Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how much can 4.3 push?

it will probably cost you more to put turbos on it than to swap it for an old skool 350...

Ultra Flat Black Member 88S10_Blazer's Avatar
    the article on how to get 300 horses at 5500 rpm and 312 ft-lbs at 4700 rpm is in the september 2003 issue of sport truck. if you can back order it, its Volume 16 Number 09

hmm i might have that one...let me go dig around... thanx for help!

I believe it was super chevy that did the 500 hp build up on the 4.3. That was with vortecs carbed supercharger kit.

That 4.3 as also built. The issue before that, they pulled about every trck in the book to pull extra horses out of it. That was the 3/4 350 issue.

They used a big cam, and a ton of head work. They used the regular, old, non vortec style heads. I don't know why they wouldnt' use the vortec heads and work them over. They said even after all the work, the heads still only flowed about as well as stock 305 heads.

It was a lot of work to get those 300. Guys saying they're pushing 300 from a 4.3 without a lot of work, or just mostly bolt ons, are full of shit. Especially when they started with something like a 160 hp TBI 4.3.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Banned
    Yeah, the shift kit is great but will take more than a couple hours if you've never done one and your working a foot off the ground.

-I think he meant in an automatic transmission bone stock racing, because i've never seen and auto 4.3 bark the tires in 4 gears haha.

but ya you"ll get second easily with the b&m shift kit.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

yes i meant an auto tranny, i already get a little squeal out of it sometimes, is that electronic kit any good? also how do i find out what tranny i have? i know i have 3.73 gears, but i'm not sure if i have the 700r4 or the 4l60e
    NEW RIDE 89 s10 std cab shortbed 2.5 5 speed 2WD slammed 6/5
    90 4x4 2dr, primer, 18's, 4.3, rollpan, 6/6 slam, SOLD
    The only ford i would drive is a courier!

yea, a re-built trans definitely helps, i got mine done and the guy put a shift kit, corvette servo, and a hydrolic lock up in it. it barks second really hard, lot faster than stock too cause i raced a guy at a light out in PA that thought his stock blazer was hot shit. all i had on the engine was a K&N and a throttle body spacer at the time, and i blew his doors off. good times..........

Sir Mr. BIG Wooou bonestockracing's Avatar

bmxr4life87

you have a 700r4.

I understand he has an auto I was just saying that about my truck.
    91 S-10 BLAZER 355 5speed / 13.2 @ 107 on Street Tires, Traction is a Bitch
    94 GMC Jimmy 4X4 / Daily Driver
    2006 Silverado Z71 CC/SB

"Beat it to fit , Paint it to match"

awesome, is that the better of the two? whats a servo? like what does it do?
    NEW RIDE 89 s10 std cab shortbed 2.5 5 speed 2WD slammed 6/5
    90 4x4 2dr, primer, 18's, 4.3, rollpan, 6/6 slam, SOLD
    The only ford i would drive is a courier!

not sure really what a servo does but i'm pretty sure its something that times when the shift itself is, or something like it

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    I believe it was super chevy that did the 500 hp build up on the 4.3. That was with vortecs carbed supercharger kit.

That 4.3 as also built. The issue before that, they pulled about every trck in the book to pull extra horses out of it. That was the 3/4 350 issue.

They used a big cam, and a ton of head work. They used the regular, old, non vortec style heads. I don't know why they wouldnt' use the vortec heads and work them over. They said even after all the work, the heads still only flowed about as well as stock 305 heads.

It was a lot of work to get those 300. Guys saying they're pushing 300 from a 4.3 without a lot of work, or just mostly bolt ons, are full of shit. Especially when they started with something like a 160 hp TBI 4.3.
    yup...thats what im thinking... but i think tbi 4.3 pushes closer to 195 stock...at least thats what chevrolet claims...

still no one has answered my question all you talk about is transmissions... yea so what i have a tranny with vette servos and all that bs... yea i can whip any stock blaze.... but that still doenst answer my ?... is there a way to get 300 NOT 500 horses out of 4.3 with out like doing outrageous shit, like boring it out and blah blah blah, to it??? and if there is, how??? thats all i wana know...

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    getting 300hp out of only top end work is possible, but expensive. Cam, carb, manifold, ported heads, rockers, lifters. that would net you i guess around 280-300. but your gonna get about 8 mpg

The tbi(non vortec) motors were rated at 165 hp. The newer vortecs, sfi, cpi, tpi, cfi, dwi, etc... we rated from 180-200 depending on the version and year.

I don't think you answered if you were looking to make this all motor for hte 300 hp.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

[i]The tbi(non vortec) motors were rated at 165 hp. The newer vortecs, sfi, cpi, tpi, cfi, dwi, etc... we rated from 180-200 depending on the version and year.

I don't think you answered if you were looking to make this all motor for hte 300 hp. [/B]
    i believe mine is either cpi or tpi 95 vortec

Originally posted by SoulsAflame4135
    getting 300hp out of only top end work is possible, but expensive. Cam, carb, manifold, ported heads, rockers, lifters. that would net you i guess around 280-300. but your gonna get about 8 mpg
    how expencive is that and how hard would it be to do? also mine is fuel injected so i dont think i have carb... i am considering some bigger injectors though...

what about simple mods like intake, electric fan, pulleys, chip, in addition to my dual flows? how much would that give me?? about 250??

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    fan and pullies dont give your motor more horsepower, they free up horsepower that is used up to make them work. i would guess anywhere between 200-220hp, depending on motor, year and milage