Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: S/T Lover's V8 Swap Party! IMPORTANT, READ!

One guy from Missouri is enough, we don't need anymore.. J/K Chris, lol ;)
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

what are the details of the swap?
    motor carburated or injected, fuel pump, tranny type, shifter and exhaust or headers are you using?

sorry not trying to bust your balls but just thinking out loud.....
    you got a welder and some assorted steel?
    Air Compressor?
    misc. bolt nuts washers ?
    hose clamps etc ?
    exhaust parts hangers clamps gaskets etc. ?
    wire & connectors ?
    silicone sealant, fluids?
    wd40, grease?
    drill w/ assorted bits--- taps?
    grinder and disks

Knob Noster Occupation: Pimping you out. Photoshop Diety.
    Originally posted by (mind)KiLLeR
    Otter, you bastard. If you're going, you can trailer me and the 'mero up there :bigthumb:

:nono: I ain't trailering shit.... :nono:

But you can ride shotgun if you make with the roadhead.

:bigthumb:

Originally posted by bigjsp
    what are the details of the swap?
    motor carburated or injected, fuel pump, tranny type, shifter and exhaust or headers are you using?

sorry not trying to bust your balls but just thinking out loud.....
    you got a welder and some assorted steel?
    Air Compressor?
    misc. bolt nuts washers ?
    hose clamps etc ?
    exhaust parts hangers clamps gaskets etc. ?
    wire & connectors ?
    silicone sealant, fluids?
    wd40, grease?
    drill w/ assorted bits--- taps?
    grinder and disks
    I know your not busting my balls, its all good, lol.. The motor I'll be swaping in is from a 1982 fullsize truck, carbed, along with a holley blue mechanical fuel pump. I bought a rebuilt 700r4 from a 92 blazer, along with a B&M megashifter and the hedman conversion headers... Exhaust I'm planning on True Dual Flowmaster 40's turned down before the axle (done at the shop about 10 minutes from my house, hopefully)

As for the tools that I have at my house, I do have assorted sheet metal available, but no high grade steel.. I don't have a welder, but was planning on asking John (s10blazed) if he could bring his Mig down in case we needed it. I have a 25 gallon air compressor with a decent motor on it (dont know the exact specs), and I also have an angle grinder, air cut off tool, 450ft/lb Air Impact Wrench, and an Air Chisel.I have no exhaust parts, hangers, or anything like that.I have wire connectors, silicone sealent, WD40, Pb Blaster, 2 different drills with plenty of drill bits and taps, and as mentioned above, an angle grinder with cut off and grinding discs.. Any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks guys :bigthumb:

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

Hose clamps. Seems like I never had enough hose clamps when Im putting something together.

EDIT:
    Sean, do you know how your doing the fuel lines? What about radiator hoses, tranny cooler lines, convertor lock up, etc
    Last edited by ZZ4Blazer; 10-31-2003 at 11:03 PM.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    Hose clamps. Seems like I never had enough hose clamps when Im putting something together.
    I've got a drawer dedicated to hose clamps and am constantly taking them off things that are junked at work, along with the brass pipe fittings.

Hose clamps are poor mans welding clamps and you can make great functional "variable length" rods to get something just right and then weld it or make one exactly to length.

Hose clamps are an essential part of any well prepared emergency repair stash along with wire ties and duct tape but stronger. Great emergency exhaust hangers, good for tieing brake lines to the rear end housing.

God, what would I do without you guys and your knowledge? To answer your questions

Jim - Fuel lines, I don't know how I'm going it.. I bought a steel braided fuel line kit from edelbrock, figuring I could use it.. As for the rest of the fuel line, I hadn't really thought about it.. As for the tranny cooler and rad hoses, I don't know yet, maybe I could get some instruction for you guys? As for converter lockup, I'm going to buy the one from 700r4.com and put it in the tranny.. Supernova told me about it, and it sounds like a hell of a deal and plenty easy to do.

BigJSP - I will make sure that I get as many hose clamps together as possible.. I have a hell of a lot of bass pipe fittings already though (its great working for an HVAC company :D) Anything else you guys can think of?

whose mounts?

Are we keeping the A/C if any?

which fans? or an engine driven?

How much set back? I am assuming minimal set back to use the stock driveshaft We can make a custom set of lowering blocks with a 1/2" offset built in or did you get the axle set back plates to center up the wheel.

Are pinion / rear end shims available locally?

we can bend up tranny lines, piece of cake
    Last edited by bigjsp; 11-01-2003 at 12:21 AM.

dam there is alot of shit to do for this. i really want to see this done then. i was told be people that it was as easy as buying the kit and the motor/trans and just bolting it all in.

BigJSP - JTR Motor mounts for maximum flexibility in mounting the engine. There is A/C, but I'm not keeping it. the fan I'm using is a flex-a-lite 1318 engine driven flex fan, shouldnt be a problem since I'll be running the vette rad. I'm not real sure on the amount that it will be set back right now, dependent on how much we'll need for the engine driven flex fan. Shims should be available locally, there are a couple of speed shops within a relatively short distance, as well as pep boys, autozone, and advance auto within a 5 mile radius... If I have a serious problem with the fan not workin, I'll go to the hayden electrics from pep boys, not a problem...

Im driving right past Summit on my way there, incase you need me to pick up anything. :bigthumb:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

If you got the combination factory Kickdown cable and throttle cable bracket from a vehicle that had a 4 barrel V8 and a 700R4 AND the 700r4 kickdown cable...... we'd be grinnning.
    The carb has to have the throttle connection at the top and kickdown connection point on the bottom. I "think" the kickdown travel required is an 1 1/8".

I drive by Jegs, if you need anything

A/C is nice, might want to reconsider if you have the compressor mounts for the donor motor
    Last edited by bigjsp; 11-01-2003 at 12:45 AM.

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    I''ll be there. Hopefully the man leaves my truck alone enough that I can cruise it for a weekend. If not you'll get to see my French rice burner. Or the Blazer if its back on the road by then. Plenty of sparks will fly :D

Originally posted by otter

:nono: I ain't trailering shit.... :nono:

But you can ride shotgun if you make with the roadhead.

:bigthumb:
    I'm not hip to your "Myk Only" slang...wtf..roadhead?

hahhaa

email me or get me on msn
    DD - 2002 GMC Sierra ECLB 5.3l 2wd *330hp, 350ftlbs at the wheels*
    Toy - 2004 Pontiac GTO 1 of 323 *too much power for a purple car*
    Project(s) - Something with two wheels.

That would entail you being Otter bitch on the way up there.

Looks a little something like this. :head:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear