Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front end rattle I cant find!

front brake caliper

I bet it is your caliper, i have the same thing on mine, 180k plus miles they wear out. I had no idea till i noticed the holes ovaled and the pins worn down, now even with no bumps it just chatters back and forth, very not cool on the street, just got new tires, shocks and hope to get some used brake parts to stop this and put it all on at once. You can check it by moving the vehicle back and forth in nuetral and if it makes a small noise or you can see the caliper slightly move thats what it is.

08-23-2003 09:31 PM was the last post, how did you find this?
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI

mine rattled and I could't figure it out for the longest time, turned out to be the wiper cowl rattling.
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

The rattle is still there

This is an old post, and no I still havenít isolated the noise, just learned to live with it no matter how embarrassing.

I cannot duplicate/re-create the sound when I try to find it (very frustrating), but in normal driving it rattles all the time. Itís definitely in the wheel, not the cowl (that thing makes itís own sound). I do think itís the calipers now, because I can stop the rattle by gently touching the brake pedal. Some one had suggested checking the o-rings for the guide pins/bolts, and yes, some of them are missing (broke,fell-out,etc?). There is a hardware kit available that has these o-rings. Iíll install it next time I need front pads & report back on this website if it cured the problem.

UPDATE: I found it

Originally posted by secondwon
    I bet it is your caliper, i have the same thing on mine, 180k plus miles they wear out. I had no idea till i noticed the holes ovaled and the pins worn down,
    Yes thats exactly what is was, the CALIPER. Rattling on it's dowel pins. I noticed the rubber bushings for the pins were gone, so I bought a $9 "brake hardware" kit, installed the new rubbers, and the sound stopped!
    This was after I had spent alot of money on new ball-joints & CV axles that probably didnt need replacing.

BUT, after a month the sound returned? I saw the new rubbers were gone again? (I had saved the still-decent rubbers from the opposette side) So I installed the old rubbers, but they wouldnt stay in place. Thats when I noticed the holes had worn oval from all that time rattling. I didnt want to have to replace the calipers after spending all that other money unnessecarily.

SO, what I did was get a set of rubber vacuum plugs, and placed two of the (either 1/4 or 3/8) plugs over the ends of the dowel-pins. They were long enough to stay on, thick enough to take-up space in the ovaled holes, but not too thick as to hinder the movement of the caliper. That WORKED! Nice & quiet. They've been on for 4 months and one is just staring to tear. I should really replace the caliper, but this quick fix is working very well. I am now looking for a more durable material, like polyethelene, or those hard plastic shipping caps that come on tube fittings on some new automotive parts. That'll work untill I bite the bullet & replace the caliper.