Thread: Squeaky brakes

Squeaky brakes

My back rear drum is squeaking like hell and its annoying. Plus it doesnt look good when im trying to sell my truck. I put new pad on several thousand miles ago. At first I thought it was cause I didnt put the anti-squeal shit that came with the pads. I think its past that stage.

I think it might be the drum it self. I was having trouble taking the drum off when I was doing the breaks. My neighbor who owns a body shop said to hit the drums with a hammer. I did that with no luck so I took a sledge hammer and I think i dented it too much. Could that be the reason why I'm sueaking. Think I can jsut get a new drum at a junkyard or something cheap?

i got my blazer inspected yesterday and i had to buy new rotors from Advance Auto. i didnt realize that i had no brakes on the back. they said that the rivets had even worn off . the rotors were 25.00 a piece. the shop can turn the rotor with a lathe but mine were too deep to do that so i had to buy new ones. BTW: they had a hell of a time getting the rotors off. the guy used a screwdriver and prised up in spots to get it off

blazinlow.com's honda guy Bangin' Blazer's Avatar
    squeak could be from an out-of-round drum. the trick with the hammer is that the vibration from the hit would loosen it up (supposed to use soft face hammers or rubber mallets unless its siezed bad. then your supposed to use a puller) we get lazy sometimes and use ball-peen hammers to knock them off, but i have never seen anyone hit a drum so hard to make a dent! that must've been some whack you gave it. only suggestions i have is to adjust the shoes again and get the drum turned, or get a new drum

one question tho, does it always squeak? or is it when the brakes are cold. drums on my car squeak at first when they are cold, but it stops once i make a stop from bout 25mph.
    wrecked the Blazer,
    guess my name changed from "Bangin' Blazer" to "Bang into 18-wheeler Blazer"

The other side came off with no problem. I did the adjuster thing in the back of the drum and it caem right off. I went to do the one that Im having the squeak problem with. Instead of loosening the pads i tightened them. I did it for a while. I called up my neighbor at his shop and he said to hit it with a hammer. I took a regular hammer to the face and it didnt do anything. At first i was hitting the axle (i think...the part the the center of the rim mounts on) and dented that a lil. I called him up and he said hit the actual drum. I did that more and it didnt do anything and called him again. He said get a bigger hammer so I got a sledge. Hit the lugs a few times and had to recut the threads. It was a while ago and I forgot how I finally got them off. I think I just did that adjuster thing in the back till i couldnt do it anymore and it came off.

When I got the bubble in my tire I put my stocks back on. I had to fight to get that rim on. My drum wobbles around a good deal now when I have the rim off. I can wobble it like 1/4" but I cant put it right off.

The break squeals almost everytime I stop. Sometimes it doesnt (it squeaks like 85-90% of the time) WHen it squeaks I let off the brake a lil and it stops most of the time. The other day when I had a lot of rain and kept going through deep ass puddles my brakes didnt squeak that day and most of the next.

Ok, I switched the drums around and I still have the squealing coming from the same side. I know its not the drum now, what else could it be? I put some anti-squeal stuff on the right side too