Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2x3 box tubeing

Do people yell at you alot? Ok lets see if you get it this time. Just because you read a chart that really none of us know is correct or not. You cannot assume someone selecting a weaker size tube will end up with a completed weak frame. What does a single 5 foot section of tube have to do with a fully reinforced completed frame?

Why don't you just wait and see what it looks like when the frame is finished and then flap your mouth.

Sammy chose that size of tube over a year ago. WAAAY before this silly chart was around. He chose it for a few reasons. Inside the stock frame it is the same width as the original rails. It makes sence to have it 3" high because it's 3" wide right? My truck will be driven when it is finished and because of the V8 it will have dual exhaust pipes feeding into dual mufflers...hence the 3" tall frame for clearance. 1/4" wall for strength even though it is welded inside the stock frame. It is not just straight rail either it follows the factory bends. The bending also does wonders for strength.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

AFAIK, that chart was created with laws, formulas, and rules. Other people checked and verified it and they found it to be correct as well. The formulas were found in a metalworking handbook I think.

draggin, just curious, why do you keep trying to flame these guys about 3x3 tubing? Slammy is one of the guys that says nothing less as well, and he's the one doing your truck. It seems like you'd be all for whatever he says.... I would, heh. I dont see why you're trying to prove a chart wrong that was created on formulas that have been around a long time....
    03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

Take the 3000 lb weight divide it in half 1500' lbs now you also have the cab of the truck bolted to the frame in many spots acting as a structural support also. In my opinion it would be ok.
    yes, 3000lb / 2 you have that right...but that is just sitting there...I could make a frame of 1x1x1/4 that would support the weight of the truck...but try to drive it anywhere...wind, bumps, turning, ect all put huge forces on the truck..that is what you design a frame for, not just to be able to support its own wieght...
    Take a look around next time you go out driving bro and look at the steel stop light poles. When a gust of wind blows they flex and sway all over the place and I don't see them falling down.
    Yea, because they are designed with the correct size material...I dont see light poles made of 2x3x1/8...not to mention a little thing called Factor of Saftey....things like light poles are over designed to ensure that they will not fatigue under the circumstances they will function in...
    That chart is helpful if you want to know which size tube will be stronger and THATS ALL.
    Thats not completly true...the chart allows you to look at a stock size frame rail and compare how that acts under a load to how other sizes will react under the same load...
    Crossmembers and bracing play a huge role.
    Yea, in horizontal bending...they mean almost nothing in vertical bending....If you want to help with vertical bending you need to reinforce along the frame not across it..
    ok so pretty much this chart says if you dont use 3x3x1/4 your fucked, it will bend.
    It will bend more, yes. but that dosent meant that it will bend permanantly, right away...there are two types of deformation...elastic and plastic...elastic is when you bend somthing and it goes back to its origanal shape...plastic is when you bend somthing and it stays that way...the catch is that the more elastic deformation a beam undergoes, the closer it is to deforming permanantly, or plasticly...
    Just because you read a chart that really none of us know is correct or not.
    Comments like this piss me off...Here I am posting information and then thouroughly backing it up...then you have the balls to continualy say the info is wrong, without any facts to defend it...If you wanna keep questioning it, pick up a friggin book and prove me wrong...

hope this answered some q's...later, Jon
    Last edited by ConnecticutX; 12-07-2003 at 02:23 PM.
    Exceeding Limits CT prez.

hahahahahahahaha. And yes bracing can help with vertical strength.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

hahahahahahahaha.
    thats what I thought...
    And yes bracing can help with vertical strength.
    Bracing along the frame rails, Definatly...Horizontal bracing, it can, but not much...then agian, its hard to make beefy x members on 2x3x1/8...

just build what you want, thats the whole point of minitruckin...If you dont wanna listen to any of the stuff I have to say its no big deal...I will still sleep tonight...later, Jon
    Exceeding Limits CT prez.

Originally posted by ConnecticutX
    Bracing along the frame rails, Definatly
    Thats what I knew...

:p:
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

2x3x1/8th will hold up if you do it right but its way more work than it would take for 3x3x1/4" to make a strong frame. might as well make it all out of round tubing

just build what you want, thats the whole point of minitruckin...
    I couldnt agree more..