Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $Typhoon$

I worked on a ty the other day at the shop for the first time and I never really looked at one, but that sucker is a nightmare to work on! I swapped a gearbox, some front end parts, and front axle seals........talk about a bitch. I wouldn't trade my plain 2wd blaze fer nuthin!
    Here are the major mods to my truck!

88 s15 jimmy. 17" rims. 5/6 drop, notched, full ground FX, Shaved roof rack, door handles, rear wing, tailgate, bumper, one bad ass 4.3 TBI, Bulletproof 700R4 tranny, Rear disc brakes, posi, Completely tweeded out!, Honda prelude buckets, Sweet Kicker/Alpine sound system......... AND NO TVs OR AIR!

there are kind of a bitch to work on.the biggest problem i had was i blew the motor. its just like working on a 4x4 blazer.with a few added parts
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

CLonInG IN ProgReSS (ha) JuStBlAzIN's Avatar
    Originally posted by spiders350
    I worked on a ty the other day at the shop for the first time and I never really looked at one, but that sucker is a nightmare to work on! I swapped a gearbox, some front end parts, and front axle seals........talk about a bitch. I wouldn't trade my plain 2wd blaze fer nuthin!
    not much that is is a bitch, it is too much money. i am builidng my motor right now and i am looking at 5 grand for the complete swap.
    "Fords are like tampons, every pussy has one!"

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

Originally posted by JuStBlAzIN
    not much that is is a bitch, it is too much money. i am builidng my motor right now and i am looking at 5 grand for the complete swap.
    welcome to the club lol. i want to upgrade my turbo and a few other things. im looking at around 4 grand just for that. but there nothing better than hearing that turbo spool
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)

yea i know esp with the 9/11 converter and 3" atr DP and waste. I am debating on which turbo to buy. i am thinking of pt60 but price wise, the pt66 is not much more. Here are my mods: .030 over trw's, Eagel H-beams, clevittes bearings, nitrated and re-balanced crank, vortecs, 50#'s injecters. and not sure if i should go with the rollor lifters and arms. but that what i have bought so far. and talk bout money

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

sounds like a nice set up you got going. i didnt look into which turbo to buy yet.

thanks.

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

12 Second Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Originally posted by bmxr4life87
    air ride in the back? WTF? WHEN?
    1992 & 1993
    HOW?
    By pulling them off the shelf and bolting them in
    WHERE?
    In the back
    WHY?
    keep the truck level when extra passengers or cargo are in the back
    is this true?
    Yes
    i want pictures!!!!
    cant find any.
    Morgan . FQuick Garage

Rides

1998 BMW 540i/6 - Twin Turbo LS2/T56 Project
    1993 GMC Typhoon - PTE-52 Turbo, Built Trans & More
    1993 Toyota Celica GT - Stock, Daily Driver
    1970 Chevy El Camino SS - LT1/T56 Project

morgan u got that brochure(sp) the black one (typhoon 93). the one folded into 6. there is a picture of the leveling system there. i have it but i can't scan it.

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

haha thanks for answering all my questions thoroughly, i think they need to make 2nd gen typhoons!!!!
    NEW RIDE 89 s10 std cab shortbed 2.5 5 speed 2WD slammed 6/5
    90 4x4 2dr, primer, 18's, 4.3, rollpan, 6/6 slam, SOLD
    The only ford i would drive is a courier!

Doesn't the Typhoon have the 4.3 Vortec? I thought those were hella hard to rebuild 'cause of the counter-balance, or am I mistaken.

I have an 88 and I got a 96 Vortec 4.3 from a Blazer that was rear-ended and I wanted to get the motor torn down and rebuild but I can't find any mechanic willing to do it for less than 2k since its got the counter-balance.

But I may be wrong about whats in the Typhoon, anyone know?
    :blazer:88 S-10 4x4:blazer:
    ==Muscle==
    4.3 V6 W/ FlowMaster Exhaust and K&N Intake
    ==Power==
    Pionner Premier DEH-P740MP
    Duel RockFord Fosgate Punch 250.a2
    ==Boom Boomz==
    Duel RockFord Fosgate 12" DVC
    :blazer:Blaze it up!:blazer:

its the same as a tbi 4.3 z code motor. a w code motor is the vortec. the only diffrence witht the sy/ty motor vs. the tbi 4.3. it has beefer rods and low compression pistons. the cranks are thw same. and im gonna need morgans help for the heads, but im 75% sure there the same

everyone i have talked to has told me the heads are the same of a 4.3 z block

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

Originally posted by syclonekid43
    its the same as a tbi 4.3 z code motor. a w code motor is the vortec. the only diffrence witht the sy/ty motor vs. the tbi 4.3. it has beefer rods and low compression pistons. the cranks are thw same. and im gonna need morgans help for the heads, but im 75% sure there the same
    close, but the only difference between the SyTy 4.3L Z code and a standard Z code 4.3L is low compression pistons and the main caps are nodular iron. The rods are not different, thats why they break. The early 90's W code L35 rods are actually an upgrade to the Stock SyTy LB4 rod.

So is true about the heads.

The stock Z code LB4 heads (which are also found on sytys) flow the least amount of air in stock configuration...... aka, they suck.

1992-1995 W code L35 heads flow better than LB4s in stock forum, but arent a HUGE improvent unless they are ported.

1996+ "Vortec" heads flow A LOT better than both previous style 4.3L heads and when ported, flow nearly as well as a set of Brodix heads. The only problem with using 1996+ heads on an older engine is that the intake manifold bolts do not line up and the flange surface is larger on the newer heads.
    Morgan . FQuick Garage

Rides

Originally posted by babydeagle
    I thought those were hella hard to rebuild 'cause of the counter-balance.

I wanted to get the motor torn down and rebuild but I can't find any mechanic willing to do it for less than 2k since its got the counter-balance.
    I dont see why............the balance shaft really doesnt add any level of difficulty to the rebuild.

Sounds to me like they are just trying to rip you off.
    Morgan . FQuick Garage

Rides