Thread: '89 S-10 Blazer 4.3, Rough Starts.. Help?

Unhappy '89 S-10 Blazer 4.3, Rough Starts.. Help?

Ok, i have an '89 S-10 Blazer, 4.3 V6. Well, here is my problem. After letting the truck sit for a few hours, when i go to start it back up, here is what happans. If i just try to start it without pressing the gas, the engine will turn over, but then it will just kind of "Bobble" in a sense.. really roughly.. like it will chug real hard for a few seconds trying to run smooth, and then just stall. But if i start the truck and give it some gas for a few seconds, then you can feel it start rough for a second and then you can let off the gas and it will be fine after that.. after that it runs perfect, never stalls or has any problem, run great and idles great. But the thing is this, usually after letting it sit for a few hours, while starting it up (and pressing the gas..) it will let out a little bit of smoke, but after a second or two it is fine. The truck NEVER smokes at all while driving or anything like that, it only does it after letting it sit for a few hours and then starting it. Sometimes it lets out a little more smoke than other times.. sometimes i will go start up the truck in the morning and see the smoke blow out, and sometimes it will barely smoke at all while starting. And after the initial start after sitting for hours, it will fire right up after that.. like if i start it up for the first time in hours and blow out all the smoke, then if i turn it off and start it again, it will start up just perfect. It seems like once i rev it up and blow out all the junk its fine for the day.. or at least until i let it sit for another several hours. So is there anyway to fix this, to make it start right the first time everytime and not puff out a little smoke the fist time, or is it just oil leaking through gaskets and there is nothing i can do? Thanks guys! Sorry for the long post, but i hope you can help me out!
    - Mike
    - 1998 S-10, Ext cab, 4.3 V6, Front Bags

check your spark plugs..i bet one or more is covered in oil. i think you gotta bad piston ring(s) or vavle seals. mine does the exact same thing and i found one spark plug covered in oil which means oil is getting past the pistons or valves and causing hard starts or a hesitation when you accelerate hard

Originally posted by pr1mo360
    check your spark plugs..i bet one or more is covered in oil. i think you gotta bad piston ring(s) or vavle seals. mine does the exact same thing and i found one spark plug covered in oil which means oil is getting past the pistons or valves and causing hard starts or a hesitation when you accelerate hard
    Yeah, thats what i figured. So i guess there really is no easy way to solve the problem eh? My uncle is a mechanic.. without labor, how much do ya think it would cost to replace the pison rings, and how long ya think it would take? If i just leave it be, will it hurt anything.. do you think it will get much worse.. i plan on having the truck for a while and dont want it to blow up or anything.. think it will be alright for a few years? Thanks!
    - Mike

Whoa Whoa, hold on their guys. Why does everyone say you have a huge problem when all information is not known. Trouble shoot it a bit before you tell someone they need an engine overhaul. Jeez.

First off, what color is the smoke in the morning?

Secondly, the hard starts and chugging at start up is NOT because of worn piston rings, it is a fuel problem. When you let it sit for a while, if there is a leak in the line or the fuel pump check valve is faulty, the fuel pressure will bleed off causing no fuel pressure at startup. That is why when you hold the throttle open at startup you can get it going.

Faulty rings would not cause a startup condition like this. That might be a separate problem all together.

It's:

1.) A weak fuel pump
    2.) A plugged Fuel filter
    3.) A faulty check valve in your fuel system
    4.) A leak in one of your fuel lines.

The smoke can be caused by a couple things and what I would start off looking at is the headgasket being blown.

Baby steps guys, baby steps.

I'd hate to see a guy redo his engine only to find out it was a fuel filter or a faulty check valve or something.

you saying hard starting and smoke CANT be caused by oil leaking into the combustion chamber?
    smoke and hard starting is some damn good signs that oil is leaking internally,but your right he MAY have a fuel problem..thats why i said to check the spark plugs, i didnt say take apart the engine to see if you have bad rings

Having one cylinder fouling will cause it to run rough, but it will be able to start no problem.

What we really need to know is what colour the smoke is when he starts it up.

Ok, well i got my friend to watch this morning when i started up my truck. He said a puff of White smoke came out, he said that it did have a tint of blue to it. But after that one puff, its fine unless i let it sit for 8 hours or something. Thanks guys!
    - Mike

Don't worry to much about the thing smoking when you start it. The white/bluish smoke is just oil buring off. It's usually due to bad valve seals. It's not that big a deal and doesn't really mess anything up. Mine has been doing it for 4+ years and it still runs the same as it did 4 years ago. and still smokes evertime i start it, i've learned to say.. ahh fuck it who cares anymore.

As for the starting problem, it could just be due to carbon buildup. Try running some cleaner throught the system to see if it helps. Always try the cheapest solution first. I would not put alot of money into a vehicle that is like 15 years old. But thats just my 2 cents.

is it thick white smoke and does it smell sweet?

If it does, you might have a head gasket gone. That would explain the compression loss and some antifreeze and oil gettinto into the combustion chamber.

Also, check your fuel system.