Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Torsion bar trick how to with pics

Hybrid View

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar

Post Torsion bar trick how to with pics

The Torsion Bar Trick
    (with pics)

revised the original post with info i thought was necessary and added pics.
    can some one make this a sticky or something?

-Before you start (more than a day in advance) you should soak both ends of the torsion bars with some type of penetrating oil. Driving around on bumpy roads will help work the lube into the mating spaces.

1.Jack up the front end and place jack stands securely under the frame so it is well supported. The front tires must be up off the ground enough for a jack to get under the tires or control arms for a later adjustment.

2.Take off the front bump stops. They must be removed or the truck will sit on them. (9/16 nut).

3.At the crossmember (where the rear of the torsion bars stop) unscrew the 2 adjuster bolts all the way, they should be 18mm bolt.

4. Use a two jaw puller (can be rented at Auto Zone for about $40.00 deposit) to lift the torsion bar adjuster arm (aka key) up off its support block, so you can remove the blocks out of the rear hole in the crossmember. In order to do this at least in my case I had to cut a notch into the cross member, so the arm of the jaw puller could grab onto the torsion bar cross member. Then slowly let the puller back down to release the pressure once the block is out. Now do the other side.

5.Now take a hammer and tap on the torsion bars to break the rust free (both ends) you may want to do this a bunch of times, the more the better. I took an pneumatic air chisel and took a spare bit and cut the point off and then used it in the air chisel to hit the torsion bar near the keys and the control arms, but a hammer will do the same.

6. Use a hammer and drift tap to pound the torsion bar towards the front of the vehicle. If you cannot get them to tap out you can remove the 4 bolts holding the whole crossmember in place.(I found this to be the easiest) For some of you the exhaust might be in the way, You can use a jack to hold the pipe up out of the way.

7. You should be able to slide the bars forward a few inches to 'disengage' them from the control arm hole.(or if you slid the cross member towards the rear the keys just fall out) Use a jack to lift the wheel/control arms up until the tire just about tucks into the wheel well.

8. Place the key back onto the torsion bar exactly the way it came off (you have slid the cross back if the crossmember was slid moved) or just pull the torsion bar back into the key hole. Make sure you reinstall the adjuster arm keys UPSIDE-DOWN. Make sure the shape of the key holes match up with the torsion bar shape before you tap them back in place.

9. If done correctly the support blocks should go back in with the keys sitting just above them.

10. Then put the torsion bar bolts back into the blocks and tighten them all the way up. MAKE SURE YOU ANGLE THE BLOCKS AND TORSION BAR BOLTS DIRECTLY TOWARDS THE KEYS, IF NOT THE BLOCKS WILL SLIP.

-Once both sides are done exactly like this, you can let the front end down and see how you did. You should be able to bounce the front end down a few inches before it bottoms out.

-You can now screw/unscrew the adjuster bolts for final leveling out or lowing even more. You should be able to adjust from a 5.5" to a 6.5" drop.

- If any parts look worn or damaged now is the time to replace them. Especially torsion cross member mounts.

-The ride quality suffers, it is bouncy due to lack of suspension travel left. Also the stock shocks are too compressed to function at all. Drop shocks will help and pancake bump stops will soften bottoming out.

-I have done my best to explain this whole procedure, but if you still have trouble, you can post questions here in the suspension or 4x4 forum. GOOD LUCK!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

whoops, not enough research on my part. whats the deal with screwing the adjuster bolts all the way in when putting it back on the gorund?

i just stuck the blocks in, made sure the keys were flat against them and went on my merry way. i've driven a little over 100 miles and no problems.
    My trucks have a few mods

Banned
    Another tip, if your that low, you WILL need to cut off the little metal lip where the bumpstop mount was. It will hit into the a-arms. I spent months replacing mounts and stuff to figure out that that was the problem the whole time.

(degrease and paint your front end and if there is any wear spots, well, somthings binding)

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Will the 4 wheel drive still work or do you have to remove the half shafts?
    I Don't Like Small Cars or Real Big Women, But somehow I Always Find Myself In Em!

id recommmend if you use the torsion bar trick u remove the axles, or they will break very soon.... btw i dont recommend the torsion bar trick, belltech keys are the way to go.
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

why dont u recommoned leaving in the half shafts if u use the torsion bar trick? binding? something?

half shafts will only function properly with a 3-4 inch drop... after that they will bind and destroy themsleves, within a matter of a few days or weeks
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

built not bought pimpinblazer89's Avatar
    im thinking i should pull out my half shafts since im kinda low, plus i dont use the 4x4 anyways
    Jeff
    89 4x4 blazer slammed shaved
    83 2wd blazer stock << frame for my 89
    85 olds 98 daily driver

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pimpinblazer89

AIM: pimpinblazer89

what are u dropped?
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

built not bought pimpinblazer89's Avatar
    about 4 1/2" maybe 5? i know i cant fit a beer can under it its about a 1/4" to low...i just wanna get buy till i swap frames next winter, its not my dailey driver
    Last edited by pimpinblazer89; 03-01-2005 at 04:31 PM.
    Jeff
    89 4x4 blazer slammed shaved
    83 2wd blazer stock << frame for my 89
    85 olds 98 daily driver

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pimpinblazer89

AIM: pimpinblazer89

wont it destroy your front wheel bearing hubs with the axles removed? I had that happen to my 91 jimmy when the axle nut just came loose.

Also has anyone had any major or minor alignment or suspension problems with the torsion bar trick?
    67 Deville
    91 K5

Banned
    You have to put the outer hub back on and screw the axle nut on.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Arrow how long

just wondering about how long this trick takes. :confused:

Arrow oh, i forgot....

i thought the beltech keys only lowered it 3". i turned my torsion bars and got almost 3" lower, usin the beltech keys should drop it an additional 3", shouldnt it?

Re: oh, i forgot....

Originally posted by agent305
    i thought the beltech keys only lowered it 3". i turned my torsion bars and got almost 3" lower, usin the beltech keys should drop it an additional 3", shouldnt it?
    no

94 4dr 2wd jimmy - GONE!!
    98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love