Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Racing a 4.3

DJ Nitrous
    With a new ehaust, cold air, and a chip (i currently have 190 hp) wut do you think illl be pushing?

Well exhaust really is not going to add that much horsepower, neither is the intake. Allthough they go hand in hand with one another. Your looking at maybe anywhere from 7-10hp if that. Any engine that can breathe or take in lot's of air especially cold air is good. It is worth the money in the long run though if anything else. The chip is a good idea. I don't know much about the 95's, but if they do make a chip it's well worth it. They will increase hp, increase your shift points, increase gas mileage, and increase your speedo. Don't forget though when you can mod any vehicle, but to get the best out of your modifications it's always a good idea to tune your baby till it's just right. That can take some time, but is well worth it. By just tuning, and getting traction you would be amazed at what kind of times you can pull. I would also recommend an electric fan and thermostat. Keep the engine cool. There are 2 main kinds of thermostat's that you can get. The first is a 160 degree, and the other is a 180 degree. The colder the better, but I have heard stories from both sides about how good, and how bad the 160 stat is. I have decided to go with the 180. I made a list of things to help get me started on some tuning and hp. I should have everything with in the next 3 weeks. Then I need to take my truck up to a performance shop to have it tuned just right. I really want to hit mid to low 14's N/A. Then of course I have my NX kit sitting just waiting to be installed, but some things need to come first before putting Pearl on the power gas. Here's a list of items that I plan on getting done.

MSD STUFF:
    MSD ignition system- MSD6A

Spark Plug Wire- 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire

MSD performance coils

SPARK PLUGS:
    6 NGK-TR66

COOLING:
    180 degree Thermostat
    Electric fan- Electric Fan for my X

SHIFT IMPROVER:
    B&M Shift improver

SHOCK:
    One Shock to add for increased traction

PULLEYS:
    Underdrive Pulley

That's just a start for me. The best thing to do is find someone who has done what you would like out of your truck. Begin talking to them, and get advice from them. See where they went wrong what they would change. Things like that. I think a big key to getting the low numbers at the track is traction, and tuning. You can be running 15's, and run someone who is running 14's at the track. You could win believe it or not. It's all about the traction. There are a few free modifications that you can get do now, and kinda play around with your Blazer. Check out www.mys10.com They have a great tech section with pictures, and detailed instructions.
    2000 Xtremely Slow S-Dime

DJ Nitrous
    My friend with the s10 has a newintake, headers, exhaust, chip, plugs, wires, ignition, tb spacer, and an electric fan

DJ Nitrous
    I have hurd that L35 (the engine I have) makes 200 hp rather than the usual 190...is this true???

If its a 4.3 CPI with the big orange and silver vortec logo on top, they make 200 hp and 260 ft lb's or torque (to the crank at least). Also, those stats are out of the factory, not 11 years old.

-jeff

off the subject a bit but does anyone have an aftermarket mass airflow sensor? does it work? thanks
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2424845

http://www.myspace.com/8404004

Originally posted by 02xtremeblaze
    off the subject a bit but does anyone have an aftermarket mass airflow sensor? does it work? thanks
    aftermarket maf's tend to make the motor run lean

find a good tuner and tune that biatch speed density

thanks
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2424845

http://www.myspace.com/8404004

Banned
    WickedX, your exactly right on the tuning, the intake and exaust would probably do .1 or.2 off the 1/4 like you said not much. But idk if you were talking eventually or with the mods you have but you arent going to come close to 14's with the mods listed.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

AEM brute force-
    March underdrive pullies-
    Edelbrock TES header/y-pipe kit
    2.5" exhaust w/ Borla turbo muffler
    1.6RR's
    B&M shift kit
    LS1 e-fans
    3000stall torque converter w/ tranny cooler and you wont have a problem with any of them.

or you just put a 75 shot with the first list of mods and rape 350z's and 03 and down mustang GT's

and if you want more-
    P/P, 3-way valve job, valve springs
    270AH camshaft
    Full dyno tune-

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2237034/4

Originally posted by WickedX
    Well exhaust really is not going to add that much horsepower, neither is the intake. Allthough they go hand in hand with one another. Your looking at maybe anywhere from 7-10hp if that. Any engine that can breathe or take in lot's of air especially cold air is good. It is worth the money in the long run though if anything else. The chip is a good idea. I don't know much about the 95's, but if they do make a chip it's well worth it. They will increase hp, increase your shift points, increase gas mileage, and increase your speedo. Don't forget though when you can mod any vehicle, but to get the best out of your modifications it's always a good idea to tune your baby till it's just right. That can take some time, but is well worth it. By just tuning, and getting traction you would be amazed at what kind of times you can pull. I would also recommend an electric fan and thermostat. Keep the engine cool. There are 2 main kinds of thermostat's that you can get. The first is a 160 degree, and the other is a 180 degree. The colder the better, but I have heard stories from both sides about how good, and how bad the 160 stat is. I have decided to go with the 180. I made a list of things to help get me started on some tuning and hp. I should have everything with in the next 3 weeks. Then I need to take my truck up to a performance shop to have it tuned just right. I really want to hit mid to low 14's N/A. Then of course I have my NX kit sitting just waiting to be installed, but some things need to come first before putting Pearl on the power gas. Here's a list of items that I plan on getting done.

MSD STUFF:
    MSD ignition system- MSD6A

Spark Plug Wire- 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire

MSD performance coils

SPARK PLUGS:
    6 NGK-TR66

COOLING:
    180 degree Thermostat
    Electric fan- Electric Fan for my X

SHIFT IMPROVER:
    B&M Shift improver

SHOCK:
    One Shock to add for increased traction

PULLEYS:
    Underdrive Pulley

That's just a start for me. The best thing to do is find someone who has done what you would like out of your truck. Begin talking to them, and get advice from them. See where they went wrong what they would change. Things like that. I think a big key to getting the low numbers at the track is traction, and tuning. You can be running 15's, and run someone who is running 14's at the track. You could win believe it or not. It's all about the traction. There are a few free modifications that you can get do now, and kinda play around with your Blazer. Check out www.mys10.com They have a great tech section with pictures, and detailed instructions.
    is urs an automatic if so. a torque 3200 to 3400 stall torque converter and tranny cooler w/ a good set of tires could DO ALOT OF GOOD. the march pullies are good. the msd shit is a waste for n/a. y-pipe is shit stock so go with either custom or edelbrock TES system. can be modified 2 fit any year easily. just weld up egr tube. shorter gears (not good for nitrous). AEM brute force intake and a custom tune from hellsbent10 over on s10forum.com- he is AN AWSOME TUNER- his shop is building a 10second s10 right now and he is the tuner. tuned my computer 4 the turbo

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2237034/4

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    Originally posted by 02Vortech
    AEM brute force-
    March underdrive pullies-
    Edelbrock TES header/y-pipe kit
    2.5" exhaust w/ Borla turbo muffler
    1.6RR's
    B&M shift kit
    LS1 e-fans
    3000stall torque converter w/ tranny cooler and you wont have a problem with any of them.

or you just put a 75 shot with the first list of mods and rape 350z's and 03 and down mustang GT's

and if you want more-
    P/P, 3-way valve job, valve springs
    270AH camshaft
    Full dyno tune-
    So, Edlebrock makes a header kit for the latter 4.3? Got a part number by chance? Did you have any problems with the 1.6 RR's, because that is the next thing that I was thinking about doing. Currently, I have the following mods installed:

Optima red-top
    Taylor wires, E3 plugs
    B&M Transpak
    3.43 posi
    Flowmaster 40 series cat-back (2.5")
    K&N cone filter
    Flexalite 210 fans
    Hypertech power programmer 3
    Hypertech 160* T-stat

Haven't had it to the track yet, but it pulls pretty hard from 3000rpm and up. I was thinking about a 3000rpm stall and the 1.6rr's next. Just wondering if the heads needed to be modified to make them work.

Speaking of 1.6 roller rockers, can I throw a set on without it screwing up the factory computer and/or throwing codes?
    Anyone running them currently?
    Is it worth the trouble?
    What kind of inprovements were (or were not) noticed?
    Thanks!
    For my 97 4.3 if you need to know.

Originally posted by Gtomonster
    Speaking of 1.6 roller rockers, can I throw a set on without it screwing up the factory computer and/or throwing codes?
    Anyone running them currently?
    Is it worth the trouble?
    What kind of inprovements were (or were not) noticed?
    Thanks!
    For my 97 4.3 if you need to know.
    you cna throw them on but depending on the cam your running you need to make sure the heads can support the extra lift

96> heads are only good for about.480-.490" lift in stock form

Banned
    count on .030 more lift with 1:6's

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4