Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gotta a sb 350 for free!!!

Smile gotta a sb 350 for free!!!

today my buddy told me about a 350 4 bolt main that some guy was scrapping. origionally the guy was going to build it up and put it in his race car but he lost interest in it. so i said i would take it. its got a spun bearing. it didn't come with heads or an intake, so its basically just a short block. i have no idea what year it is or what it is out of.

i was wondering if you guys had any cool ideas of what kinda engine i could build. i have about a $1500cnd budget to build this engine. my dad is a street rodder and he owns his own custom car shop so i have a lot of connections for parts, mostly used, and for machining.

i plan on finding a first jen s-10 reg cab, short box to put it in (nice and light). and i want it to through you in your seat pretty good. im gonna go to the strip every once and a while with my buddies so i want it to have a decent et. i also have a stock complete 350 2 bolt out of a 71 chevelle for parts and a complete 305 out of a 85 chevy pickup. for a tranny i have a rebuilt th400 with a shift kit and a torque converter called a saturday night special so im thinking its good for racing.

so if u guys could help i would appreciate your input:D
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

would it work if i used the 350 block with 327 heads? i can get a set of rebuilt ones for very cheap (free!), so thats why im considering this combo.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Yep. SBC heads are all interchangible (sp) except for 400 SCB heads. I do believe they require some kind of vent holes.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

will there be an increase or decrease over 350 heads. I have no clue what year the 327 heads are but im pretty sure they are rebuilt and i will also be having a 3 way valve job done on them, and have them ported and polished.

i meant an increase or decrease in horsepower.

get the last 3 digits of the head casting number, . post the numbers and we can tell you what they were on.

You also have to watch out for stupid things like accessory mounting holes (or lack there of)
    Last edited by bigjsp; 09-15-2003 at 08:20 PM.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Yea. What pops said.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

ill get right on it.

my dad just gave me a the whole 283 (it's the engine with the 327 heads i wanna use). i did some reading on the net i found out that if i put the 283 crank in the 350 block with the 350 rods and pistons it will make me an awesome 302 rated at 400hp at the flywheel.

im gonna do it. and im still gonna use the 327 heads it u guys think i should.

The world of the Chevy 302...

Welcome to the 70's...
    DD - 2002 GMC Sierra ECLB 5.3l 2wd *330hp, 350ftlbs at the wheels*
    Toy - 2004 Pontiac GTO 1 of 323 *too much power for a purple car*
    Project(s) - Something with two wheels.

Originally posted by ((fLamED 4x4))
    my dad just gave me a the whole 283 (it's the engine with the 327 heads i wanna use). i did some reading on the net i found out that if i put the 283 crank in the 350 block with the 350 rods and pistons it will make me an awesome 302 rated at 400hp at the flywheel.

im gonna do it. and im still gonna use the 327 heads it u guys think i should.
    I think you need to do some more research. Particularly how the stroke of a 283 can use the same piston and rod as a longer stroke 350 and still get the piston high enoungh in the cylinder to have compression.

The "400 hp" 302s were usually turned 8000 rpms or more and only driven on Saturdays but it sure it would sound sweet all cammed up with a modern 6 speed standard and some 4.56s.

302s are sick. but i hiughly doubt u can jsut use 350 rods an pistons. im almost posotive theres more to it then that. the 327 heads are great, as long as they are not the low performance liek truck heads or wahteve.r look on teh front of the heads. if u see a symbol that has two humps then they are good. commonly reffered to as camel hump heads, or powerpack heads, or somethign else i forget. the 302 woudl be sweet, but if u want it to feel like its got a lot of poewr then buoild it has a 350. u won;t make very much torque withthe 302. sure it will scream liek crazsy on teh high end and make a shutload of HP, but for fun street use and the feeling of a very powerful motor i'd go 350. and ther are a lot fo expenses u r forgettign about with teh 302. its gonan be a hell of a lot cheaper to build a 350.

personally, i'd build that 283 for some nostalgia. pop the hood at a shwo and u have a 283, the hot rod guys will love it

thas how i am with the 327
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

327 block and a 283 crank makes a 302 ci. Not a 283 crank in a 350 block.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

u know ...... i thought it woudl work.. i jstu realizedwaht the problem was.. 350 block has large jourtnals... u msut have a SMALL journal 327 block to make a 302. u wqould think it woudl work cause 327 and 350 have same bore, but the journal size is the problem. 283s all had small journals.
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

i suppose you could use bearning spacers though.. but that woudl be stupiud
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi