Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 700r4 lock up

o ya that same site has great info on lockup wiring too
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

Question

Out of curiosity, I'm looking for side skirts, does anyone know where I can find them, i've been looking for a while now, no luck.... :confused:
    Chevy, Eats Fords, Shits Dodges

nipples

Originally posted by Yenko
    I found a 700R4 that a friend of mine has. He told me, he'd let it go for $50 to get it out of his shop. The only thing I know about it is, that it is a 700R4 and it has a cable speedometer. I have no clue what year it is.

My question is, is there a website that you can cross reference numbers to determine what year this tranny is? I did look on the side of the tranny like oldcarguy said, but I can't see nothing. This tranny has been plagued with dirt and oil all over it. Every crack is filled with grim. I think as this tranny or maybe even the motor was leaking, the vehicle that this tranny was in, was driven down a dirt road about a million times(that's how dirty this tranny is).

I'd like to find out more info about this tranny before I buy it(if I decide to buy it). So, if anyone knows of a website, I sure would appreciate a link.

Thanks,
    Yenko
    I went up to my buddies shop and found the casting date. The transmission ended up being casted in 84. It didn't have the rainbow that Jordan said to look for. And it had the pressure testing plugs on the passenger side. I spun the input shaft and it turned fine out the output shaft(yoke end). Went through all of the gears and could feel tension when I moved the shifter linkage through each gear. Over all, this tranny seems good to go. I didn't pull the pan to take a look inside cause of the casting date( casting date.....:( ).

All in all, this tranny seems to be a rebuildable core. But being casted in 84, what kind of problems might I run into having it rebuilt? Is there any mods that this tranny might need just to operate properly under normal driving conditions? Any and all info would be appreicated.

Yenko :bigthumb:
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

i wouldnt; run it.. the front pump is crappy, no aux. valve body, 27 spline input shaft as opposed to 30... overall the odler ones especially pre-85 were really shitty. run it if u want.. but its not gonna last long IMO
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

Thanks Jordan

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu.../eventid/56688

I knew I wouldn't be happy with that transmission. So, I decided to wait and look elsewhere. I went to a car corral/swap meet this morning and decided to look there for a late model rebuildable core. I talked to a few people that wanted an arm and an leg for a core. The cheapest I could find was $275 and that person knew nothing about the transmission he was trying to sell. I gave him my insight about him knowing zero squat about the transmission he was trying to sell me. It was kind a funny watching him stand there in front of me and couple of other people and me telling him face to face, that he didn't know jack squat about the tranny and that his price was ridiculous. He said I didn't have to buy it and that he wouldn't sell it to me even if I had the money since I was so rude to him. I pulled $300 dollars out of my wallet and said your lose. And walk off shacking my head. As I was walking off, I saw two guys laughing at him as I was walking away.

Anyways, after searching some more, I did buy one for $80 dollars before I left the swap meet . Its has the rainbow in the casting between the cooler lines, but it doesn't have the pressure testing plugs(pressure taps) on the passenger side and it has a cable speedometer. So, that tells me its a 1989 700R4. But the casting number that is stamped on the passenger side down by the pan, doesn't make any since. The casting number is 3BR 096B. Jordan, the website you posted, said the first number is the casting date of the transmission. Its not a 1983 model cause of the rainbow and its not a 1993 cause of the cable speedometer. I'm lost on this one. But, not having the pressure testing plugs on the passenger side, says its a 1989 model 700R4. Or am I missing or over looking something here? Also, how could pulling the pan tell me about what year this transmission is?
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    I am assuming that you left out the middle part of the serial number that you posted. According to B&M, that is an '83 tranny, built on the 96th day of the year by the first shift. I don't know anything about a "rainbow" on the side, but it sounds like you got an older tranny than maybe you wanted.

Actually after reading up on that website, maybe someone replaced the VSS with a cable drive. It is not that hard to do, and in that case maybe you do have a 93!
    Last edited by hivoltagedriver; 02-01-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Question

my tranny was a 1989 700r4 with 98000 miles on it. had it rebuilt and its like brand new. yee haw. but i don't remember the codes on the side. sigh i changed my carb over to my old holley today cause i got sick of the eddlebrock not tuning right. maybe that will be good for my gas milage, but i would still like to know how much of a difference the lockup would make. might do it this weekend. what kind of vaccum switch should i be looking for, and where should i be able to find it??
    nipples

u almost definetely have an 88... dont; worry about casting numbers.... the rainbow and the lack of castiing plugs means its an 88 since they switched to VSS in 89. if u weanna check when u remvoe the pan, all that really matters is wether or not it has an aux. valve body. its a big silver thing that has 4 screw and a line running to it. its on teh back side of the tranny. this will identify it as a desireable 87.5-up transmission
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

Basically find a 1980-1987 carb'd Chevy. Malibu, Monte, truck, etc. The vac switch is usually beside the brake booster or on the driver's inner fender. Best thing to do is find the tranny plug and trace the wire back and take it all with you. Just becareful as the early 250/350 tranny's also had lockups but used a 2 pring connector, not a 4. You can adapt the wiring ... but you may as well look for the righ tone.

Speaking of tuning Edelbrock ... I Recall my onld 1406 carb had an interesting qwerk. It was VERY inconsistant at the track ... to the tune of .4-.5 seconds. I traced it down the to the secondary lockouts. When the choke is on, it pulls a lever which prevents the secondaries from opening. Under hard acceleration, I found the choke plate would move slightly and lock out the secondaries. I ended up using a washer in place of the lock out lever ... which solved the performance problem but caused a cold moring throttle limiter! The choke would flip the lockout all the way around and limit how far the main would open.

My 2 cents for carbs and chevy's ... invest in or make a heat sheild for under your carb. Keeps the fuel from boiling and causing other issues.

Edelbrock also has a great tuning manual for their carb. Talks about backing off the fuel until you feel it surge at cruise and then go one step richer. Good article. I recall they had it online or it is in your manual.

Mark.

Originally posted by wasteomind
    my tranny was a 1989 700r4 with 98000 miles on it. had it rebuilt and its like brand new. yee haw. but i don't remember the codes on the side. sigh i changed my carb over to my old holley today cause i got sick of the eddlebrock not tuning right. maybe that will be good for my gas milage, but i would still like to know how much of a difference the lockup would make. might do it this weekend. what kind of vaccum switch should i be looking for, and where should i be able to find it??

hey i looked at the plug on my tranny today and it only had 2 wires not three....what does that mean? and neither of them seemed to be a "hot" (12+) from the brake pedal. any input? the engine used to be a 2.8 FI POS. but i pulled it and yanked the computer out....
    nipples

the wire thats switched from teh brake pedal may be the ground.. one of them is either constant power, or just power when the brake pedal is not pressed. i forget its been so damn long
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi