Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a "Tips & Tricks" Sticky; need contributions please.

Dark Side Master LayinBodyBlazer's Avatar

Talking Creating a "Tips & Tricks" Sticky; need contributions please.

I'm in the process of making a "Tips & Tricks" sticky for the S&S Tech. If you have any unique or even widely used tip, trick, or short cut you feel that is worth adding, please post it up. After a couple of days of this being up, I will combine them into a single sticky for every one to have.

Also, as I said in the welcome post in S&S Tech, if you have a how-to or tech article you would like posted, please PM or email 91slammins15 or myself and we will review it for posting.

Thanks guys!

Team Rockford Fosgate Member
    My Street Source Mag Page
    My MySpace Page

Dark Side Master LayinBodyBlazer's Avatar
    I know some of you guys have to have some interesting tip or trick used when you install a system...

c'mon guys!

Team Rockford Fosgate Member
    My Street Source Mag Page
    My MySpace Page

NEVER LEAVE BIAR WIRES!! i didnt know that my with my frist truck (another 85 4x4 blazer) and i had my bad ass system in it and when i would turn sharp or somthin the sound would cut out..you cant imagine how imbarressing that was..:smoker:
    Minitruckin is not a phase....Its a life style!!!

:evilfu: Bowtie Bandit :evilfu:

my trick involves a 5 iron, 3 ice cubes, a big bottle of ky, a feather, and a bottle of wild turkey but i dont think its what your looking for.
    4 Door Love

pics are here

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    What about if I post this and let you put it where you want. It can be helpfull. And I'll add some of my battery and polarity cheats later on.

VENTED ENCLOSURE FORMULAS
    Optimum Tune Ported Vb (0 Ripple) Formulas

Box Volume=
    15xQts^2.78xVas

Low Frequency Cut off point
    (F3)=.26xFsxQts^-1.4

Box tuning Frequency
    Fb= Fsx(Vas/Box Volume)^0.31

Vent Design

Vent Radius
    Vr=Vent Diameter/2

Vent Length=
    14630000xVr^2
    -------------------
    (1728xVbxFb^2) - (1.463xVr)

Multiple Vent Formula
    The square root of (A^2+B^2)= the combined vent diameter

CONVERSION CHARTS

Linear Measurements Square Measurements Volume Measurements
    1 cm = .3937 inch 1 sq. in = 6.542 sq. cm 1 cu mm = .000061 cu in.
    1 m = 39.37 inches 1 sq. cm = .155 sq. in. 1 liter = .0353 cu. Ft
    1 m = 3.2808 feet 1 sq. M = 10.763 sq. Ft. 1 cu ft. = 28.317 liters
    1 inch = 25.4 mm 1 sq. Ft. = 929.034 sq. cm 1 cu. ft. = .02831 cu M
    1 inch = 2.54 cm 1 cu ft. = 1728 cu in.
    1 cu M = 35.314 cu ft.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

i always use spade connectors and female connectors on a wire if i just cut it. that way if i ever need it back on i can just unplug it from one to the next. also i ALWAYS use shrink tubing to to permently connect wires or to help the holding of the spade connectors. and NEVER leave wires exposed like superchevy suggested

i NEVER use electrical tape cuz any way you look at a nest of wires that is taped up.........it just looks gehtto.

i don't know if thats a "tip" but i would stongly suggest to do that whenever you hardwire something in.

well i made a how to make sub boxes but that got lost on the 2nd or 3rd page.
    97 GMC Jimmy SLE
    18" RE MT
    Concept 2400a

jacksonville,Palm Coast, Daytona,Orlando, florida
    i never use connectors always sodder
    aim*DRAGGINHARDCORE

bagged an dragged

some clips of me draggin
    http://www.hornblasters.com/vide.php?pic=19
    HARDCOREMINIS.net
    pics of my blazer an other stuff
    community.webshots.com/user/thumperc25
    http://www.cardomain.com/profile/thumperc25
    4 door love

I have a reel of what's called fishing wire that contractors use to run wires in between walls to run my wire under the carpet. I just run the wire under the carpet, the wire is flat and flexible enough to move around contours, then when it pops out the other side, I just attach my wire and feed it back. Works everytime with minimal effort and saves lots of time. Only one I had a hard time with was the RCA cables but then I just taped the 2 plugs together and pulled a bit harder :bigthumb:

Originally posted by s10blaza
    I have a reel of what's called fishing wire that contractors use to run wires in between walls to run my wire under the carpet. I just run the wire under the carpet, the wire is flat and flexible enough to move around contours, then when it pops out the other side, I just attach my wire and feed it back. Works everytime with minimal effort and saves lots of time. Only one I had a hard time with was the RCA cables but then I just taped the 2 plugs together and pulled a bit harder :bigthumb:
    x2, you can cut up a metal hanger too...thats what i use and it works 95% of the time...
    97 GMC Jimmy SLE
    18" RE MT
    Concept 2400a

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    Souloud....where the "F" are you?

Round To Square Port Conversions

Pie x R squared

For example::Say you have a 6" port that is 13" long, take half of the port size (Radius), in this case 3". Now multiply 3x3, (R squared). This is 9. Now do 9xPie, which is 9x3.14. Now you just got the square inch of your port. In this case 28.26.

Now you can design a square, rectangle, triangle or a port that is the sub logo. As long as you match the square inch.

For example::28.26 could be made into a 3"x9 3/8" opening, 13" long.

The lenghth of the port will stay the same. It determins the tuning frequency and is not effected by the conversion.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

blazin' it up for150,000+ blazerpounds's Avatar
    A good one for this site, bein Chevys, and best of all Blazers, is that GM grounds sucked on my asshole like a nest of fire ants on their radios, at least pre-94. If you hook up your sub, amp and deck PROPERLY, meaning the best grounding and power distibution system you can do, and you're still getting noise through the sub, think back to your head unit. Try and reground the deck through its own ground wire, and use both Harness and Chassis grounds. I was so sick of hearing that "Yes, the sub amp is on" sound, a noise that your subs produce when your music is all the way down, or change to the next track and you touch the sub and its moving consistently at all rpms (no alternator whine), and you can hear a low note thats not music from them (none through my F or R outputs for whatever reason) .
    What I did to fix that little bitch of a problem was take 3 lengths 2.5 ft each, tightly braid them up, ground i wire to the Stereo Harness, and 1 to each of the stereos chassis, and run it underneath your center console to tap into the sheet metal of the car, unless you find a spot you can find thats shorter. Now, I get no more noise, and it actually sounds a lot cleaner through my mids and highs also. But when i finished i asked myself if maybe the power wire sucked too, so tomorrow im gonna do another 12gg all the way to the battery, Ill let you know how it goes. Yeah im really bored.
    94 white 4 dr s10 blazer 4.3 CPI
    DEHP7300
    Infinity ref 4x6 plates & 6.5s
    Directed 200 & 600d
    2 12" Eclipse Blacks
    Whats Next? new 12"s, custom kicks and center console, components 350 1-a-d'z-dayz

Like blazerpounds said. Grounds on older blazer's suck. I had a buddy with an 84 and his Sony Mobile ES deck would shut down on huge bass notes. Regrounded the deck and *PoOf* No more cutting out.
    90 S-15 4.3 5spd Ext cab
    Premier Stereo - (4) 12" - Pioneer Premier 1241C - (1) Alpine MRVT1507 - (2) Alpine MRVT407 - Phantom grill - MSD Ignition - MIC Front bag setup - 15" Progressive Alloys - Shaved emblems and antenna - Tailgate skin - Steel Rollpan

2007 Trailblazer SS 6.0 V8 (3SS)
    Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS w/ GPS module - Massive Audio D800.4 - Diamond Audio SXP65s Front Components - Diamond Audio Convertible Rears - Viper 5901 w/SmartStart - SuperChips FlashPaq

www.SPLAudio.com

As for wire connections

With all the installations and rework I've had to do, when tapping a wire on to an existing wire !! DO NOT !! use quick connects, they come apart all the time and cause a huge mess. What you want to do is strip the wire back and spread the bare wires apart. put the wire you want to tap into the system into the hole you've created and twist around the existing wire. A piece of 3m electrical tape (super 33+ or something like that) (cheap electrical tape will not hold) then use a zip tie around both wires about an inch or 2 away from the connection. so if the wire is pulled on later the force of the pull is placed on the zip tie not on the actual connection. This method can be done very fast and is very very efficient. No need for solder. But if you'd like to take the time you could solder the connection.

--------------------- plain wire
    ------=====------ stripped wire
    ------==o==------- stripped wire with hole
    90 S-15 4.3 5spd Ext cab
    Premier Stereo - (4) 12" - Pioneer Premier 1241C - (1) Alpine MRVT1507 - (2) Alpine MRVT407 - Phantom grill - MSD Ignition - MIC Front bag setup - 15" Progressive Alloys - Shaved emblems and antenna - Tailgate skin - Steel Rollpan

Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS w/ GPS module - Massive Audio D800.4 - Diamond Audio SXP65s Front Components - Diamond Audio Convertible Rears - Viper 5901 w/SmartStart - SuperChips FlashPaq

www.SPLAudio.com

Electronic Education

On the home page look for MECP Education link.
    Last edited by groundzero2010; 03-18-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    90 S-15 4.3 5spd Ext cab

www.SPLAudio.com