Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2x3 box tubeing

2x3 box tubeing

I dont exactally know the specs for the certifacion but for a car to go over 150 mph down a quarter mile on 2x3 box tubeing is good enough for me to make a frame out of it

Also thats just a normal guy who made that chart (correct?) so what the differece if i made a chart saying you could but 9000 tons on it and it wouldnt bend?

Basically what im saying if it a 3000lb car is on box tubeing going over 150 mph i think it will be ok for a sfbd

i was wondering what the smallest tubing you could safley run would be

lays frame on 22's neverfinished94's Avatar
    2x3 1/4" thick should be fine

Also thats just a normal guy who made that chart (correct?)
    Actually hes a mechanical engineer...And you cant just make up a chart that says whatever u want it to say...theres equations to come up with those numbers

Originally posted by Squeak
    i was wondering what the smallest tubing you could safley run would be
    3x3x.25" This chart proves it....

Chart was made by my boy JD aka "Wishbone" whos a mechanical engineer

That guy's way more than the average Joe Blow.

And that guy thats using 2x3x1/8" wall...... no comment.
    03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

I dunno im just gonna leave it alone after i say this........ if a 3000lb car is running down the track at over 150 mph with a 2x3 tubeing frame i think a chassis for a stock floor body dropped blazer will be perfectly fine............TAKE IT HOW YOU WANT IT

Originally posted by BLAZIN90
    That guy's way more than the average Joe Blow.

And that guy thats using 2x3x1/8" wall...... no comment.
    that guy is me. ^ i proved alot of people wrong already .......whats one more

Originally posted by Workin_on_it
    I dunno im just gonna leave it alone after i say this........ if a 3000lb car is running down the track at over 150 mph with a 2x3 tubeing frame i think a chassis for a stock floor body dropped blazer will be perfectly fine............TAKE IT HOW YOU WANT IT

BUT.. you also have to remember something.. a car that is going over 150 in the 1/4 has a hell of a lot more supporting it besides the 2x3.. it also has a 12 point roll cage made of either 1 5/8 mild steel or 1 3/4 chromoly tubing.. X bars in the doors.. dash bars under the dash.. thers a LOT more to an sub 9 second race car to be comparing it to stock floor body drop
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Originally posted by slow 89
    BUT.. you also have to remember something.. a car that is going over 150 in the 1/4 has a hell of a lot more supporting it besides the 2x3.. it also has a 12 point roll cage made of either 1 5/8 mild steel or 1 3/4 chromoly tubing.. X bars in the doors.. dash bars under the dash.. thers a LOT more to an sub 9 second race car to be comparing it to stock floor body drop
    Correct, the rollcage is far more important than size of the main rails in a drag car, the next step up the bottom rails are usually 1 5/8" and an all tube frame car.

blazed out 91, are you plannin on reinforcing your frame with crossmembers and supports like slow 89 is talking about? I dont know a lot, but what I do know is that chart is cold hard evidence.

I'm not attacking you, dont get me wrong. Your blazer is nice... but going by everyone I've talked to, 2x3x1/8" is just too small.
    03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

draggin rocker member clean n low 84's Avatar
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    Correct, the rollcage is far more important than size of the main rails in a drag car, the next step up the bottom rails are usually 1 5/8" and an all tube frame car.
    exactly!

we are not talking about drag cars here boys, there will not be anywhere near that kind of reinforcement cause there will not be any near as many cross members and such that is invovled in a full NHRA certified rollcage.

Originally posted by neverfinished94
    2x3 1/4" thick should be fine
    2x3 1/4" is one thing but 2x3 1/8" is just asking for problems.

3x3xwhatever will not work on a 83-94 2 door s-blazer if you plan on having a "stock floor". Thinking your gonna be smart & run a smaller frame and you will have serious issues with underbody clearance and possibly a tweaked frame. Stock floors are the TRENDY thing now and just because some guy with a fullsize did it dosen't mean you can or should try the same thing. S-Blazers are not like regular pickups and there is no easy way to do a stockfloor the RIGHT way on one.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Originally posted by Dragginblazer
    Stock floors are the TRENDY thing now and just because some guy with a fullsize did it dosen't mean you can or should try the same thing.
    I couldn't agree more...

There isn't much room under a Minitruck to do a stock floor body drop...The frames are shorter, and there just isn't much room under the body...I'm all for properly done Stock Floor Body Drops on Full Size trucks, but they really aren't the ideal solution for Minitrucks...

But it LOOKS easier than a traditional body drop, so of course everyone is going to want to try it...:nono:

yes it will be reinforced. braces everything and anything you can think of.......we know wut were doing here