Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: homemade suicide doors?

That was your friends genius idea, is taking the hinges, reversing them, bolting them onto that sheet of metal then welding that onto the door, I like the idea of welding that big peice to the door cause that will reinforce it... I dunno what was so secret, I could just see it, and know what to do, but thanks for verifying.

i wasnt keeping anything a secret.....i just didnt tell what they were off of and ppl go pissed.....
    East Coast Droppers

Wash, PA

www.cardomain.com/id/reefer92

-(RattleCan Customs)- S-10 Vinnie's Avatar
    just remember you get what you pay for. Jason guarenties (sp) his to never sag. i'll stick w/ the kit. it's still custom if you install it yourself.
    99 S-10 Pickup: Daily Driver soon to be Daily Dragger.

Front Bagged/3" drop in the rear.

Suffering from C.R.S. crafty one's Avatar
    Reefer, those hinges look just like the ones that come on the 69-73 F-100. That is actuall a pretty ingenious idea, since those are pocket style hinges and not the standard pivot style.... If they are the truck hinges, there is a modification you can do to get about 80deg out of them. I'll have to ask a freind of mine since he used similar hinges on his 46 coupe.....
    It looks like everyone else's maroon 4dr....

yeah i heard that same thing about being able to modify them to do 80 degrees....but i didnt know who to ask....but i dont know if they are off of the ford....all i know is they are pocket hinges thats why they work and i got mine off of an old jeep in the junkyard.....and i garuntee if u do these hinges right....they wont sag either....everything those hinges are bolted to are reinforces...u can sit on my door and its not saggin.....
    East Coast Droppers

Wash, PA

www.cardomain.com/id/reefer92

"it's still custom if you install it yourself."[s10 vinnie]
    not to start a debate!!!! But............
    no its not!!!!
    buying a kit and instaling it yourself is personalizing it ............customizing it is figuring it out (with the help of freinds) and doing it yourself.
    Last edited by dieselweasle; 12-18-2003 at 03:38 PM.
    it's slow but it goes

Yes S-10 vinnie I must agree with dieselweasle he is right. I like the idea of how he did it, I'll cosnider doing it when I can find some good hinges, peace

they have been doing that for years.. tehre are plentyy of hinges out there u can use.. like off a saab or anything else where the hing goes into teh body (i dunno how to explain that)
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

you can use 73-79 jeep wagoneer hinges, corvair hinges, hinges from 55-57 chevys, its not a big secret, I dont know why jason said to keep it a secret, everyone knows about it. I havent ever bought jasons kit, because I prefer to save money and do it the old school way.
    buy 4 hinges for $5 each from junk yard
    reinforce hinge and door with minimal of 8th plate
    cut hole in jamb for hinge
    bolt in hinge
    bolt hinge to door
    put latch in front of door
    angle iron on the front jamb
    bolt striker in
    Done
    $50 or less per door.
    :hifu:
    87 350/350, juiced, body dropped on 20s, 00 sonoma front end conversion, shaved everything FOR SALE! http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100059983.htm
    -=Honky's Garage=-
    custom parts

http://www.myspace.com/infamousdubz

I dont know about you guys, but im gonna give it a go.

draggin rocker member clean n low 84's Avatar
    reefer or whoever posted the pic. Was the door in the pic open to its full ablity? I might go pick up some of those jeep hinges and give it a try.

Hey CDUBZ thanks for the steps. I know it doesn't seem much of work for you, but when someone explains simple directions like that it helps out alot of people including me, you already got 2 people who seem to wanna give it a shot, and I will to when I get the blazer, thanks man we need more people like you who are open then people like reether who brag, but don't wanna tell. But I know theres lots of people who share lots of things, its why I live on these forums ;)

-Mike

BlazinDubz, I have no problem with telling everyone everything I know, no one has ever told me a full how to, so once I figure it out I share with everyone who asks because I think it is b.s to keep things a secret that can benefit someones truck. Know I did forget some steps, alot of vehicles differ. one step I forgot to post was alot of times you need the back of the hinge to bolt up to something, this will keep it from sagging. I have yet to do a blazer, but an idea I had for the back was to build a box from the back of the jamb and weld it to the inner structure of the truck and bolt up the back of the hinge. With trucks you can run a bolt from the back of the hinge to the back of the cab. I have an s10 in my garage that I am setting up for 20s and many other things, and last year I suicided the doors on it. I will get some digital pics of it to shed a little more light on it. I also have hinges laying around for an up coming suicide job I will be doing, so I can get pictures of those too, and when the time comes maybe a how to suicide your doors? Also you can get wagoneer hinges that open to a full 90 degrees, but you have to look out for the ones that only open 45s, and 60s, but you can modify those to open to 90s....well Im off to get some pics:bigthumb:
    87 350/350, juiced, body dropped on 20s, 00 sonoma front end conversion, shaved everything FOR SALE! http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100059983.htm
    -=Honky's Garage=-
    custom parts

Originally posted by CDUBZ
    but you can modify those to open to 90s....
    how is that done?

there is a stop on the wagoneer hinges, you can just cut that off to swing a full 90.
    pics coming soon, its taking a while to get them up.
    -=Honky's Garage=-
    custom parts