Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: gotta a sb 350 for free!!!

Actually its 120 over for the 301. (3.995 bore).

125 over makes it a 302 which is the same bore (4.001) as a stock 327 or 350.

A 283 crank in a 327 block is a 302, but homemade small journal version. All 302 (except ones from 1967) are large journal because the rods are generally stronger.

A 327 crank in a later 283 block (62 and later only) is a homemade 307, same as a regular chevy 307 but with small journal rods. You can tell if your block is post 62 by looking at the bottom area of the cylinder and its dished for clearing the counter weight. earlier blocks are straight across.

If you are serious about your 283 block you can have the block sonic tested for thickess to detect core shift and also fill the water jackets with grout, although that getting pretty hardcore for a street motor.

Catching Second - How did I do???

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    All that interchangible stuff I haven't a clue about unless it's a 383 or a 377. So I give you an "A minus". The minus is result of the lack of kill stories you've been coming up with lately. You're not filling your quota. hahaha
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

I followed a camaro painted up like Dale Jarretts #88 Nascar ride complete with custom UPS GUY" plate but he turned into a sub division before I could get beside that embarrassment to chevies everywhere for the kill.

For those that need it explained, Jarrett drives a Ford, a butt ugly shit brown Ford.

bigjsp - thanks for the info, u know ur stuff, but im just sticking with building a reliable 350 for now. when a get some stable income then ill start experimenting.

thanks
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Originally posted by Catching Second
    All that interchangible stuff I haven't a clue about unless it's a 383 or a 377. So I give you an "A minus". The minus is result of the lack of kill stories you've been coming up with lately. You're not filling your quota. hahaha

We met "Yoda" in the second movie but he never kicked ass until the fifth......my young apprentice.

((Flamed 4x4)) I like the factory fuel injected stuff on the street. Great gas milage and pretty strong performance. If they get past, then I can turn the bottle on. If they still get past that I can always go home and get the street roadster out, if that fails come on over to the track and meet the race roadster.

Something to consider is just building a purpose built saturday night special / drag truck. Your truck is the heaviest of the S-vehicles. If you want to go really fast build an altered or dragster. 500 hp puts you in the 8's in the quarter.

bigjsp - i plan on selling the blazer and getting a cheap s-10 reg cab short box with a blown motor or something, and building the 350 for it. since i don't have a drag strip close to me i think im just gonna build a nice street truck to drive in the summer and drive my dodge shadow in the winter. i don't want it to be too bad of a gas hog because it will be daily driven. a 500hp 8's s-10 would be pretty sweet but i like putting just cruising with my buddies and entering car shows and things like that, plus i don't think i could afford all of the parts that i would have to buy everytime something breaks while racing.

thanks

keep the 4x4 for winter then you won't have to change your blazin low name.

Thats what my 92 4dr 4wd blazer ended up being is my parts runner / winter truck. It easily hauls the family around and its got the Tahao package so it got leather / air Power everything so its not really to bad as a "beater". Stock 4.3 CPI is kinda limited powerwise but everytime I need to push that 4wd button I just smile.:D

Before that I had a 4cyl S10 std cab for parts runner (wimpy but still better than a 2.8 IMO) and an aerostar van ( I know its a POS Ford :nono: but very cheap to run and fix) for the second family vehicle.

They make extended cab fiberglass bodies for the now defunct Prostock truck class (well actually its now just another class in comp eliminator), if you really want to get serious.

ya 4x4 is nice especially 4wL, it makes the 2.8 even seem powerful when it would clib up an incline at idle, but the 4x4 is to slow and really bad on gas, i wanna build the s-10 over the winter and have it at least drivable for the the beginning of summer