Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heres me WELDING my body line shut

i have shaved the body line on 2 of my blazers on was a b/d 2 door that i had for 6 years and the other was a 93 4 door that i had fot 2 years. i filledthe body line on both with short strand kitty hair then a skim of bondo. the only time it cracked was when i remodled the back of a cavaleir at 35mph with my 4 door. it is all in hor you prep the surface. we roughed up the body line with a die grinder and a metal grinding bit . in fact the fender that was wrecked on my 93 only cracked where the fender was folded .
    wicked to the bone i am
    you can meet me in the dark if you think im playin 4 DOOR LOVE

hey , some get lucky with it

I just love the little battle I reignited
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    yea i started a battle way back too about welding it up...

Now the thing that isnt in dispute is that welding it up will have no signs of cracking now will never crack.

Also if you read on the body filler containers it says to use it thin, not thick.

Now if you use kitty hair or bondo glass im sure that you will have better luck then just straight bondo, but there is still the risk of cracking.

some have had there luck with bondo and other fillers and some havent.. ill just stick to welding mine up, ohh wait i already did:bigthumb:

Its your truck do it how you want!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

your blaze is pimp

im not saying one way is better than the other. just that both ways work very well. welding the body line deffinently takes more time and skill. the finished product looks the same in both cases though.
    wicked to the bone i am
    you can meet me in the dark if you think im playin 4 DOOR LOVE

crack and a piece of a walnut look the same in a baggy. One will kill you and one tastes good, so
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

heres from today

good job :bigthumb: where did you get the metal rods? Are they the ones u can find in home depot?

For no reason should you use just bondo to shave the body line. It will definetly crack over time I guarentee it. You should use dura glass, kitty hair, dyno glass whatever you wanna call it to shave the body line as groundscr8pr said. Dura glass will hold its much stronger than bondo and if prepped right it will work and look much better than welding rods to the side of your truck. Its not about getting lucky with it. If you know what your doing and you prep it correctly it will work. I work at a body shop so i deal with these products everyday. I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesnt. Not to pass judgement or anything but i mean look at groundscr8pr's truck and look at phatfarmer's truck. Need I say more? Im not tryin to hate just pointing out.
    BTW, groundscr8pr ive seen your truck in person. Badass truck I must say.

Originally posted by 94flamds10blazr
    heres from today
    Exactly why you should NOT weld the bodyline shut!

bondo glass would be the same thing as kitty hair right??

Originally posted by Lucky Dime
    Exactly why you should NOT weld the bodyline shut!
    whats wrong with that pic?
    03 s10 (stock) / 90 blazer (layin body)

Originally posted by LatinKing
    bondo glass would be the same thing as kitty hair right??
    yep same stuff

Originally posted by cab
    whats wrong with that pic?
    The door is noticeably warped in the picture and if you can see that its warped in the picture i cant imagine what it looks like in person. That door needs more bodywork than it would of if he had just used dura glass.

It dont look warped to me
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication