Thread: Kill Switch ???

Kill Switch ???

Alright, so when I got the blazer from the dealer, they had lost the clicker thingies for the alarm, but there is a kill switch on it.... and 30 seconds after shutting off the ignition, the alarm sets, and the doors lock.... even if the keys are still in the ignition...... To start the truck, I have to pull the switch, and turn over the truck....

So here is the ???s

1. Is there anyway to disable the kill switch, it is nice, but a hassle when you are in a hurry....

2. Does anyone know how much it would cost to just get the clicker thingies programmed?

3. If I get the clicker thingies programmed, would I have to go to the dealer for that, since it is a factory alarm, or could I go to any alarm shop???

4. Since the horn doesn't go when the alarm is tripped, can they hook that back up?? I have no idea what it sounds like either.

Oh yeah, when someone trips the alarm, the lights just flash, and that is it, no horn, no loud annoying noise, nothing..... they just can't start the truck when they get in since the switch is hidden...

Thanks for the help in advance.......

~Emily~
    I like a guys c0ck like I like my Chevy's, Built Like A Rock.....:boink:

1996 Chevy Blazer
    2001 Chevy Silverado
    2001 GMC Sierra

ok I am not an alram expert but here are some things that I think is going on.

First off to have the "thingies" which I will call remotes from here on out is expensive. Dealer remotes aer generally about 100 to 150 bucks but it never hurts to check it out. SInce it is a factory alram there are not many aftermarket alarm places that will do it but it never hurst to check them out either. Call a local reputable place up and see if they can sell you a remote and program it for you even though it is a factory installed alarm. Here is why- most of the time when you opt for an alarm on a vehicle that does not have one in yet, the dealer contract to whomever they deal with in the area to put in the alarm. They do the same thing with wireless cell phone adapter kits. but the dealer will usually go witha company of a decent nature. So call the dealer and call some alarm shops in your area.

you kill switch has to be comprised of 2 things - one is a normal Bosch relay and the other is the brain of the old alram. The relay is what disables the ignition and teh brain is what is keeping the time on which to activate the kill switch after 30 seconds. But all you brain is doing right now is just keeping a count to 30 before energizing the coil in the relay and setting things in motion. The relay is more than likely the steering column somewhere just spliced in to the ignition harness. You can remove it and then just solder the wires back together on the harness. But you still have to deactivate the brain. What you do is wait for the 30 seconds to lapse and the alarm to set itself then try to start the blazer. it will not start but it will set off the alarm but it is not connected to anything to make noise. But you should hear a soft clicking noise in the blazer. you have to listen reall colsely. This noise is the relay inside of the brain that is making the lights flash. Use this noise to locate the brain. Pull the iwres off of it and now there is no more power going to it. And resolder your ignition wires back together and you have bypassed it all and should be in business

You are in luck only cause I just remembered this cool little program I have on my comp. It gives all wiring information for any vehicle made. And I seen in your profile that you have a 96 blazer so here are the ignition wires that are located right below the steering column and what they do. they should all be together in one long flat harness

Red wire = 12V
    Purple or Yellow = Starter
    Pink - Ignition
    white or Pink W/ white stripe = 2nd ignition

Now if memory serves me right, it is the starter wire that gets cut and the relay is inserted between. SO loact this pack of wires and it is prolly the purple wire that is cut and looks like this black box is connected to it

If anyone else needs any wiring colors or locations - shoot me a message

Have you checked ebay for the little clicky things(remotes) they usually sell for under 10 dollars and can be programmed at any GM dealer.Depending on what they look like I might even have one or two laying around here.let me know exactly what year your truck is and I will see if I have any that work for you.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

Thanks for all the info guys, and my blazer is a 1996..... Sorry about the clicker thingies, the word Remote wasn't comming to mind when I was typing that out.... I am not too sure what I am going to do about it right now... I need the alarm, I have seen far too many people walk up and look in my blazer before.....

we had a guy one time tell me that it was his when I walked up on him playing with the door, and then when I asked if maybe a key would help him get in, he freaked out and took off... so it would be kinda nice to have an alarm....

Thanks again for all the advise and info on wires and all.... I really appreciate it.

~Emily~
    I like a guys c0ck like I like my Chevy's, Built Like A Rock.....:boink:

1996 Chevy Blazer
    2001 Chevy Silverado
    2001 GMC Sierra

Where is the kill switch on Chevy blazer 1996