Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottom end mods while shes out

if all the sensors are the same I wouldn't see a problem

No.. they aren;t even similar man. grr nothing from your tpi will bolt on. its acompletely different fuel injection system. u said it has heads? do u mean headers? cause im not evne sure if ther are aftermarket heads for the lt1. lt1 has teh distributor mounted at teh crank.. it has no coolant flowing through the intake. i mena u MIGHT be able, with heavy modification, to adapt ur TPI harness to teh lt1, but it would not be worth it casue TPI injection sucks. and ud efinetely can't put ur TPI intake onteh lt1, cause it has the distributor hole, it has coolant holes and a different botl pattern on teh ehads or something.. heres an articel about swapping an LT1 intake onto a tpi motor.. but it has some good info http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0803phr_beast/
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

'Fraid I just Dont Member Shrugger's Avatar
    I havnt checked the price but www.leeshightechtrucks.com sells a harness for the LT1 conversion
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    "an unused weapon is a useless weapon"
    ALL infidels shall be shrugged!
    :eek: <--- 'O' face

i dont plan on putting my TPI intake on the LT1, JUST THE HOLLEY COMMANDER 950 MPI ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. which is only a computer, it connects to water temp sensor/ MAF sensor(can run as a speed density system i think) injectors, exhaust sensors etc etc etc....
    i'll find out exactly what the motor comes with, it comes with the tranny, but if it doesnt come with a harness i may as well keep my tranny in there becuase i know mine is decent, i wish i had a place to keep my tpi 5.7 and tranny, just in case i need it, both of them are up for sale right now by the way.
    MY BLAZER IS FOR SALE - CHECK THE CLASSIFIEDS

$3000 O.B.O

Well i was supposed to get the motor today but the guy was in court and couldnt bring it down to the shop. so tomorrow he'll bring it down. im gonna keep my existing transmission in there. just basically switch motors and wire up my computer system, and change the oil and new plugs etc.., can i keep my existing MSD 8.5's from my tpi 5.7 ? i dont see why not? then we're just gonna throw her up on the dyno and tune her...and see what she'll do on the dyno. what other small things should i take care of now?

$3000 O.B.O

Plans changed yet again.

i went to look at the LT1 and it wasnt an LT1...it was from some early 80's corvette, he claimed it was an lt1, so i just told him i didnt want to buy it.

i talked to the mechanic today and hes nuts..he wants to raise the compression to 11:1, bore it .30 over and shit like that..
    he asked me how much power i want to put out, he suggested 300HP..since i have 225 i figured just 250 to the wheels would be fine. he suggested forged pistons and i agree'd, i suggested a forged crank but he said it would cost more.

im going to the shop 2morow to finalize somthing with him..

should i just tell him to do as much as possible for the price.

Dont forget this truck is a daily driver but i would like some more power than stock, and i want it to be able to handle a 150 shot in the future.

what is 11:1 gonna do for my truck?

what specific parts should i ask for and to what specifications?

$3000 O.B.O

your probaly going to have to put some octane boster in every time you fill up!
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI

11:1 will do nothing but make u run 94 all the time. guy sounds like a moron honestly.. id suggest going somewehre else
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

actualyl wait.. if thast with the 4.3 then u may need to go with super high compression to make power.. iw as thinking with a v8 thats stupid for 300hp
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

it is a V8.
    so what should i tell him to do? for some more power when my motor goes for the rebuild.

$3000 O.B.O

what are the specs on the motor right now?
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

its a bone stock 350 block. exhaust and intake and a stand alone system.

i need to maintain decent gas mileage and driveability.

$3000 O.B.O

what kind of factory heads?

its only 15 HP per point of compression so stay at or below 10.25 IMO.

I really liked my 350 w/ 268H magnum Comp cam in my 73 NOVA. It had 1.94 intakes 1.6 exhaust slightly modified factory heads from a 69 chevelle. Just enough idle to let people know you're there, 20 MPG In the 1/4 I gotlow 13's / high 12's and a little plate nitrous kit for Saturday night. Exhaust was simple 1 5/8 headers and turbo mufflers.

I tried the 280H but it didn't really give that much more power considering the drop in gas milage.

i dont really wanna change my cam for that reason alone, gas mileage.

forged pistons and rods at least. will changing compression change my gas mileage?

$3000 O.B.O

268h cam will make more power and get better milage than you r factroy cam. gives it a nice lopy idle too, yet all the vacuum stuff will be fine.

I haven't heard enough performance mods yet to worry about upgrading rod and pistons let alone splayed main caps and a steel crank.

Actually sounds like you've got a core for tradein on a crate motor