Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need info on V8 swap

ONCE BAGGED 4X4 MEMBER Trigga187's Avatar

need info on V8 swap

My friend is selling me a 350 V8...it's in good condition and he wants $500...is that a good deal? Also, if I do get it, what will I have to get to change it...right now I have a 2.8 V6 in my Blazer 4x4....will I have any problems since its gonna be dropped 6 inches up front? How much will it cost to do everything?
    Good Bye Blazer

The ONE and The ONLY BlazinBlue's Avatar
    well, how old is the engine, and what mods are done to it?

Well you have a 2.8, so you got 50% good news, And 50% bad. the bad is you will have to get a new tranny for it, even if it's a 700-R4(Which it should be) b/c the the block bolt pattern to the bell housing is completly different than a sb. The good news is don't scrap you mounts b/c the brackets for the swap bolt to the engine and the Stock 2.8 mounts. which will save you time but not as much money if you could keep the same tranny.

For being dropped i don't think you will have a teribble problem, but I'm not 100% sure on that. but on a 4x4 drop or no drop you will have to get a special okl pan that one you might get off a camaro.
    Tulsa Chaper VP - Vertically Challenged
    :smoker: - 1989 S10 Blazer 2dr - 1995 F/S 4x4 -:smoker:

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

friend givgin v8

yo if your not goin to get that v8 for 500 $ ill take it up front but if your having it gook luck bro.... OB

Talking oh yea trigga

also mail me on how its goin b/c i have a 2.8l im my blazer as well and i wanted to put a 350 in there... fill me in would ya bro... thanx a lot....................OB mail mer at
    obirishman@yahoo.com

nah I'm not gonna do the V8 swap anymore....I'm just gonna swap it with a 4.3, and about the 350 unfortunantly it isn't on sale anymore unless you want the whole van with the engine.
    Good Bye Blazer

swapping a 4.3 fuel injected is probably going to cost more than a 350 carb swap.

I am not sure whats up with the new 4.3 motors, It might be the same with the old ones, but the stock air filters just plain eat crap. My dad has a 98 blazer with a 4.3 in it. It used to be sluggish as hell and I thought it was a hunk of crap. And my brother got him a K&N filter for christmas or something. I love that thing. Damn thing tops out at 96 haha.

Really the 4.3 is still a badass motor. It is the 350 with 2 less pistons. Same bore and stroke isn't it? Yeah it is damn close. .7125(liter's per cylinder) the 350 and like .7166(liters per cylinder) for the 4.3. The pistons are actually a little bit bigger in the 4.3 if I am correct.

Do they make a carburated 4.3???
    Hold my hammer while I nail your girlfriend

yeah thats what I wanna know? are there carb 4.3's? well which engine are you saying is crap? the new 4.3's or the ones in like 90 - 93 or something like that? Well can I put a 4.3 from an 87 Caprice?
    Good Bye Blazer

None of the 4.3's are crap that I know of they run damned strong for a v6.

My dads truck was sluggish before he got his k&n i just think they had a gay airbox or something

so do you think I can swap in a 4.3 from an 87 Caprice?
    Good Bye Blazer

yeah i havent a clue.

Edelbrock makes a manifold for 4.3 AND 2.8 V6 motors. I think they have both 2 barrel and 4 barrel intakes incase your interested. BUT.. I don't know if they will fit the Vortec heads if there any diferent on the newer 4.3s. As for the 87 caprice 4.3, I would think if it's a rear wheel drive car, Which it should be, It should be the same motor. I don't see a greedy motor company spending the money on production of two different blocks during the same year.

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

do you have an idea on how much I should pay for a 4.3? Also where can I find one? At a junkyard?
    Good Bye Blazer

a used runnig 4.3 w/ Tranny w/ wiring harness & comp. outa 99-01 S10 or Blazer was around $1650 American money. and it was pulled. I thought about it but it was gunna be i don't know, about $700 bucks cheeper to do the V8. but that was my fisrt offer on it, i bet if I looked around alil' more I could find one cheeper.

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

what about the price on an older 4.3 like from an 87-93 model?
    Good Bye Blazer

well, if you get anything that old it will need to be rebuilt. and Rebuilding a 4.3, like I and others have said, will cost ALOT MORE. but if thats what you want to do, more power to you.

I myself wouldn't pay more than $175 for a COMPLETE 4.3V6. And all that I would use from that engine is the block, crank, oil pan, and heads (MAYBE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD). Every thing eles I would scrap and replace. and for the Block and heads they would DEFINATLY make there way to the machine shop for boring, freeze plugs, and valve jobs. And if you get a tranny from a car that old also it should make its way to the Tranny shop.

I would do these things b/c if I'm gunna do all the work to put a new engine in my car, i would want it 100% redone, and done right. That is what i'm doing with my 350 going into my blazer.

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11