Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: royal purple?

Question royal purple?

can i use royal purple trans fluid in my 88 blazer? the engine is a 2.8 and the trans is a 5 speed and also 4x4 if that helps, and could i use it in my dads toyota carola its a 5 speed also

thanks
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI

Yeah, I belive they have like regular 10W30 in Royal Purple. I don't think its worth in on either of those motors though. Its very expensive.

A good synthtic oil will do you if your looking for a better oil. I recommend Mobil 1.

Word of wisdom, don't add synthtic to a higher milage motor. I don't remember the techincal terms or reasons why. But, it can cause the seals to leak.

I've notice this since I switched to Mobil 1 with my V8, and its around 4 years old. Not leaking yet, but getting some seepage.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

the motor is brand new, all rebuilt whith edelbrock cam and headers but i was wondering about the transmission i need to change it and was thinking about using royal purple
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI

ya u can use royal purple trans fluid.
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

ZZ4: I've been using Quaker State High Horsepower Synthetic in the Camaro for a little while now (just over 3000miles) and I havn't noticed anything wrong. The seals are leaking less (gauging by the amount of smoke at startup), and the engine runs smoother, noticably more at higher RPM (4k+).

The engine's a 305c.i., with 275,000miles on it, never been rebuilt, and never used anything but traditional oil since the day it was built.
    DD - 2002 GMC Sierra ECLB 5.3l 2wd *330hp, 350ftlbs at the wheels*
    Toy - 2004 Pontiac GTO 1 of 323 *too much power for a purple car*
    Project(s) - Something with two wheels.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Synthetic oil is the same as regular oil but with a detergent additive. So it cleans the internals as it lubricates. If you add a synthetic oil to a high mileage engine it does what it's suposed to do and cleans all of the crud out of it. The same crud that could be clogging a potential oil leak. It can also remove the carbon build-up around a piston causing loss of compression and oil loss because the carbon was acting as a seal around the piston.

I hope this makes sense.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Yea, that made sense. But still hasn't happened to me :bigthumb:
    DD - 2002 GMC Sierra ECLB 5.3l 2wd *330hp, 350ftlbs at the wheels*
    Toy - 2004 Pontiac GTO 1 of 323 *too much power for a purple car*
    Project(s) - Something with two wheels.

Originally posted by Catching Second
    Synthetic oil is the same as regular oil but with a detergent additive. So it cleans the internals as it lubricates. If you add a synthetic oil to a high mileage engine it does what it's suposed to do and cleans all of the crud out of it.
    Good suggestion but your WRONG. By the way...GM puts Modil 1 synthetic in all the Vette's. Explain that if you can.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

where is the fill plug on the trany? how do i know when its filled

and which fluid should i get
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI

Yenko - Could you go into detail about how wrong I am?
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

I'm not Yenko but I'll chip in.

Synthetic oil is made up of shorter hydrocarbon chains with less parrafin (basically wax like impurites) than petroleum based oils.

by having shorter hydrocarbon chains to begin with there is less opportunity to break down. Syntheic oils viscosity also changes less with temperature and because there is typically less friction there is less temperature change. Also the break down temperture of convential petroleum oil is 240 F versus 290 for synthetic so synthetic can take some abuse.

But CATCHING SECOND is correct in that synthetic oils have the latest and great kickass additives and there are some speciality high mileage blends that I haven't really researched to see what the difference is or if its just marketing

I run the Castrol Syntec 5W50 in the three vehicles in my avatar.
    everything else gets the cheap shit

Thanks for informing us BIG DADDY JSP. :)

I didn't know about the different hydracarbon chains.

I know in new Harley Davidsons they say to run the bike for more than 6,000 miles BEFORE you start using synthetics.

Originally posted by boominrick
    where is the fill plug on the trany? how do i know when its filled

and which fluid should i get
    You add tranny fluid to your tranny by pouring it down the tranny dipstick tube.To check if it is full you have to have the truck running and check to see what the level is on the dipstick.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

i have a 5 speed transmission their is no dip stick. i had my frend order royal purple trans fluid is their a differnce between auto fluid and standard trans fluid?
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    UHH your not suppose to run synth in any engine before it is broken in.......i believe it is around 1000 miles on a v8 or thats what they suggest....or it might be 500....shit its one of the two