Thread: Cancer above rear hatch

Cancer above rear hatch

I have an 85 2 door, and i an just starting to get things ready to do a body drop. When i bought the thing about 4 months ago, i noticed some rust above the rear hatch. I just thought it was surface rust, and had full intention of grinding off the rust and doing some minor body work. Well to my suprise, it is rusted through, real bad at that :eek: So my question is, any suggestion on how i might fix this? :confused: I can post pics tomorrow. I was not wanting to pay an arm and a leg to get it done professionaly. The only thing i can come up with is to go to the local yard, and cut out the entire rear roof section and weld it to mine (after i remove the same section from mine) Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help is good help.

Hard to say what you should do without seeing pics. I don't know about cutting out the whole roof section but maybe just cut out the cancerous piece and weld in some sheetmetal and grind the welds.
    Just when you thought it was safe....

Here are the rusted areas:(
    Last edited by *LO4U2NV*; 04-22-2004 at 01:00 PM.

and a close up of my blazer's cancer

oh, and there's more

Bowlin' Greens Finest. badm0nkeyTN's Avatar
    get some sheet metal.. some cutters... and wear it out...

looks pretty bad... I dunno.. some of these pros should have some ideas.. all I can think is cut and weld..

A bud of mine had rust on his roof.. he lucked out.. it was right in the area where he planned to put a sunroof.. so he got the sunroof faster than he thought..
    Blazin with a tow package... cause face it.. at some point a BL member will need to be pulled off a speed bump...

"A man in a Nissan Titan told me Blazers have no power, he wasn't laughing when I ripped the front end off his truck..."

------------------------------------------------
    i love you, maegan alwys.

if i had it.... i would be differnt..i would cut the back end out. it would be like a blazer cut into an s-10. i mean its pretty rare seeing an s-10 blazer turned into an s-10 pick up. just thinking about it would be cool. be differnt.. differnt is cool. but thats just me.. i have issues.

find a good body at the bone yard. cut out the pieces you need. make sure to cut them a little bigger so you can trim and fit
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Post ...

normal spots for rust to develop. Take care of it as soon as you can.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    wow that look really bad, if it were me i would cut out the bad and bend some new sheet metal up to fit it then weld it in.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

I went to the local (1.5 hour drive) U-Pull-Yard armed with my Sazall. this is what i came up with, now i just need to cut out the sections i will need.

Mine was getting rust there too, not that bad tho, but it was bubbling the paint.

I just fixed it, grinded all the shit down and treated it with some rust dissolver for the pitted areas.... If it comes back, it wont be for a while :bigthumb:
    this is a test of the sig