Thread: 98-up balljoint failure

98-up balljoint failure

How many here have a blazers, bravadas, or jimmys that are 98-up and have had an upper or lower balljoint go bad? I have my 2000 which has 43,000 miles, today the left upper balljoint broke off while I was driving. Luckly I was driving slow. At the Garage they said all 4 were REALLY bad. I know there have been a few complaints to the NHTSA, but not enough to do anything about. So I encourage anyone who has had this happen on the 98-up's to go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint.

Yep, happened to me, not while I was driving, but they found it in the shop. I think it was just the one set, not all four. I was afread it had something to do with lowering the front by ajusting the torsion bar screws. I wasn't sure it was that sence I only lowered it about an inch or so. What do you think?

Oh yeah, what's that NHTSA and do you have a link to there site?

NHTSA

National Highway Safety Agency www.nhtsa.dot.gov

I think the y came with shitty balljoints to begin with, an inch shouldnt affect that.

My Right upper ball joint with 43,500 miles on it. this happened driving about 20mph. I just got back from California a few days prior, there I was driving 70 through the mountain passes. This really pisses me off

Last edited by 2kBravada; 04-02-2004 at 01:44 AM.

Originally posted by 2kBravada
    My Right upper ball joint with 43,500 miles on it. this happened driving about 20mph. I just got back from California a few days prior, there I was driving 70 through the mountain passes. This really pisses me off

good thing you didn't get hurt. i need to take a pic of the lower balljoint i pulled off my 90 blazer, although i caught mine before any problems i do believe it would put that one to shame.....
    My trucks have a few mods

Comforably Numb HatchetWarrior7's Avatar
    All four of mine have been replaced twice, but I have a 96. Mine went out when I was driving on a road trip too, but I just got off the highway to get something to drink. I was pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; none but ourselves can free our minds.