Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 to awd conversion???

Originally posted by goindiffrent
    I gotta question about the conversion too. I read somewhere here, nd I think its in the truck book, that you shouldnt drive over about 45 in $x4. How would converting the truck to AWD effect the front driveline? Obviosly I am going to be driving over 45, but I wouldnt want to trash the front axle out either. Any input on this?
    The 4x4 transfer case is designed to be used off road for max
    traction with torque distribution near 50/50.
    On the other hand the AWD case is designed to run full time
    for max traction on the street with torque distribution at
    40/60. The only differences in the front differentials is that
    the 4x4 differental has a vacuum actuated lock in lock out function that is not present in the AWD differential.
    The input flanges and drive shafts are different from the 4x4 to the AWD.

To answer your question:
    As long as the same gear ratio is used in the front and back
    and the same tire size is used you will be ok.

Zach
    Last edited by zach; 09-23-2003 at 10:37 AM.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low

I hope he has an epileptic fit while holding that chainsaw and takes himself and his boyfriend out.

85 4x4 AWD mustang killing
    LT-4 powered bad
    mama jama.

Cool. You brought up another question for me though ( sorry, just getting started on investigating the swap). What do you do with the vacuum actuated lock when you convert to AWD?
    Last edited by goindiffrent; 09-23-2003 at 11:00 AM.
    2004 Xtreme

I am going to whip up something on the CNC mill at work
    to take the place of the actuator in the housing. I have not
    checked into this fully yet but I think it will be simple to
    do.

Zach
    Originally posted by Blazin Low

I hope he has an epileptic fit while holding that chainsaw and takes himself and his boyfriend out.

85 4x4 AWD mustang killing
    LT-4 powered bad
    mama jama.

Originally posted by goindiffrent
    I gotta question about the conversion too. I read somewhere here, nd I think its in the truck book, that you shouldnt drive over about 45 in $x4. How would converting the truck to AWD effect the front driveline? Obviosly I am going to be driving over 45, but I wouldnt want to trash the front axle out either. Any input on this?
    the way my syclone is set up. the t-case gives 35% to the front and 65% to the rear.it has a safari AWD t-case, but the front housing is diffrent. on a regular 4x4 there is a actuator (sp) in the frint end that works with the vac switch in the t-case.so your gonna have to get the front end set up off of a AWD.
    Last edited by syclonekid43; 09-23-2003 at 11:20 PM.
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Instead of getting the whole front setup.Just grab the inside of a bravada....its one peice.

Wow dude did you check the dates on the thread you're like 7 years to late.

Wow... I went to read this thread and noticed Zach posting about AWD. My Jimmy is Zach's old Jimmy. Awesome find here!

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrath609 View Post
    Alrighty,,, i have a 93 blazer and my 4x4 doesn't work! I took it to the shop cuz i couldn't find vacuum leaks, well they told my the gears in my transfer case were stripped? anyone ever heard of this? and what year would work for my 93 blazer out of the astro van? is it cheaper? are they hard to put in?
    the AWD t case outta an Oldsmobile Bravada would be a better swap cuz their "Smartrac" system is a beautifull thing. Posing locker with discs out back and limited slip up front.

old thread but i own a 1998 smarttrak bravada and the awd is very nice and ive driven a lot of car through the shop. i can floor it and turn the wheel in pouring rain and it will not slip at all. i'll throw my passenger into the window though lol. 4.3 by itself isn't enough though. supercharge or turbo it and you will have what your looking for.:smoker:

awd vs 4x4 - awd uses a viscous clutch, so when you turn to make any sort of turn, u turn a casual turn and so on the viscous clutch allows for slippage between the front and rear wheels is the easiest way to put it allowing you to drive on wet dry snowy condtions. 4x4 is similar but without a viscous clutch, just essentially a chain from the through shaft or whatever the proper name is then the chain goes to the output for your front output, so now try making a sharp turn, your front will try to plow because the front to rear wheel speeds are all different, essentially in the end can blow out gears/transfer case and so on. thats the easiest way to sum it up

Banned
    wow look at those past users lol. One upon a time, long long ago.....

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    I'm thinking bout yanking my Typhoon 30% / 70% transfercase and replacing it with a Blazer push button on the fly unit Just so I can turn it off in the summer for better fuel economy. Yeah I know it will be 40% / 60% if I do but it will be off all summer (Yippy rear wheel burnouts) A unti with 12,000 Mi on it went for only $225 on Syty.net mines got 100,000 + but in perfect condition. If it happens this winter I'll be posting it for sale. I'll let you know.
    "All I need iz 1 mic"

Quote Originally Posted by C-Town216 View Post
    I'm thinking bout yanking my Typhoon 30% / 70% transfercase and replacing it with a Blazer push button on the fly unit Just so I can turn it off in the summer for better fuel economy. Yeah I know it will be 40% / 60% if I do but it will be off all summer (Yippy rear wheel burnouts) A unti with 12,000 Mi on it went for only $225 on Syty.net mines got 100,000 + but in perfect condition. If it happens this winter I'll be posting it for sale. I'll let you know.
    Don't check thread dates much, do you. This thread was started in 2003.

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    And... Some were started in 99 and still going.
    "All I need iz 1 mic"