Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MaX PoWeR

haha
    john with his internet knowledge! haha

but I also wanted to add, check out www.howstuffworks.com I absoloutly love that site, you can learn anything from how a 2 stoke motor cycle works, to how to build a nuclear bomb. Check it out.
    Hold my hammer while I nail your girlfriend

I know, I know, j/k. Thanks man. I've spent a lot of time and money on it. Its my baby, because I've worked for it. I've earned it, and I appreciate it more than someone who didn't.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

layin' crossmember-member uglyjed's Avatar

8MPG TO THE RESCUE....

EXCELLENT CALL.....THAT'S WHY THEY PAY YOU THE BIG BUCKS.:bigthumb:
    Always under construction always learning.

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    When I first got my jeep, I was scared of it. I didn't know anything, and I didn't want to mess it up. My first big job on it was changing the oil pan gasket. I was so inept.
    Then I got the blazer, and It's a 50/50. I'm learning more every day, which is good. But It's usually because something breaks, which is bad.
    But I came here, and I look at parts, and I have an active imagination, and I'm not scared to take things apart on my truck.
    and I have learned TONS from it. But make sure you put it back together the right way.
    I agree with everyone, read, learn, and there is no such thing as a stupid question..
    Except that guy who asked
    'What do I tweed my dash with'...
    I'm sorry whoever that was, I couldn't resist.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

hey there lil blaze ive been following this thread for a little bit and i just had to reply to what these other guys been telling you. I was 14 once too even though i had a lot of automotive knowledge by that time i was still asking what some considered a stupid question. I ve been around shops all my life and come from a family of mechanics and automotive customizers, and the only way you gonna get to know your shit is get out there and live and learn get some hands on. Ill tell you this much who ever told you to read a book about this to learn what you want to know aint to good of a mechanic. you learn how to work on cars by gettin hands on. you want some good advise. your 14 right, try to get a part time job at a shop then youll be next to some experienced mechanics that should be able to give you all your answers you require plus probally hook you up with some good deals for parts for your truck. one of those guys did give some good advise though go the track and hang out go ask those guys questions let them know your just starting out. latz

A book is a great way to start out basic learning. And if he had access to mechanics and shops, I don't think he'd be ignorant on the subject. I don't know of any shop that will hire an inexperienced hand, espacially a 14 yr old kid. Trust me I tried at 16, and I was decently knowledgable.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    I have to stick with reading for starters.
    You crack open your hood and start tinkering, who knows what you're doing, then you screw something simple up that you don't know how to fix.
    Reading will give you a basic understanding of what you're messing around with and how everything works and why its there.
    THEN go to hands on, and get more involved.
    I've tried to get a job at a shop too.
    Midas, down the road, hired my girlfriends brother. He put 5 quarts of oil into a caravan, ran it for 20 seconds to circulate it, and then realized he didn't have a filter on.
    He also said this guy's transmission fluid had a burnt smell. He drained it, and filled it with fresh tranny fluid, but it only took 4 quarts. He had put tranny fluid in the oil, thats why it smelled burnt.
    I like to believe I'm competent with some things, but even I could do his job, with one hand, and they won't hire me.
    Short story long...
    Read, understand, tinker, read again, really understand, then do it on your own

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

Yeah, I know. My dads, buddies, father, took his truck into the dealership to get an oil change. It was like a 91, but had really low miles, ford with a 351. They drained the oil, put on a new filter, then forgot to put oil back into it. They drove it out of the shop, then the motor froze in the parking lot. They called him, told him what happened, then told him they would find a motor from the yard, and install it for free within the week. He told them, 330-555-5555. The manager asked what that was, he said that was the number for his lawyer. The manager said, We'll call you when your NEW motors in Mr. Tippell, lol!!
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

im not saying all shops are honest. Ive met some very crooked mechanics in my day. Im sorry for yalls misfortune but thats life. for this kid to get some knowledge hes got to get out there in the field and learn. Some do learn better from books that is very true. but every mechanic ive ever met is better with hands on learning. Im a mechanic in the army and the only way new mechanics learn is get out in the bay tinker around with things. I did not say he'll be a master mechanic first time out. Plus every high school with a Vo Tech. has some type of apprentice deal. were you can go put to use what you learn in class. Ask about VOCATIONAL INDUSTRIAL CLUBS of AMERICA. thats gonna give you the start you need. The way i learned about things was taking them apart and putting them back together, but maybe thats just me. regardless get a hold of any type of learning material you can that is to your advantage. I understand pretty much all arguements that have been presented on this thread. plus im not trying to shoot anyone else down, except for those that kick others when they are down. lil blaze had a very good point "Everybodys got to start somewhere" keep on doing what you doing lil blaze, asorb as much info as you can.