Thread: (Slim) 4x4 Removal

ONCE BAGGED 4X4 MEMBER Trigga187's Avatar

(Slim) 4x4 Removal

can you explain this process to me again? Did your axles go? I already removed my front drive shaft, it was loose so it caused my truck to shake ALOT on the freeway. So I figured I might as well remove the rest.
    Good Bye Blazer

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    What all did you take off to lose the front wheel drive? Do you still have any of those parts? I need all kinds of shit for my front wheel drive. I allready have the AWD tranfer case from an Astro. I'll need to rebuild or replace everything else. Since you pulled your drive shafts, are you gonna get 2WD spindles? They should bolt right up. You can probally also bring in your wheels alot to make them tuck with aftermarket lower A arms now that the drive axle's length is no longer an issue. If I wasn't going for the Tyclone AWD twin turbo thing I would pull everything off! I'd use 2WD 3 inch droped lowers, adjustable uppers, Beltech spindles, and a bag / shock combo. Throw away the torsion bars, and be done!

i wanted to take my transfer case but its bolted to the transmission with a gasket so i think fluid goes into the transfer case from the transmission. So i think you can make a block off plate to seal up the transmission in place of the transfer case but im not sure. Probably best to get a 2wd 700r4
    i started a thread about this but no one replied so i dont think many people here know about this modification

Trigga- Removing the drive axles is a bitch and once you get started, you have to finish before you can drive it. If you are planning to have that rollpan installed by me still, i told you I would do the whole remove also. The hardest part is removing the middle drive shafts (inbetween the CV joints). You have to remove the boots and working through all the joint grease, undo a few internal retaining rings and disassemble the bearing joints.

C-Town- The front half of the 4x4 chassis is different from the 2wd. Unfortunately, the spindles, control arms, and just about any other suspension component it NOT interchangable. Us 4x4 guys are pretty much sunk unless we come up with something special.

pr1mo360- I have been itching to remove my transfer case since I pulled the 4x4. It's just another 20 pounds of dead weight. I've done some research and I figure that we can remove the transfer case, and using a replacement gasket, make a cover plate to out of 1/8" or so. The only part of the tranny that has to be kept sealed is right around where the transfer case input shaft goes. The rest of the case just bolts on with out a gasket. You are going to need a plate, I'm geussing 10" in diameter and there are just 5 bolt holes through it. Remember; to remove the transfer case the shift linkage must be in 4LO (all the way to the left looking from the driver's side)
    Good Luck!
    I like my trucks like I like my women; WHITE & SHAVED!

so slim i can remove my whole front cv shaft and all?? both my front cv boots are leaking so i just wanna remove the front end... i can right??.. cus i have no idea what im doin
    BlAzIn LoW In (808) Hawaii......................In My CaNoE!!!!

AWD

How hard is it to convert to a AWD case and is that like fulltime AWD or switched and if its fulltime howstrong is it and can i lose my 4x4 shifter handles
    Do you really wanna go?

AWD, at least in the case of a 91-94 Bravada like I have, is a FULLTIME AWD (if it wasn't fulltime, it wouldnt be awd.) There is 65% to the back wheels, 35% to the front at all times, and then is adjusted as needed for slippage of the wheels. I dont know about you guys, but unless you are SET on have a 2door blazer with AWD, i'd just see if you could find a Bravada since it already has AWD in it.. But then again, I'm pretty biased. As for the bolt up, AWD will not directly bolt up to a 2wd vehicle, you need a longer driveshaft, for one, and a number of other parts. Slim and Ctown are probably more well versed on what exactly is needed to convert to AWD. I just know how the AWD works and what it does and alot of stuff baout it once its in, lol. AWD is a good idea! I put it right up there with bucket seats in teh back! :bigthumb:
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

AWD

How hard is it to convert to a AWD case and is that like fulltime AWD or switched and if its fulltime howstrong is it and can i lose my 4x4 shifter handles
    Do you really wanna go?

I already have 4wd so will it bolt up directly to that? s/t lover
    Do you really wanna go?

I think that it would bolt up, I'm not aware of any differences in the drivetrains between a 4wd Blazer and an AWD Bravada. But, one thing is that I would probably want to check all of the front end components because the Blazer isn't meant to be in 4wd all the time like the Bravada is, so some of the front end components dealing with the 4wd would probably need to be strengthened or reinforced (either by replacing them with parts meant for AWD or by some other type of reinforcing). Once again though, in regards to if an AWD can bolt right up to where the 4WD is and have no problems, I'm really not sure. Slim or CTown would probably be better at answering that question than I.
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

OK but no one really helped explain this process. What else need to be done other then remove the front drive shaft, axels, and from differential. Once the from axels are out is there anything I will need to do on the wheel end for it to drive ok?