Thread: is a 4.3 worth building? or V8

is a 4.3 worth building? or V8

ive gone through the math a bunch of times and it seems that building up my 4.3 will be cheaper and make the same power as a 350 sbc. I just want about 250 horsepower at the wheels all motor, and want to spend the least i can, i think a sbc would be a waste of my time and money since i already have a 4.3?
    what do you guys think?

well that 180 horse or what ever they claim is at the fly wheel. not the wheels...
    Hold my hammer while I nail your girlfriend

Hating the stupid

Question

anyone know the dyno numbers at the rear wheels on a stock CPI blazer?
    2000 Camaro SS - M6 - Leather - Custom Exhaust |2000 Camaro SS - M6 - Leather - Custom Exhaust |
    2003 | S10 ZR2 - M5 |
    1994 S10 Blazer - DEAD - Auto - 1994 |S10 Blazer - DEAD - Auto - |

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer

but 94's are really a bastard year.

Them 10's. But They Clean donnell89blazer's Avatar
    look at the cost difference on parts. 4.3 parts are about 1/3 more than sbc. with the money you save you can swap in a stock 350 for the power you want. I know i made the wrong desition.
    Custom Creations C.C.
    '89 S10 Blazer
    Hell Yeah It's Shaved
    Built 4.3
    Heavy drop
    Former 4x4 (clip swap)

thanx for the advice donnell

ya thats true that the parts are much more expensive BUT i dont want to race the thing completely out. Do you think if i got edlebrock headers/y pipe, i already have a high flow muffler and intake system, throttle body spacers, efans,edlebrock intake and cam,higher compression pistons a msd ignition box, and a computer chip i will have around 250 wheel horsepower? thats about $2,000 and a v8 swap is a little more epensive then that plus my 4.3 has low miles. so i dont know maybe i should do the math more, i always wanted to have a ls1 in their but it seems to hard to save that much money. Its easier for me to buy part by part. Im guessing your 4.3 had a lot of mods(donnell), were your somewhat satisfied with its performance?

with headers, y pipe and all that other stuff, I don't think that you will have 250HP at the wheels.. To be honest, I dont think that you will get 70HP out of those mods, you might be lucky to get 40HP, which gets you to about 220HP and that is at the flywheel, not at the wheels.. If the transfer of energy was perfect (which, for those of us who have taken physics know it is not) then the power at the flywheel would equal the power at the rear wheels.. but if you add 40HP at the flywheel you might add 25 or so at the rear wheels. Thats jusy my guess.. But anyways, I think you'd be better off with the 350, way more performance parts available, each part is cheaper than a similar part would be for the 4.3, plus, youll have a v8.. And what else would you rather have than a nice, throaty V8 powering your blaze? I know I dream of it every night! :bigthumb:
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

Them 10's. But They Clean donnell89blazer's Avatar
    ive spent close to $3000.00 on engine alone. I still need a tranny and rear end for my blazer. but yes as of now Im happy with the power. With high compresion pistons pistons and ok exhaust Im always asked if it's a V8. When your done w/ your 4.3 you'll smoke the imports and beat mild build V8's.
    Custom Creations C.C.
    '89 S10 Blazer
    Hell Yeah It's Shaved
    Built 4.3
    Heavy drop
    Former 4x4 (clip swap)

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    Right now there is a '97 Trans Am with an LT1, 700R4 4 speed auto with a B+M shift kit, and 4.11 rposi rear with 4 link and discs in a yard next to my job. $3,000.00 takes everything except the title and chassie. You would have an '89,000 mile complete drive train including gauges, ECM, everything on the car except the actual car itself. Even the 16X8 rims are included. So, with everything down to the wiring harness available used, I'd say a swap is easier, and cheaper than a build up. I wouldn't swap for an iron block because the weight to power gain is not as nice with the LT1.

If you want somethign that will hold it's own go for the V8...a 4.3 is good, but isn't worth all the trouble YO!

Originally posted by C-Town216
    Right now there is a '97 Trans Am with an LT1, 700R4 4 speed auto with a B+M shift kit, and 4.11 rposi rear with 4 link and discs in a yard next to my job. $3,000.00 takes everything except the title and chassie. You would have an '89,000 mile complete drive train including gauges, ECM, everything on the car except the actual car itself. Even the 16X8 rims are included. So, with everything down to the wiring harness available used, I'd say a swap is easier, and cheaper than a build up. I wouldn't swap for an iron block because the weight to power gain is not as nice with the LT1.
    Umm, what blocks not an iron block? The LT1 is. Only the LS1 has an aluminum block. And with a 97, it should have a 4L60/4L60E tranny.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.