Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need help with my loud ass engine squeak...PLEASE!!!

Angry i need help with my loud ass engine squeak...PLEASE!!!

ok, heres the deal. First of all, i have an '87 fuel-injected 2.8L V6. my truck squeaks like hell when i first crank it up. if i let it sit for maybe 4-5 minutes, the sqeak will sometimes eventually go away.

OR...after i crank it up and it is squeaking, i can drive it right away and the sqeak will go away after i get to about 20 - 25mph.

it also squeaks sometimes when i turn my wheel and the RPM's get low, which also makes my truck almost stall out.

it ALSO starts sqeakin again if i floor and and downshift (automatic) , but thats just an instant sqeak, not the usual long and drawn out squeaks.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    Yahoo! Messenger = wintermc
    AOL Messenger = wintermc2

i know its coming from my belt or pulleys, and i dont think that the belt is out of alignment. i just cant figure out how to fix it

how long has it been since youve replaced the belt??
    -98 Chevy S10 ZR2 - Stock
    -92 Chevy Blaze - Gone but Not Forgotten
    -97 Chevy Suburban - 6.5 TurboDiesel - New Project

Change your belt... If it comes back, then change your tensioner...
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

i changed my belt last summer and that wasnt the problem

buy that spray that goes on the belt, stops squeeks, or i heard u can even use a bar of soap if ya wanna go ghetto/cheap :D
    -MiZZiE

'89 GMC s15 4.3L 2wd. Lowered.

'88 Camaro 305v8 5spd (For Sale/Trade)
    http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100029866.html

Is it a squeal or a squeak? If it is a squeal, then it is probably your belt. But if it is a squeak, it may be one of your accessories.
    '87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    like the P/S pump, since it does it at low rpm's when you turn the wheel. Check the fluid level in the P/S system.

LOL, it's your power steering pump dude! Check the fluid, they don't really ever go bad unless seal in the front is out... :)

Likw the other guys said. It's probably the belt. Does your engine have a serprntine belt? If you are not sure the serpentine belt is about 3/4 of an inch wide. Basically flat with ribs on one side an flat on the other. If this is what you have you may have a bac tensioner or a bad idler. The tensioner has 2 little rasied marks on the side that is bolted to the engine. On the side that moves there is a single raised mark. This single mark shoule line up between the 2 marks when your belt is on and tight. If it does not line up the belt may be loose which will allow it to slip causing the squeal. I based my description on the 4.3 serpentine tensioner. Yours may be different. Someone else can comment on that.

Another possibility with the serpentine system is a bad idler pulley. These are the round things the belt rides on that do not move (other than to rotate). They are used to form the path the belt will follow as it travels from accessary to accessory. These have a bushing or bearing that can wear out. They are not too expensive and are easy to replace.

If you do not have a serpentine system, even though you replaced the belts last year they can and do stretch a small amount. If the belt was barely tight enough when you installed it the stretch could have been enough to allow it to slip.

When a belt is cold it is like a cold tire. The traction is not as good as when it is hot. After a few minutes, especially a few minutes of slipping, the bely will warm up enough to grab the pullies and stop slipping/squealing. Serpentine or traditional belts will eventually fail if they are slipping. You don't want to throw a belt when you are driving.

One last thought. Like the other guys said check you steering pump. Also check the alternator. When my alternator died on my 4.3 noma the bearing failed and locked up the alternator. It froze up and stalled the engine. I was able to push the clutch in and coast around a corner onto a side street.

If you want to listen to a particular accessory use a wooden dowel. Put one end on the accessory and put your ear on your fist as you hold the other end. You will hear the noises being made by the accessory. Put it on a valve cover to hear your rocker arms. Put it on the pump oralternator to see which one is squealing. This is a cheap version of a mechanics stethascope.

Let us know what you find.

BOBH
    BOBH

93 2wd 4d Jimmy, 92 Sonoma Xcab, 4.3 5 speed

a bad power-steering pump would cause the truck to almost stall/stall out? didn't know that.
    -MiZZiE

"a bad power-steering pump would cause the truck to almost stall/stall out? didn't know that."

I didn't say the power steering pump would stall the engine. A locked up alternator will stop the engine dead.
    Last edited by bobh; 08-27-2003 at 05:10 PM.
    BOBH

Cool, i wasn't being sarcastic or anything, i was just wondering cause i have a similar problem.
    -MiZZiE

No problem. At first I thought you were but then realized you weren't.

My only experience with a bad power steering pump was on my son's Ford Tempo. (awesome machine!) The pump was leaking enough that he had to refill the reservoir every few days. The pump never made any real bad noises, just a wirrring sound. But since it was leaking fluid it soaked the belt which would slip occasionally and squeal. I finally replaced the pump and the belt. The fliud also was spread all over the engine compartment on the side near the pump by the belt. It was a mess. On a Tempo it is a pain in the rear to change the pump. Shouldn't be too bad on an S10.

By the way, when my number 2 son gets enough experience behind the wheel we will be ready to sell the Tempo and get something better for college. You guys can start bidding now if you like.
    BOBH

Heres my bid, Bid $0.52 :D just kiddin, i got a funny story about a riced out tempo i seen in memphis but i don't feel like typin it now- lol.
    -MiZZiE