Thread: .30 Bore Question??

.30 Bore Question??

i have a 81' 350 4 bolt main that i plan on taking and getting bored. I have hoping to get one bored under .30 but i dont think i can on this engine. I heard that boring an engine 30 or over cause problems like overheating and others. i figured those who had an a engine bored 30 over could gve their info. I have a corvette rad. and a electric fan.
    thanks
    Scot
    87' S10 Blazer 2wd 2d, 3/4 drop 18' Lexani Synegy's Shaved Roofrack Shaved Spare Tire Rack Shaved Emblems m3 Mirrors w/ LED Turn Signals FBI Smootie Rollpan w/ droptag, Smoothie Tailgate, 5% Tint SideWinder Alarm Alpine Deck Kenwood Amp Kicker 4x6's 2 15' Treo's. Under Construction Garage: 78' 350 4 bolt main Comletely Balanced, 9.5:1 Comp. hyperutectic rods, 480 288 Cam, Performer RPM Intake, Holley 675, 700r tranny w/ Brute shell, Z-Pac 3-4 clutch w/ B&M Megashifter

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Boring the cylinders out puts makes the cylinder walls thinner which reduces the ammount of space for heat to disipate (sp) and also puts the combustion process just a little bit closer to the water jackets. Boring to .030 over, I don't think you will tell much of any difference between .030 and standard bore. Now if you go .060 over I think you may see some difference.

That's how I've understood it at least.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

your fine.. dont worry about it.. you mainly have to worry about it on 400 blocks because they have siameese (sp) cylinders and the have cooling issues.. you can bore a 350 .60 over with NO problems.. i have one rite now and i have absolutely no issues so your more then fine with 30 over..

and find new people to get info from
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

my 350 is bored 60 over and it heats up alittle. about to 210 but i think that need a new radiator. which today it really didn't heat up at all. it got to about 165. thats b/c it is winter now.

Slow Ride
    it's actually .030" over. that's only .015" per side.

ya you definetely won;t have any problems. .030 over is nothing. only problem like slow 89 said is when u hvae a 400 with siamesed cylinders and u bore it to .060 over. but even then its not too big of an issue
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

hell yeah, thanks.all i have to do now is get my ass over to the engine shop.
    87' S10 Blazer 2wd 2d, 3/4 drop 18' Lexani Synegy's Shaved Roofrack Shaved Spare Tire Rack Shaved Emblems m3 Mirrors w/ LED Turn Signals FBI Smootie Rollpan w/ droptag, Smoothie Tailgate, 5% Tint SideWinder Alarm Alpine Deck Kenwood Amp Kicker 4x6's 2 15' Treo's. Under Construction Garage: 78' 350 4 bolt main Comletely Balanced, 9.5:1 Comp. hyperutectic rods, 480 288 Cam, Performer RPM Intake, Holley 675, 700r tranny w/ Brute shell, Z-Pac 3-4 clutch w/ B&M Megashifter