Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2x3 box tubeing

draggin rocker member clean n low 84's Avatar
    the only way i would use 2x3 is if it was by .250 not 1/8", i guess i'm just a pussy.
    DRAG THAT SHIT!!!

My SSM profile, drop a tag!

Yea im a pussy too

Ok that settles it then..
    Just when you thought i faded away, I came back harder then ever...

I was talking about many people. You figure it out.

The chart shows deflection of a tube NOT deflection of a real trucks frame. A new chart with a 5 foot section and 1,000 pounds of weight would be more realistic but still not correct.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

mkay so I made up the chart and figured I would have to defend it....

But it LOOKS easier than a traditional body drop, so of course everyone is going to want to try it...
    then people should find some beter pics...sfbd involves fabin a new frame and cutting the floor...traditional involves cutting the floor....period...

how about as soon as the blazer gets done i prove to you this guys isnt as smart as you all think he is......
    ok, drive it for 30,000 miles and then I will come take a look...I never claimed that a sfbd could be done with small sizes, I said it couldnt function. And I never claimed to miraculously discover how to solve diplacement in a beam..So If you think you are going to prove someone wrong, its not me...its equations that have been around for much longer than you and I...good luck with that...

How smart is someone when they look at a chart that shows deflection of a tube by weight being placed in the middle and then translates that into a trucks frame?
    not very...but how smart is a person that ignores a simple comparison...no matter the test, if a stock size frame is compared to a sfbd'd frame size it shows a comparison that is valid.

I'm not claiming to be some metal genious but I do work with structural steel everyday and I know what this stuff is used for in the real world.
    then you should know that when a piece of 2x3x1/8 is put under a dynamic load (changing) for a long period of time it will yield (break) or deform....metal is metal, different properties of course, but they all act the same...when you wiggle the tab on the top of a soda can it gets weaker and weaker till it breaks...this is true for all metals...when you bend somthing over and over agian it gets weaker and weaker till it breaks...the stronger it is, the less it bends and the longer it takes

little scenerio....one truck has 2x3x1/8 one truck has 3x3x1/4 and the last truck has a stock frame....the stock frame has been deemed the standard by general motors engineers, but what do engineers know anyways, right? now uner a load 3x3x1/4 will bend more than a stock frame..fact...2x3x1/8 will bend even more than that...fact....since bending causes fatigue which leads to failure, which frame will last longer before it breaks? I think its obvious...

But like someone mentioned above that chart places 1000 pounds in the center of a 10 foot peice.
    you weight force per point of frame lenght and I assure you it will be way under 1000 lbs.
    Last time I checked 60 inches was 5 feet...and do you mean to tell me that when you hit a pothole, or drop the frame on the ground doin 30 mph or go around a curve at 50 mph your frame dosent experience way more than 1000 lbs? the truck weighs 3000lbs plus just sittin there!!!!you need to look at the big picture...forget cab mounts, they are usless in this discussion...If it was a unibody I would agree, but its not...the frame acts as one entire piece...what one part of the frame experences the entire frame reacts to....the only points that matter to a frame is is where the suspension ties into it...

I made this chart to help people out and so they could see some some hard numbers...if you wana use 1x1 or 5x5, I dont care...build it and have fun with it...when someone starts attacking me for trying to give a hand is when I have to get up on my soap box...Dont be mad at me cuz the numbers say small=weak....Im jumping down now...my fingers are tired...later, Jon
    Last edited by ConnecticutX; 12-06-2003 at 06:33 PM.
    Exceeding Limits CT prez.

damnit were is this friggin chart??
    :hifu:
    87 350/350, juiced, body dropped on 20s, 00 sonoma front end conversion, shaved everything FOR SALE! http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100059983.htm
    -=Honky's Garage=-
    custom parts

http://www.myspace.com/infamousdubz

here ya go CDUBZ

Sorry about the 10 ' thing For some reson I though that was the length in the chart. Thanks for informing us on the deflection per peice and the diffrent sizes. I was not trying to nock you at all. I belive 2x3 .250 wall would be sufficent for a mini however. Take the 3000 lb weight divide it in half 1500' lbs now you also have the cab of the truck bolted to the frame in many spots acting as a structural support also. In my opinion it would be ok. .125 Is getting alittle thin however. What we really need to concentrate on is informing the people that see the 1/2 x 3" plate layed flat being used as a frame!
    Altered Image Customs
    When Quality Counts
    1-860-564-5667
    CT licensed and Insured
    www.Alteredimagecustom.com

draggin rocker member clean n low 84's Avatar
    Thank you for clearing that up Jon!
    DRAG THAT SHIT!!!

My SSM profile, drop a tag!

03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

So your saying ANY type of steel will fatigue after time and break? Take a look around next time you go out driving bro and look at the steel stop light poles. When a gust of wind blows they flex and sway all over the place and I don't see them falling down.

That chart is helpful if you want to know which size tube will be stronger and THATS ALL. It will not determine if a trucks frame will be complete shit. Crossmembers and bracing play a huge role.

I was tired of these kids looking at a chart and saying UNLESS IT'S 3x3x.25" IT'S COMPLETE SHIT. What do they really know? The guy whose building the truck knows, or he should know.
    Last edited by Dragginblazer; 12-07-2003 at 12:50 AM.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

ok so pretty much this chart says if you dont use 3x3x1/4 your fucked, it will bend.
    Thanks for the link to it guys!
    :hifu:
    87 350/350, juiced, body dropped on 20s, 00 sonoma front end conversion, shaved everything FOR SALE! http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100059983.htm
    -=Honky's Garage=-
    custom parts

http://www.myspace.com/infamousdubz

Matt why are you arguing with him? I have been telling you way before that chart was out, that the smallest i would ever use would be 3x3 and thats what we used on your truck.I think hes right and you should be happy these kids are gonna quit trying to build a frame out of 1x1 to avoid cutting the floor.Using the body to reinforce the frame is a bad idea.It isnt meant to support any load, thats the frame job.The cab is only spot welded together and if the frame flexes too much your gonna start having sagging doors and a buncha of other problems.
    Bolt on is for swing sets.
    SSM Profile

Originally posted by Dragginblazer

That chart is helpful if you want to know which size tube will be stronger and THATS ALL. It will not determine if a trucks frame will be complete shit. Crossmembers and bracing play a huge role.

I was tired of these kids looking at a chart and saying UNLESS IT'S 3x3x.25" IT'S COMPLETE SHIT. What do they really know? The guy whose building the truck knows, or he should know.
    Do you guys not read anything?
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

That chart is helpful if you want to know which size tube will be stronger and THATS ALL.
    Isnt that the whole idea? To see the strength of the different size tubing? And to see how much it will flex and bend? Dont those factors determine whether you have a good frame underneath your truck or not?
    The guy whose building the truck knows, or he should know.
    Which is apparently why Sammy used 3x3x.25 on your truck