Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 700r4 lock up

700r4 lock up

okay...ive been reading on here and it seems like ihave to wire up the tranny to lock up in overdrive.. i guess im sposed to go to bowtie overdrive? is that the site to go to?....to get a wiring diagram so i can make this happen...

My questions are this...

1 do i have to have this lock up?

2 if i dont ..if i drive to the beach like twice a year... (like 4 hours.)
    will my tranny burn up?

3 how do i set up ..and or adjust my tv cable?

will lock up save gas?

any other points that i should know would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 700r4 lock up

Originally posted by lowestyet1
    okay...ive been reading on here and it seems like ihave to wire up the tranny to lock up in overdrive.. i guess im sposed to go to bowtie overdrive? is that the site to go to?....to get a wiring diagram so i can make this happen...

My questions are this...

1 do i have to have this lock up?

2 if i dont ..if i drive to the beach like twice a year... (like 4 hours.)
    will my tranny burn up?

3 how do i set up ..and or adjust my tv cable?

will lock up save gas?

any other points that i should know would be greatly
    appreciated.
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. Use the correct throttle linkage for the tv cable and you won't have to do much adjusting to the TV cable. Unless you want it to come in sooner, then you will have to adjust it to come in sooner. Someone might be able to shed more info on that.

And yes it will save gas.

Call summit racing and order the push button lock up switch, it will come with instructions on how to wire it up.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    www.700r4.com these guys are great. They have awesome customer service and will answer any question you have relating to your setup your running and help you figure out what is best for you. ALso good parts. IM running there lockup kit on my truck. So i suggest ordering from them and if not they have pages of info explaining how lockup converters work.

can i make my own wiring harness? i like to wire things and im pretty good at wiring.. but what PARTS would i need?.....i havent looked at the site into detail yet...but im just about to. but if i can, id like to wire it up with out a harness.

ALSO!!!
    i have access to the truck that this tranny came out of....could i just get that stand alone computer out of it?... could i just use that and all of its wiring? the guy said if i need any parts off of it..im welcome to them.

i was just all over that site...tis a really good site.. and i found that it definitly seems possible to wire this up myself..but the relay switch ...can i use any normal relay?..or does it have to be one of those continous switches....

also, i can wire up the stuff on the outside.. would my tranny need any of that wiring on the inside?...or is theh wiring thats already in there for a computer only?...

thanks for ANY help, matt.

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    I actually have to disagree with Yenko on this one. You do not HAVE to wire up the convertor to lock up. It will not burn up the tranny if it is driven any amount of distance without the lock-up engaging. The lock up function will give you better gas mileage because it completly locks the torque convertor and allows no slippage as in some older model trannys.
    Proper adjustment of the TV cable is imperitive if you want the tranny to last though. You have a very little amount of leaway here. Too tight or too loose WILL burn up the tranny in a very short amount of time. If you can use the stock throttle/kickdown bracket, do it. It will simplify your life greatly, but you will still have to set the tension on the TV cable. If you have questions on this, usually any competant tranny shop in your area can give you some pointers.

thanks highvoltage...my mechanic at work said the same...but thanks to all the responses...i think im going to wire it up later...but i want to know if i need to gbuy the harness...or could i use that computer out of the other truck....ill call a tranny shop tonight... matt

i agree with yenko. DEFINETELY wire up the lock-up. it will create a lot of excessive heat if u don't. no, hell no u dont; avhe to buy the wiring harnes. theres two common ways of wiring it in.. well first off to answer ur quesiton.. there is no stand alone computer for a 700r4. the lockup is usually computer controlled excpet on carbed trucks where it is a vacum switch and a siwtch at hte brake pedal. and that is how u will ahv eot wire in ur lock up. wire in a toggle switch in ur passenger compartment that switches 12 volts. u aslso want the 12 volts to get cut off when u apply the brakes. most truck already ahve this wire there. the plug that goes to ur trans hopefully u didnt; cut out of ur truck. if u check it with a voltmeter or test light, it will get power when the brakes are off but he power shoudl get cut off when u apply the brakes. u jsut shoudl put a swithc on taht wire, cause otherwise it will lock up in 2nd 3rd and fourth at all times. then ground out the other wire. also, if u wanna make it even better, get a vacum switch and put it on teh 12v wire so when the vacum siignal drops (like when u hit hte gas) it unlocks.
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

so i need a relay switch... wire tapped into the brake pedel... a plug of a wiring harness that will plug into my tranny... and a fuse w/ a holder...and i can just follow the wiring diagram on the bowtie overdrive? this seems too easy.

it look slike the plug that goes into the tranny has more than one wire.... which does it go to?...the hot wire that is...will the tranny just ground through the engine then too?

thanks ...AGAIN>.. you guys help alot..
    mattt

I know that Yenko told me there is a lockup kit that summit sells that works on a switch, you just hit the switch when you want it to lock up (like on long highway driving) and then hit the switch to unlock when your stopped or something.. I dont know who makes this, because this is the one that I want, but I'll hopefully find out about it.
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

u know i have no idea which wire goes wher eon teh trnas. if i remeber correctly it varies from year to year. theres plenty of diagrams online. just go to yahoo type in 700r4 lockup wiring. sorry i dont; have time to look it up for ya
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

The lockup on the 700R4 is rather simple to wire yourself.

I would go to the wreckers and pull the wiring from an early 80's car or truck. Make sure it has teh 4 prong tranny connector. You want the wiring from the tranny, up to a vacuum switch, and through the firewall to the brake pedal switch. This is just a +12 feed for the tranny with a vacuum interupt.

The 4 prong plug has 3 wires.

+12 input
    - 12 input
    - 12 output (tells the computer your in 4th gear)

So what you do is connect the -12 output with the -12 input ... this way the tranny will only lockup when it is in 4th gear ... cool eh?

The you use the wiring from the wrecker to provide +12. It works like a factory setup in that the circuit is broken when you use the brake, and it will only lockup when the engine is not under load.

With this setup you don't need a relay or switch.

I've done it this way for years with success.

Mark.

i want to try that method mark. can you explain the process for hooking it up? i have a 350 in my blazer with a 700r4 tranny and a b&m lockup converter. my gas milage is horrible and i am wondering if the lock up has anything to do with it. i still have the transmission plug hooked up in the vehicle, but the computer is no longer in it so i don't think the lock up is working. so where on the brake wiring should this 12+ be connected?

should the power flow be like this:

12+ from brake switch (only when pedal is pressed)
    wired to a pressure switch connected to a constant or ported vaccum on the engine
    and ending at the transmission 12+ input

then
    the 12- input is connected to a grounding spot, say the chassis somewhere

and then
    the 12- output is connected to the same grounding spot as the 12- input?

if anyone is good at paint, can they draw up a quick diagram to illustrate how this wiring should look? thanks.
    nipples

teh 12+ should come from teh brake swtich and go through teh vacum switch, but u want it to have power when teh brake is NOT pressed. basicalyl this will make it unlock when u press teh brakes. the vacum switch shoudl be connected toa ll time vacum, and it needs to stop the 12+ when vacum drops. so liek when u hit the gas it unlocks. as for the grounds. it depends ont eh internal wiring on teh trans. someone said connect the two 12-. and yes u can do that as long as the internal trnas wiring is correct. some transmissions dont; avhe an internal ground i think. i used to knwo all this but i forgot.. been so long since i messed with my trans.... but good luck
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi