Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heres me WELDING my body line shut

Heres me WELDING my body line shut

I learned some on the first fender I wont mess up the next one
    I tried 1/4 steel tubing and it was too high so I went to 2 1/8 tubes and it fills it nice
    let the flaming begin!
    Last edited by Forklift; 04-19-2004 at 08:05 PM.
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    nice you wont be disappointed by welding it!

sad to see those cool flames go away on that fender... lol.....

anyways i have two more panels left to weld up the body line on my blazer, cant wait to finish them...
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

lets see some more pics
    1990 S10 - Bagged - Shaved - SFBD'd

Originally posted by 8 banger blazer
    lets see some more pics
    let me do some more work wednesday, as long as my welders burn goes away!
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

glad to see you are actually welding in some metal first unlike some ppl who just fill w/ it glass and bondo.. can we say cracks???

lookin good btw
    stupid low. layin door on a 22/24 combo, comin soon to a street near you

tube? whatcha mean?
    03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

Originally posted by cab
    tube? whatcha mean?
    Im using 1/8 round steel pieces to fill it

yes meph im welding it in, screw having it crack later

hmmm thats weird i was talkin to this guy who works at the body shop on base and i was tryin to get some advice from him, i asked him about the roof rack and he said be sure to weld it and then i asked him about my body line i wanted to get rid of and asked him about it...he told me dyno glass is what he would use because it hardens so much that it wouldnt crack, hes retired and worked at the shop for like 20 years, but oyu guys think it will crack on me if i use that stuff??

just go with something that's been proven that works. A lot of these guys have welded it and alot of noobs have bondo/glassed it in. Guess who' still haven't cracked. Takes more work and possibly more money, but when you get that $2000 paintjob and it cracks on the first pothole you hit, you'll regret it big time.

ya dude i totally understand that but i dont understand how it would crack.....have you personally seen any that are cracked..the guy i talked to said he hasnt seen any cracked....and also for example when you shave your handles shut and after youd weld the body line everyone says to put some bondo over it to smooth it out....so you say not to put bondo on but then you say after you weld it to put bondo over where you welded at i dont get that..because didnt you just say if oyu use bondo itll crack??

if you fill the entire line up with bondo, it will crack eventually. that's why its best to fill the majority of the hole up with something then use some kitty hair or similiar to fill the rest, and a SLIGHT coat of regular filler on top, to even and smooth it all out.. just raw filler in that big ass bodyline will crack.
    03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

vader
    A friend of mine smoothed his wiper cowl with filler. Spent tons of $$ on a nice cadillac pearl white paint job, graphics, etc. One year later it cracked all to shit.

hey cab i agree if oyu fill it all with bondo itll eventually crack but what bout this dura glass im thinkin its kinda like bondo glass but i dont know....also what the hell is kitty hair?lol....and why cant oyu just fill the whole thing with kitty hair instead of body filler then kitty hair...im not tryin to flame or anything i just want to know all my options

pce

vader
    Kitty Hair is a brand of body filler that has small strands of fibreglass mixed into it. It is stronger than plain filler but the thing is, none of it should be used much more than an 1/8" max.

It's the fact that if you use it thicker than 1/8" it's not gonna stick that well, and it WILL CRACK.

Originally posted by vader
    It's the fact that if you use it thicker than 1/8" it's not gonna stick that well, and it WILL CRACK.

Agreed, but the thing is that it barely goes in a 16th.....