Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gotta a sb 350 for free!!!

i have no clue, these heads are on an engine right now thats sitting at my dads shop. the only thing i can tell u as of now is that they are from the 70's and have been recently completely rebuilt to stock specs i think. i will be haveing them ported and polished and having a 3 way valve job done. i don't know if this info will help any.

does using 1.6 rocker arms just compinsate for a small cam? what are they usually stock, 1.5? if so im just gonna stick with them.

i was looking at some engine combos and have done some comparing and found a large power gain using an Edelbrock 750 carb and a performer rpm intake. is this too much for my for my 350 project?

for now i wanna just put a 305 out of a 85 fullsize in a s-10, can i use that intake , carb and my cam in it to give it some power until i complete the bottom end of my 350. then ill just put the intake carb and cam in the 350 and put it in the s-10, so my question is will the 750 carb, preformer rpm intake and my wolverine cam work well with the 305 for now or should i just leave it stock? i wouldn't mind have some fun with the 305 while its in. sorry for all of the questions, i really appreciate this.

thanks
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

my freind said his dad would sell me his Edelbrock PRo Ram 2 dual tunnel ram for $20!!!! what size carbs would i run with this? should i just stick with the idea from my last post? what kinda performance increase do u usually expect using a tunnel ram?

thanks

While I appreciate the youthful exuberance desiring a powerful power, a running stock V-8 s10 is going to be more fun than an incomplete dream machine in the garage. So get it running first before you run out of money. Then add the performance support stuff one project at a time, headers, exhaust, traction aids, then when you get you big motor built, your trucks ready for it.

ANYWAYS, I would suggest buying the tunnel ram for 20 bucks and putting on the shelf next to your 283 cranked project as that one will need to rev to make power

For tunnel ram carb size, the smarter people are running 390's or 600's some run 660s or even larger

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    I would put a nice Holley 600 or 650 ontop of the 350 you have now. Don't go tunnel ram. Do what bigjsp said. He's old... he knows. haha.. Just kidding pops.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

well i have a tunnel ram in my posession.

bigjsp- if u read my earlier post that is exactly what i am doing, i am putting in a 305, that i already have, for now. as for the 350 project it is coming together fast. within the course of like 2 weeks i have rounded up a 350 block, a new cam, a 283, 2 sets of heads (all free), the block was going to be washed and flushed and a new set of cam bearings installed but the guy was too busy so it is going in this week. just because im young it doesn't mean its not going to happen. im in no hurry to finish the 350, the 305 will do fine for now. so im just asking a few question so i don't screw anything up in the process. as for the tunnel ram im not sure what im gonna do with it, but you can't go wrong for $20.
    smarter people???

A couple things you do need to find out. The heads you have. What is the max lift on them, what are the valve sizes, and what are the intake runner sizes. You can port and polish anything, it still doesn't mean that it's going to work best for what you want. You may have a set of heads that are shit for what you want to build. Those are key factors in engine building. SPECS!
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

the spec are coming, the parts are at my dads shop and it is about a half hour away from my house. i still nedd to pull the heads off of the engine and recheck the casting numbers, with the numbers i was able to read, old car guy doesn't think they match so im gonna just pull the heads and check them out for myself. the other set of heads that i can get are the origional ones off of my 350 but they may have been thrown out and i have no idea what condition they are in.

u dont; need to puill the heads off. jsut the valve covers... its very easy to misread numbers sometimes like 8 and 6
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

i know i don't need to pull the heads lol. i just wanna check out the chambers and valves for myself.

These stock heads.... are they going on top of something high performance?

What I mean by that is, are you going to be running dual carburetors, a tunnel ram, 9.5:1 compression, 214/224 cam, etc with stock heads?

I will tell you my opinion and I hope you don't get mad by taking this as an insult and not a word of advice.

Tunnel rams are not made for street. They do not start contributing power untill the RPMs of your engine are way up there. With them you have to run 2 carburetors. If all you're going to be running is 9.5:1 compression you'd have to run basically dual 300cfm carburetors. I don't see a point in the tunnel ram unless you're going to be running higher compression and racing. Also the cam you're running isn't going to be putting out the power by the time the engine gets going fast enough for the tunnel ram to kick.

Stock heads. You don't know whether or not the heads you've got have a 150cc intake runner or a 190cc intake runner. That plays a big factor in how your engine operates at what RPM. If you have a smaller intake runner the engine will have better low end torque but starve at higher RPMs. If you have larger intake runners the engine is going to have less torque but will be able to breath better at higher RPMs. Another thing about stock heads. If you're running pressed-in rocker studs they have a chance of popping out at higher rpms. They will be ok for street use but don't plan on taking your engine above 5000rpm. You don't know what size combustion chambers you have. That leads me to this question. How do you know what compression you're going to be running? If you have pistons that are RATED for 9.5:1 compression they are probably rated for a .030 over cylinder and a 64cc combustion chamber.

Your engine has to be built as a package deal. The intake has to work with the heads. The heads have to work with the cam.

Some morals.

-Don't put a tunnel ram on with that cam and stock heads. There is no point to put one on top of small intake runners and a low-end torque making cam.

-If you do go with a tunnel ram, the stock heads, and that cam go with the 2 smallest carburetors you can find.

-A tunnel ram only works as good as it looks when you know what you're doing when putting together your engine. Don't build your Blazer like half the other "Pro Street" cars.... all show and no go.

-Make your engine components work together at the same RPM ban. Don't have a cam rated for 1500-4500rpm with a tunnel ram rated for 3500-7500rpm with heads that are rated (work best) at off-idle to 4000rpm.

That is all.

Catching Second - I definately wouldn't take that as an insult. this is why im on this site, to have guys like u who know there stuff to help me out with the proper information and what i should and should not do. the tunnel ram just came up as a great deal and i was going to buy it no matter what, but ya i agree with you, it was just an idea that i didn't know would work or not and obviously it would just be overkill for my application. when i find out what size the chambers are on the heads, i will match a set of pistons accordingly to get my desired compression ratio. thanks for the info

keep'em comin'
    Last edited by ((fLamED 4x4)); 09-21-2003 at 11:18 PM.

S0me of the competition eliminator boys in NHRA have done the short stroke large bore motor combo you have talked about as the theory is wider the cylinder bore the more breathing room the valves have. But these are 10000 RPM motors in a 1350 pound dragster.

But they scream like a large motorcycle engine....... wait a minute.. you could be mistaken for an 8 cylinder honda!

flamed 4x4 ,
    I had a bored 283 to 301 in the sixties. It was super quick at the time , 12:60's, C modified production for you old timers. Only problem when bored to to 301 it left your cylinder walls kinda of thin which later cracked. FOUND OUT LATER IT WAS BETTER TO DESTROKE A 327
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

billp - how much did u have to take off to get it to a 301? just wondering.

If I remember, it was .060 to get a 4" bore
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick