Thread: 180 stat?

180 stat?

I've seen that a lot of mods that others have done is the 180 stat change. Does anyone know where to order or to see how to install this is? I'm looking for cheap mods.

12 Second Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    you can get them from Pep Boys, Napa or any autoparts store.

if you want to order one online, www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com carries them as well.

I run a 160 degree stat in my truck, but I dont drive it in the winter so its not a problem. Also just so your aware, it may effect your emissions slightly so if you have a problem passing the sniffer test at some point, swapping the 195 degree back in might do the trick.

dont forget the new gasket too. as for installing it, its pretty easy, usually just 2 bolts on the thermostat housing located on the intake manifold. I suggest draining some of the coolant out of the radiator into a bucket before you begin, otherwise its gonna be all over the place when you yank the upper radiator hose.

HTH

also, dont look for any major increase in power or anything. all a lower temp stat will do is make the engine run cooler (obviously) and for the most part you wont feel any difference.
    Morgan . FQuick Garage

Rides

1998 BMW 540i/6 - Twin Turbo LS2/T56 Project
    1993 GMC Typhoon - PTE-52 Turbo, Built Trans & More
    1993 Toyota Celica GT - Stock, Daily Driver
    1970 Chevy El Camino SS - LT1/T56 Project

Do you have a hypertech PPIII?

M1K3 - I see from your list of mods on your cardomain site that you have a hypertech pp3.

from page 2 of the hypertech pp3 manual:

"For 4.3 & 8.1L vehicles, Hypertech recommends using the stock thermostat. For 4.8/5.3/6.0L vehicles, Hypertech recommends using the 180 degree PowerStat."