Thread: Fixing It Already!

Fixing It Already!

What a pain in the butt.
    I got my truck on the road last week, after doing my v8 swap and now i have to replace the water pump already. It started leaking yesterday out of the little hole on the bottom.
    What a pain. Oh well, i guess it could be worse. I think i'll change my timing chain from advanced back to normal as well as change the cover while I've got it all apart too, maybe put a nice chrome one on :D

geez that sucks sry to hear that but i like the idea of the chrome:bigthumb:
    save a ford for a pussy drive a chevy
    ford drivers are like tampons every pussy needs one

95 blazer 4.3 modfications coming soon !!proud to be a chevy chic!!
    lowering the blaze 3/3 drop roll pan new hood droppin a 350 ;) shaving the blaze flowmaster 40 ;) want to see pics IM me at <blazinchevymami>

chrome often = leaks

Originally posted by bigjsp
    chrome often = leaks
    ah just scuff off the chrome where the gasket goes and it'l be ok :bigthumb:
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

Originally posted by 4.3 zach
    ah just scuff off the chrome where the gasket goes and it'l be ok :bigthumb:
    Chrome timing chain cover is a...no...no. The dowel pins that come out of the block where the cover goes over them, the GM OEM cover dowel pin holes(two of them) are a little bit bigger so that the pins will go threw the holes in the cover and align the seal with the crank. The chrome aftermarket timing chain cover holes are all the same size. Meaning the cover will NOT align the harmonic balancer seal with the crank. Those dowel pins are there for a reason. If you use a chrome cover and not get it aligned up, the harmonic balancer seal will leak. Been there and done that.

bigjsp (knows from experince like myself)........good call :bigthumb:

ok well i misread his origional post because i thought he was using a chrome water pump, (that was origionally leaking)
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

if your timing cover isnt leaking id leave it alone cuz to get it to seal properly you have to drop the pan and all so the seal can get past the lip of the oil pan.. if all thats bad is your water pump then id just do that and call it aday its a lot more work to change the timing chain back and like yenko.. chrome causes problems usually the chrome parts are repop aftermarket pieces that aernt that great of quality then they chrome it and it fucks it all up and usually leaks
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

some good input guys. Thanks.
    The reason i was thinking on changing the timing cover is because when i was cleaning some of the crap off it, i noticed a small pin head hole on it, which at the time i siliconed up and left. i figured that if i was pulling all the other stuff off, i'd just replace it too, but now that you've mentioned the chrome problem, i seem to recall we did have that same problem the last time we put a chrome cover on my buddies (the holes weren't the right size)
    I have a stock cover there too, so i may just put it on to keep it simple. As for the oil pan, i've found that by just loosening off the front few bolts, you are able to slip the cover in and out without too many problems.

Thanks again for the input guys. It's always nice to know that when you have a question you can post it here and people are pretty responsive.

Cheers!

ReedZ

What a crappy weekend i had with my truck.
    First we took all the accessories off and while doing so, broke the thread hole on the alternator. It snapped right off. then we take the water pump off, no problem. then we drop the oil pan, and take the timing cover off to change the timing from advanced back to normal (I did this because i felt that there wasn't any performance increase with the timing chain set advanced with just my stock cam, as the truck seemed to run better previously before i put it to advanced) So we did that. Put a new timing cover on put the pan back on, put the water pump on. Well the water pump we got of the shelf was no good, so one of the guys put a faulty pump back on the shelf in the shop (F$#%*&*)anyways, so we got a another pump and it is fine. Got to the alternator and put another one on that wasn't broken, well that one was no good. Some A-Hole put it back on the good shelf when it was no good, so we buggered around with that and ended up stealing one off one of the other guys engines in the shop (serves him right for putting garbage back on the shelf) We got it all back together, set the timing and now i've got problems. I've got an oil leak where the pan, block and timing cover meet and now my choke light on my dash stays on and goes off intermittently, and i've got absolutely no power when i go to punch the gas.
    I checked the choke and it seems to be operating ok, just the light seems to be coming on and off for some reason. As for the power, i think that my timing is out or something, or i need to advance it. Before the weekend, i could squak the tires no problemo. now i can't even squak them around a corner.
    I'm bitter right now, and not sure what to do next. I'm hoping that some of you have some more experience with this stuff than i do and can maybe shed some light, or throw out a couple of ideas/suggestions my way to help me decide what i should be trying to do here to trouble shoot this thing.

ANyways, sorry for the long post. I guess i am just venting, as well as thinking while typing.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks again!

Cor-Man
    When my alternator packed it in on my 84 my choke light came on. Your alternator might not be good still. (putting out some voltage but not quite enough). But that was on a 2.8L