Thread: shaving stuff

The ONE and The ONLY BlazinBlue's Avatar

Question shaving stuff

okay, I have a first generation blazer, and I want to get rid of that bothersome lock on the tailgate.
    I will get the electric release for the back window but how do you put a handel on the inside to let down your tailgate? can you do it like when you shave your door handels and open it from remote? How hard is it to convert? and how long will the job take? PLease HELP.
    Last edited by BlazinBlue; 10-11-2001 at 05:18 PM.

Blazinlow Member
    I'm also would like to do the same thing since I'm about to do my body work.

i paid to get mine done, but I know that the dude used the door handle and linkage from a 56 CHEVY, yup, 45 year old shit!! lol...but it works, i know he welded a nut on the factory latch, then welded the linkage to that, kinda like an extention....

just for the note...i have a different back piece that ive been too lazy to put on...
    this is a test of the sig

Question

Thanx!!! I guess I'll look around and try to find some shop in town that can help me. yah I just really like the looks of a smoothed skin on the tailgates.

As another question...

What is the proper way of smoothing the tailgate shut. I heard of just Bondo ( witch dose not sound right ) and welding it shut... What is the GOOD way of doing this?
    Tulsa Chaper VP - Vertically Challenged
    :smoker: - 1989 S10 Blazer 2dr - 1995 F/S 4x4 -:smoker:

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

i want to do that myself but i know absolutly shit about welding the latches and i dont think anyone around here does eith. ill have to look into that.

btw blazin low: looks good
    :D

The PROPER way to shaving the tailgate shut is actually to take off the tailgate and throw it away. Then using steel 1 inch square tubing, weld a framing where the tailgate was, with a top bar, a bottom bar, and two that cross (corner to corner). Then you need to buy a tail gate skin, make sure you get a FULL skin. And eld that to the framing, bodywork it in and, prime, etc.. But we have blazers, that have to have a glass latch. I would suggest keeping the tailgate and weld it shut by cutting two 1/2" strips of steel as long as the tailgate is tall. Then close your gate for the last time. Slip the metal in the side gaps and using a couple of stong magnets to hold them flat in place then weld away. The rest is bodywork. As for the inside, I guess some tweed magic?
    I like my trucks like I like my women; WHITE & SHAVED!

thanx for the info

hey Slim, you seem to know alot about body work so maybe you can answer my first question so I can weigh my options. Do you know how to rig up a tailgate to open up from the inside... like if i wanted to open it up but have that smoothed effect, I'm doing the body lines and hopfully the doorhandles, I just think that work would look kinda... Its like driving a car with a custom paintjob but you left the rest stock. if you can help I would like it.

by they way witch do you like better...

Tailgate or no tailgate?
    Tulsa Chaper VP - Vertically Challenged
    :smoker: - 1989 S10 Blazer 2dr - 1995 F/S 4x4 -:smoker:

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

Blue,
    There are two ways to open the gate like that. If you have the stock auto rear window popper, you can do it like BlazinLow's. I would install a handle right behind where the original lock, using the same linkage, just from the back. But the all smooth way is to buy a solenoid kit that pulls the latches like for the doors. When you buy a remote door shave kit, the remotes have 3 buttons. Then all you have to get is the third solenoid (& relay). Get a 35lb pull solenoid for the gate.
    I think on a blaze, definately talegate. On a pick up, no tailgate.
    I like my trucks like I like my women; WHITE & SHAVED!