Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racing a 4.3

DJ Nitrous

Racing a 4.3

I new...I have a 4.3L Vortec in a 4 dr Blzr..im gunna get flowmasters 40s true dual and a cold air intake...i wanna race my friends (biggest among them is a 2.?L 98's-10 with a stage 2 clutch (the rest r ricers)...how will i fair against them? wut else (NO engine swap sorry, parents will NOT allow) do the experts reccomend?...If this has been previously covered..please let me know...THNX

true duals lose tq....so i wouldnt reccomend that, just get mods to help it breath better, Helix Bore TB spacer, KN CIA,exhaust,headers, ect just look around for mods
    1997 Blazer LS 4x4, 18 In. Boss Motorsport 303 Wheels, Toyo Proxie S/T Tires, Dual Exhaust, No Cat, Descreened MAF, Underglow, Future Mods: Goomark Hood, CAI, Hypertech, and alot of other goodies...

jacksonville,Palm Coast, Daytona,Orlando, florida
    my buddy has a supercharger on his 4.3 . its pretty nasty
    aim*DRAGGINHARDCORE

bagged an dragged

some clips of me draggin
    http://www.hornblasters.com/vide.php?pic=19
    HARDCOREMINIS.net
    pics of my blazer an other stuff
    community.webshots.com/user/thumperc25
    http://www.cardomain.com/profile/thumperc25
    4 door love

First lemme say welcome to the board. This is the place to come to ask questions, and get the RIGHT answers. I have been on various boards, and everyone on this one will tell you straightfoward, and won't beat around the bush. Plus everyone on here is kind to you when answering questions that you or they feel is absurd.

Now onto the Blazer; Well you need to decide what route you are going to go first then go from there. Are you looking at staying N/A, or have you been thinking about a turbo, N20, or S/C. That's the first step then you go from there. When people post look at their sigs. It's not that hard to get a 4.3 in the 12's. It just boils down to how much money you are willing to spend. There are three things that it comes down to when modifying your vehicle performance or show.
    Time
    Money
    Quality
    You have to sacrifice one of those things, because unfortunetly in our world you can't have all three. Did you have any other idea's yet, or are you still thinking?
    2000 Xtremely Slow S-Dime

DJ Nitrous
    thanx for the warm welcome...(N/A?) i would like to eventually go S/C (no time soon though)..I'm pretty much still thinking...I was just wondering wut the knowledged knew or thought...on a budget on 1k, how do you all think i could fair? est time?..thnx 4 ur time

DJ Nitrous
    How much weight do you think i'll lose if i drop my spare, jack, and rear seats?

jacksonville,Palm Coast, Daytona,Orlando, florida
    maybe 30 pounds , its not worth it unless your gunhoe on the track
    aim*DRAGGINHARDCORE

bagged an dragged

some clips of me draggin
    http://www.hornblasters.com/vide.php?pic=19
    HARDCOREMINIS.net
    pics of my blazer an other stuff
    community.webshots.com/user/thumperc25
    http://www.cardomain.com/profile/thumperc25
    4 door love

If your biggest problem is racing a 98 S-10 with a 2.2L, I'd say save your money. That motors a POS. I raced a kid in one the other day on the highway, with the loaded down work van,94 E150 Ford van with poor 5.0. He kept trying to get around me, every time I'd hammer it, and start pulling away just barely.

Anyhow, watch out for some of those ricers. Well, more tuners. Ricer suck, tuners are decent if done right. My cousins Integra is getting to be pretty slick.

True duals won't make you loose low end, too big of piping will. Having too little backpressure can cause some low end loss. But, on a relatively stock motor, I'd stick with a big single system. That will help with scavaging on mid-upper hp.

I'd get a good set of headers. Exhuast is only as good as is weakest point. Exhuast manifolds don't flow very well. If you need cats, get yourself a good, highflow cat. I belive CATCO is a decent one.

You mentioned maybe adding boost later on. So, Id go ahead and redo most of the exhuast now. I"d probably look into having a custom 2 1/2" Y pipe, and joint to a single 3" exhuast. Flowmaster 40's are loud too. I like mine, but added dynomatt and insulation to my blazer to cut down on the noise.

A cold air intake will help out. Colder air will always make more power. A good ignition will also help out. Should pull some more mpg with most of the mods too.

Ditching the back seat, jack, and spare will definetly drop more than 30 lbs. My 2 door back seat weighed that much. I know the back seats in the 4 door are a little bigger. The spare tire and jack should weigh in at least 20 lbs too. I got rid of my back seat for weigh reduction, and I never used it. I didn't like having my truck stuffed full of my worthless buddies.

Oh, and N/A is natural aspirated. No forced induction.(no blower, supercharger, turbo)
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

DJ Nitrous
    dam...thanks for all the great information...that helped alot...I believe I got enuf info for a good start...thnx

DJ Nitrous
    my buddy with the s-10 has a 1100+ hp Nova, so he knows what he's doing...he's pretty quick and I've seen him kill v8's by like 2 car lengths...btw...I've took my question about sleeping a 4 dr and others thought i was crazy...do yall feel the same?

DJ Nitrous
    I have a real important question .........
    WTF is the difference b/t a 1995 4.3L Vortec and a 1996 43.L Vortec?.....i would appreciate your feedback

If he has a 98 s-10, the only 2.anything motor was the 2.2 avaialbe.

I'd love to know what he's done to it to be "killing" V8's.

I'm not sure on the differences between the 2 vortec motors. Probably just the fuel delivery/intake if anything.

What is sleeping a 4 door? Do you mean making a sleeper out of a 4 door? I thought about it, but didn't want the extra weight.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

DJ Nitrous
    the v8s he beat were stock driven by younger kids (16-18yr olds who couldn't drive and thought they were hot shit) I was trying to say that even though he has a 2.2 he's good with engines and a damn good driver (you could have the fastest car but unless u can drive it aint worth shit)...not sure wut he's done to it...but ill find out.

Is a 4dr alot heavier than a 2dr?...i guess it would be b/c its "more made" to haul more...but i wouldnt think id be alot more...o well

Oh, I was hoping he had some secret weapon. Somethng like the Ecotec(sp) 4 banger Lingenfelter build with like 1200 hp, lol.

Key for any fast ride is the correct power to weight ratio. You coudl have 800 hp, but if your truck weighs 7000 lbs, its not gonna be the fastest thing.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

My 4 door blazer weighs in at 2,900 LBS, one of my friends on AIM said his 2 door weighs 2,600LBS, so if these numbers are accurate, the 4 door only weighs 300 LBS more.