Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: throttle body restrictor plate

Alright i spent a few hours on it. The plate that i got from CFM stuck no matter what... i took a look at it and it was uneven on some sides and it even looked like it came out in some spots rather than being round. I put the stock back in and it moved perfectly with no sticking... i even had a can of carburator cleaner with me to make sure it should open and close smoothly. What i'm going to do now is just use a dremel on my stock plate and get rid of that restrictive piece of metal. THen i'll know for sure that it shouldn't stick and that it'll work just like CFM's.... but i will have that $40 round restrictor plate just sitting around.

I didn't get a chance to work with mine today.

But did you notice how the center holes where the screws go threw are smaller. I think that is where the problem may be. If they were the same size as on the stock piece we might be able to adjust it better to avoid sticking. Also the CFM piece looks a little bit thicker too. Which might be part of the binding problem.

I too noticed that this piece isn't completely round. There are flat spots on the sides where it slides into the TB. Didn't take notice whether or not those were on the stock piece or not.

If I can't stop it from binding or the high idle the stock goes back in for me also. The extra low end isn't enough to keep a sticking TB or high idle.

Yeah there is suppose to be flat sides on the side of the CFM restrictor plate... if you look at your stock plate it has them too... it's just on mine it would be flat and then come out a little bit and leave noticable scratch marks on the bore of the throttle body. What i also didn't understand is why the small little whole is the opposite of where the stock one would be? I called and asked if what the directions said were true. The guy said that the hole needs to be opposite of where the stock hole was and needs to be closest to the radiator with the "T".

Why is that extra flap of metal on the stock restrictor plate in the first place?? Because i want to cut it off with my dremel and save myself the sticking problem.

I think the flap is supposed to be for better air distribution. I know with the new one in place my top end doesn't seem as impressive. But the low end has more to it.

So if the hole indeed goes forward I have mine in backwards. I still don't think that has anything to do with my high idle. I'm pretty sure that is due to my having to adjust the idle screw so the new blade doesn't bind. But I will pop mine off later and try a few tricks to see if I can get it to work.

Someone needs to tell CFM to write directions that make sence. Also put pictures in it.

i'm going to sand down some edges on my CFM blade and see if it'll open and close smoothly.

Would another cheap mod be the EGR mod? I heard you can get 5-10 HP gains and it's not that much $$$. Anyone know where i can order this and see the instructions to install it?

Originally posted by M1K3
    Would another cheap mod be the EGR mod? I heard you can get 5-10 HP gains and it's not that much $$$. Anyone know where i can order this and see the instructions to install it?
    on '02+ motors, the EGR is internal.
    = no mod for us :mad:

thats shitty... oh well.. i guess i'll just work on trying to get this sanded down to work properly.

What about the 180 degree stat you can install? I really don't know much about it, but if it's cheap and gives you some performance boost then i'd try it.

Titties and beer TWIZTID EXTREME's Avatar
    ya thats what my boy did .. he used his stock throttle blade and removed the rivets that hold the restrictor. thats how i got the idea of ordering one of these from cfm because just in case if i need to go to get some work done by the dealer or even if i didnt like it i could always put it back to stock. he hasnt had any problems with his sticking. but make sure you cover up the holes when u remove it. use some tape or someting. does anyone know wher ei can get a stock throttle blade from?
    2003 white xtreme blazer
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/twiztidxtreme

AIM: twiztidxxxtreme
    AOL: twiztidxxxtreme@aol.com

whats this EGR mod? or can i do it on my 90 4.3 btw. is there anyway to adjust the linkage on my TBI so it will have better response, and wheres this adjuster screw? do u have a pic of this adjuster screw?
    NEW RIDE 89 s10 std cab shortbed 2.5 5 speed 2WD slammed 6/5
    90 4x4 2dr, primer, 18's, 4.3, rollpan, 6/6 slam, SOLD
    The only ford i would drive is a courier!

So I finally went and played with the CFM blade. I looked mine over and noticed that on the side with the "T" on it (but on the opposite side of the T, as if the T was 12 o'clock the smooth edge would be 6).

That edge looks smoothed out already.

So I put it back in with that edge in the back of the TB. Now I have virtually no sticking. You still need to adjust the idle screw. But very little. So now the truck idles around 600rpm.

So as stated before. When installing. The "T" faces outward. And towards the front of the vehicle. So when you look down into the TB from the top facing down. The top of the "T" should be parallel with the radiator essentially.

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    does anybody know if an 89 TBI (the 2bbl version) has a restrictor plate?

ok boozted if i understand you correctly..... ok the T is facing up ..... the the side with the T is closer to front bumper (radiater) correct? well i did that and mine doesnt stick or bind at all now. i should of taken a picture when i had the chance
    2003 white xtreme blazer

not with mine... i had HARD sticking with mine... so i sanded the not-so-round sides and now it opens and closes smooth... i noticed with the hood open it makes a high pitched tone when i hit the gas... my blazer also idles at 550rpm's so it was a successful install.

Most people think they messed it up because when they first turn on there car it idle's at about 1000-1200rpm's... but thats because the car isn't warmed up. If you let it sit for about 2-4 mins it'll slowly start to drop to the resting idle.

the problem with mine was that when i had the heat on and i was sittin on red light or even in park... it would idle high for a couple seconds and drop down.... kept doing it til the SES light came on
    2003 white xtreme blazer

thats funky.... was it because your blad was in backwards?

The guy at CFM was in the office new years eve at 9pm... i was pretty surprised someone was still there to help me understand the directions, pretty awesome company.