Thread: gas tank woes !!!!!

elite car audio member

Exclamation gas tank woes !!!!!

today i has attempted to take off my gas tank. what a pain in the balls that is i worked for 4.5 hrs on the damn thing and all i got occomplished was loosening three of the four strap bolts the one on the drivers side front is impossible to get off and i have my blazer lowered in the rear so its damn near impossible to get the hoses disconected but i was wondering if any one has any tips to help me get the tank down and pump out my pump has shit the bed and i am in the procces of replacing it or just burning the truck up its so frusterating. i was thinkin of puttin a higher output pump back in any thoughts or suggestions?? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :nono: :gunfire: :evilmad: :evilfu:
    how low can u go ?

The ONE and The ONLY BlazinBlue's Avatar
    Oh man, I know what you mean. That what I had to do about 2 months befor my engine took the big shit.

Well on lowering it I had a cender block holding up one side and the jack on the other. The side with the jack is the one I worked on taking the bolts out. Its really hard to explan how that worked. But after you get it undone the drivers side will stay up b/c on the feul filler hose. Let the pass. side drop and then undo all the hoses and also cut the wires and mark them, put a piece of tape on one and cut through the tape so there is tape on both ends so you know which go with which when you put it back on. Also I would advise disconecting the battery:D then after you lossen the clamp on the filler hose it will be a bitch to wiggle it lose. take you time,,, Well... most likly you will no mater what. Then all you have to do now that you got the tank droped and away from the car, take the cap off witch holds the pump and replace it. after that do what I just told you again but in reverse.

Also, as for the pump size. When you get it out it will be sumwhat of a small ass pump. BUT DON'T BE FOOLED. If you engine is fuel injected or has a throttle body that is a HIGH output pump as it is 14 PSI. a carburated v8 is usually about 7-9 psi, so a stock replacement is fine.
    Tulsa Chaper VP - Vertically Challenged
    :smoker: - 1989 S10 Blazer 2dr - 1995 F/S 4x4 -:smoker:

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

elite car audio member
    thank you blazin blue i apprieciate the tips i have got the tank down and pump out now my only other concern is should i replace the sending unit or do stick with the old one and hope for the best hope it lasts i really dont want to drop the tank again when the sending unit up and poops the bed. what do u think or any one else who wants to respond to this ..:bigthumb:
    how low can u go ?

Hating the stupid
    yes I recommend you replace the sending you unit, if you have the extra cash. You don't want to have to do it later, and you don't want junk from the old gas tank in the new one really, or atleast replace the filter.
    2000 Camaro SS - M6 - Leather - Custom Exhaust |2000 Camaro SS - M6 - Leather - Custom Exhaust |
    2003 | S10 ZR2 - M5 |
    1994 S10 Blazer - DEAD - Auto - 1994 |S10 Blazer - DEAD - Auto - |

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer

but 94's are really a bastard year.

The ONE and The ONLY BlazinBlue's Avatar
    Well your just replacing the Pump right? when you get the stock replacement it should already come with a new filter. I didn't change my sending unit in mine, i think the wireing will mess up befor the sending unit would. But it your call. I'll be removing my tank again sum time this summer again when I put my phat notch in the back and install my rear bags. First I got to get it running again.
    Tulsa Chaper VP - Vertically Challenged
    :smoker: - 1989 S10 Blazer 2dr - 1995 F/S 4x4 -:smoker:

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

elite car audio member
    thanks guys for the help just finished the gas tank all of it and when i tried to start it it did just the same thing that it did before i replaced the fuel pump. it just cranks over and over like its not getting any gas i am not sure now what to look at or where to start even so i am admitting defeat and calling it a day if anyone has any ideas what-so-ever please let me know the motor just turns over doesnt even cough it just like when it first broke down. i pulled into a restraunt and when to get some cheesburgers and when i came back out ot my truck bang dead just turned over so i dont know whats wrong now
    how low can u go ?