Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EGR valve?

The first time I took the EGR off I sprayed it vigorously with throttle body cleaner. I took a wire brush around the bigger circle ring. There was minimal buildup on it but it was stuck on there. I cleaned that good. I sprayed inside of the bigger opening a good amount. I played with that smaller hole letting that thing go in and out. There was nothing really preventing it from moving, but i sprayed the throttle body cleaner in there and moved it around.

I just sprayed into where valve attaches to the motor. I couldnt reach to scrape out anything so I just sprayed it.

THe first time i installed the valve with the restrictor on it, I sprayed the throttle body cleaner inside of the "butterfly"(?) That thing where the air intake attaches. I spreayed along there and opened and closed it makign sure it got clean and move freely. It got alot cleaner in there.

That was like 2 weeks ago. That same day I took off the valve and got rid of the restrictor. I used one of the gaskets that I cut up and mangled sligthly. I drove for like 15 min. Came back, replaced it with the original gasket that it had on. I used a wrench and couldnt get it comptlely tight. Drove 200 miles (25 min of it going like 85-90 trying to catch a ferry, which usually would take 45 min)

I got a new gasket, got a swivel and got it completly tight. The SES light didnt come on for the first 2 rides. (like 20-30 min) It came on. Drove for 150 miles.

Today, I detached the negative for 20 min. Again, the SES light didnt turn on for the first ride down the block and many turning off, and turning on my car. Five minutes into the nest ride I did, like 2 hours later, the SES light came on. I'm gonna get it checked out at AutoZone tomorrow.

I'm sure I plug in the wire harness too.

Hmmm... Sounds like a loose piece of carbon came up... run some seafoam through the system, then pull the egr and start the truck for a few minutes and allow it to blow the port out...
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

Where can I find thus so called seafoam. I searched eBay and google and found nothing

NAPA, Advance Autoparts both carry it...

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile

What would you do?

I still have my stock one. It has 80k miles on it. I'm pretty sure it should still work (is there a way to get it checked out) If it's fine I dont know if I should just

a. Put the stock one on and sell the one I just got
    b. Leave it as it is and sell the old one

Thoughts with a. Do EGRs usally die out after time? I could probably maeke at least 60 on the EGR but then I might have to pay 130 again for a new one.

Thoughts about b. The plastic houseing got a little damaged. Probably only get like $20 if that on ebay

Just pull it and clean it with a stiff wire brush, and pick out any heavy carbon deposits in the intake hole...

Originally posted by Blazed
    What would you do?

I still have my stock one. It has 80k miles on it. I'm pretty sure it should still work (is there a way to get it checked out) If it's fine I dont know if I should just

a. Put the stock one on and sell the one I just got
    b. Leave it as it is and sell the old one

Thoughts with a. Do EGRs usally die out after time? I could probably maeke at least 60 on the EGR but then I might have to pay 130 again for a new one.

Thoughts about b. The plastic houseing got a little damaged. Probably only get like $20 if that on ebay

God this brings back bad memories.... I had a 95 Jimmy on that this happened to like every 3-4 months.... Finally, I got p!ssed and traded it in on my 2000 Blazer...

The day I came home with the Blazer, their was a xcard in my mailbox from GM, that there was a recall on 94-98 Blazers for the EGR valve and something else that was causing the issue we all had....
    2000 S-10 Blaza, Wit sum Ghosty Flames sittin on sum Dubbs

Bump...

Is there a way to tell if my old EGR valve is still good so I can sell it.

Do I want to risk having my truck running shitty again switching back to my old EGR. Wonder how long it would last then I'd have to spend another $130 when I can probably get like $80 for this

Ok 97 4.3s-10 it seems to me that you have a bad cpi unit..its proablyleaking gas into the intake ....thats why your smelling that unburnt gas...and when this happens the car tends to idle ruff 95cpi's tend to have this problem around the 100kmiles