Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 700r4 lock up

It was 2.8 fuel injected engine, so I don't think there is a pressure switch on the 12+ and there is no computer, so chances are I am looking at rewiring the plug myself and was just looking for some guidance for wiring it correctly.
    nipples

i drove without my lookup hooked up for at least 3 years and never had any problems.
    this is a test of the sig

i'm concerned aboyt my gas milage though. i'm getting lke 9 miles to the gallon and my engine is only slightly modded over stock. if i had to guess i would be lucky if i was hitting 280-300 hp. does that sound right?"
    nipples

9mpg all depends on your combination. Seems low to me for a truck with overdrive. Although I had a 82 chev short box with a big cam, ported heads and I was luck to get 10-12 ... and that with a 700R4, 3.42 gears and a working lockup convertor.

Mark.

ya but i am talkin stock heads and a very very mild (not much over stock at all) cam. i have no clue what the problem is.
    nipples

driving style? :-)

I would check the basics:

- timing (base and advance)
    - condition of plugs, wires, cap, rotor
    - condition of carb
    - air cleaner

You could just have a mismatched combination of parts as well.

What gear ratio do you have?
    What size tires?

Mark.

timing is set at about 10 or 12 i believe
    plugs wires cap and rotor are all new (bought a summitracing hei distributor)
    carb is a brand new (well now about 4 months old) eddlebrock 650 electric choke 4bbl
    and the air clearner is a brand new eddelbrock (the triangular shaped one)

gear ratio in the rear end is what ever came stock in the 1987 2wd 2door s-10 blazers 3.73 i think?

tires are 215/60/15 bfg touring ta's
    nipples

check the rpo codes in ur glove box... there is a post hta thas all teh mening of the gear rpo codes. if they aren;t there or something... about how much are u taching at 60 mph? or if uw anan do it the old fashioend way.. u can count revolutions of hte driveshaft for each wheel recolution.. gear ratios aren;t year, 2wd/4wd or anythign specific.. usualyl 4 cylinders had lower (nubmerically higher) gear ratios though.
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

ya but regardless, will the rear end make that huge of a difference? i am pretty sure its engine related, not drivetrain. i could be wrong though
    nipples

Where do you do most of your driving?
    What RPM is the engine at?

As an example, if your always on the highway and the engine is reving 3000rpm, well then that is why your mileage is low.

But it sounds like you might have some tuning. Perhaps plugged cat, or restrictive exhaust. Carb might be too rich. Vac Advance might not be working. Rocker arms might be a tad too tight.

Too early to say for sure.

Mark.

most driving is in city, around 1000-1400 rpm
    the exhaust has no cats and is true straitback duals.

purhaps the vac advance isn't working, but i don't think so cause the whole distributor is new, but who knows.

my first thought was that the carb was not set propperly. and i have played with it and got it running better but it has not effected gas mileage at all.

would the rocker arms being to tight make a big impact? wouldn't i hear noises if they were?
    nipples

Your combination seems fine.

Best to check that your speedo is correct.

If your carb is way out, your plugs should appear BLACK from the excessive fuel.

Rocker arms that were too tight should cause idle issues. Too loose should make clattering noises.

If it is idling smooth, then you might have to look elsewhere.

Could be a number of things, or nothing.

What compression ratio do you think you have?

Mark.

I found a 700R4 that a friend of mine has. He told me, he'd let it go for $50 to get it out of his shop. The only thing I know about it is, that it is a 700R4 and it has a cable speedometer. I have no clue what year it is.

My question is, is there a website that you can cross reference numbers to determine what year this tranny is? I did look on the side of the tranny like oldcarguy said, but I can't see nothing. This tranny has been plagued with dirt and oil all over it. Every crack is filled with grim. I think as this tranny or maybe even the motor was leaking, the vehicle that this tranny was in, was driven down a dirt road about a million times(that's how dirty this tranny is).

I'd like to find out more info about this tranny before I buy it(if I decide to buy it). So, if anyone knows of a website, I sure would appreciate a link.

Thanks,
    Yenko
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    I don't know of a website, but the shift kit install instructions that I have at home tells you where to look and what to look for. If no one else posts a link, I will find it when I get home for you.

http://www.highperformancecars.com/crosley/700id.htm

there ya go that should do the trick
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi