Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2x3 box tubeing

:D I have to admit...Pretty funny...even though it is kinda sad that you took the time to look up my age...And how does age have anything to do with being smart about trucks? I know 40 year olds that dont know how to change their oil...

draggin rocker member clean n low 84's Avatar
    They are arqueing with him because they dont want to admit they are wrong. 2x3 1/8" is not what you should use for a stock floor body drop, nothing less then 3x3 1/4" Period. I've showen you the hard facts in that chart. slammy and others have told you also.

do some research talking to some professionals like slammy or larry from innovative or who ever that is a repuable name in the industry [sp] and they will tell you 3x3 1/4" If you guys want to be ignorate go a head dont say we didn't tell you so. I dont care what your brother or fathers say or how good of welders they are, 3x3 1/4" is what SHOULD be used and I know most ppl try to take shortcuts sometimes they with stand the testing of time but most of the time they dont.
    DRAG THAT SHIT!!!

My SSM profile, drop a tag!

Ok im gonna say this, i dont give a rats ass about the chart
    Just when you thought i faded away, I came back harder then ever...

How can you not give a rats ass about a chart made by a guy who knows what hes doing and that gives cold hard evidence that 2x3x1/8" aint gonna cut it? Thats like sayin "I dont give a rats ass about what my tires say the max psi is" or "I dont give a rats ass how much oil im supposed to put in my truck" or Ignorin the pump at the gas station when it clicks off and keep fillin...I can go on but I think you get the point

Pretty much what im sayin is, im not gonna win argueing aganst you... no one is And i dont care wtf that guy is or what degree he has
    Just when you thought i faded away, I came back harder then ever...

how about as soon as the blazer gets done i prove to you this guys isnt as smart as you all think he is......

just because you get it done doesnt mean it's the "right way".. heh

to me, it doesnt matter. its your truck. good luck on the project tho. any new pics of it?
    03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

I'm sure the stock frame is weaker than what he is using. I know mine will be pretty damn strong 3x3x.25 inside whats left of the stock frame.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Originally posted by blazed_out91
    how about as soon as the blazer gets done i prove to you this guys isnt as smart as you all think he is......
    Its not really a matter of how smart or not he is...He didnt make up the equations to figure the stuff out he just applied em and put them into a chart

How smart is someone when they look at a chart that shows deflection of a tube by weight being placed in the middle and then translates that into a trucks frame? Is every ounce of that trucks weight centered right in the middle of one tube? There are multiple body mounts and they are not in the center of the tube and there are 2 main rails. Every frame will flex some but I think this whole thing is getting out of proportion. How many of you guys have experiance with a tube chassis? Too many people on here think something is OK because so and so said so. You guys are pathetic and need to grow a brain. Most of the crap some of you guys are arguing about you really know nothing about. I'm not claiming to be some metal genious but I do work with structural steel everyday and I know what this stuff is used for in the real world.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    Oh wow. Who the fuck cares. IF you dont want 2x3 tubing then dont use it, if he does. WOOHOO for him. IF you want to do a stock floor body drop and use big tubing and still have to do like a 1 inch regular body drop and having a crazy ass strong frame, then good job. IF you want so use your stock frame and loose 6 inches of head room to lay rockers......yay for you. LEt people do what they once. I don think him driving down the raod is going to snap is truck inhalf. ANd dont say shit about wrecks b/c slicing out a 6 inch semi cirlce in the front of our frames to put big bags isnt safe for crashes either. But look at it this way, i dont plan on wrecking my shit ever and if i do, i plan on if it hits the frame dying in a horrible explosion of my mangled chassy and broken frame.

werd.
    03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

what chart are you guys talking about? I want to see.
    :hifu:
    87 350/350, juiced, body dropped on 20s, 00 sonoma front end conversion, shaved everything FOR SALE! http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100059983.htm
    -=Honky's Garage=-
    custom parts

http://www.myspace.com/infamousdubz

I haven't looked at that tubing chart in a while but 3x3 .250 wall is hella strong and hella heavy. I personaly used 2x3 .250 wall on my ranger and trust me it is also hella strong It only spans 5 feet or less and sits in the original frame. On a long stretch as in a fullsize or suv 3x3 would be a better choice. But like someone mentioned above that chart places 1000 pounds in the center of a 10 foot peice. That is a lot of weight concentrated in one spot which a vehicle does not do it is spread over a area the lenght of the tubing. In reality you would have to weigh the cab divide it by two and divide that by the # of body mounts and then you get you weight force per point of frame lenght and I assure you it will be way under 1000 lbs. If you guys want to use 3x3 go for it you frame will be that much stiffer. For you guys using 2x3 go for it , for you guys that want to run 1x1 solid staock FORGET ABOUT IT. Don't even say that I don't build anything over kill eather ask anyone that knows me and ask them. Whatever I build is overkill From the floor in my shop to vehicles.
    Altered Image Customs
    When Quality Counts
    1-860-564-5667
    CT licensed and Insured
    www.Alteredimagecustom.com

Originally posted by Dragginblazer
    How smart is someone when they look at a chart that shows deflection of a tube by weight being placed in the middle and then translates that into a trucks frame? Is every ounce of that trucks weight centered right in the middle of one tube? There are multiple body mounts and they are not in the center of the tube and there are 2 main rails. Every frame will flex some but I think this whole thing is getting out of proportion. How many of you guys have experiance with a tube chassis? Too many people on here think something is OK because so and so said so. You guys are pathetic and need to grow a brain. Most of the crap some of you guys are arguing about you really know nothing about. I'm not claiming to be some metal genious but I do work with structural steel everyday and I know what this stuff is used for in the real world.
    You talkin about the guy that made the chart?