Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this engine?

What do you think of this engine?

I was thinking about what I want for a engine and I thought of this. A rebuilt 350 block, maybe a 355 depends on the block, vortech heads, a edelbrock TBI cam, an edelbrock intake manifold, a holley 670 cfm throttle body, 9.1 or 9.5 compression, and a msd ignition. What all do I need for a msd ignition. I dont know anything about it other then a coil and distributor. I most lickely will use a rebuild, built up 700r-4. I dont know what I should do about the convertor. I may also use a t-5 5 speed manual. And I will probably swap in a 3:73 gear and a locker. What do you think about all that in my 88 blazer? It will be my daily driver and I want to take it to the track on the weekend. I want a truck with good lowend. I want a truck that can light up the tires and take off fast. Top speed isn't my main concern.
    Last edited by Blazin03; 05-18-2004 at 11:11 PM.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    That's a lot like my settup. I'm just not TBI. Do you have the exact specs on the cam?

The Vortecs heads require the use of self aligning rocker arms, which can be found quite frequently for much less on Ebay. They also require the use of Vortec style intake manifold. I am running the Edelbrock Performer Vortec style intake. I was $160 I believe. You also have to run Vortec intake bolts and a Vortec intake gasket. The bolts go into the head straight up and down instead of at an angle like older style intakes. Also, there are no center intake bolt holes. There are 2 on each corner (a total of 8).

I would definitely go with a 700R4 with a 2000 stall converter. In the rear department... slap some 3.73's in there like you said.

MSD.. if you have an MSD distributor you have to have a MSD box (MSD 6AL box is the best for the buck) and a MSD coil. The Blaster coils will do. I like their newer style Blaster SS b/c it's not oil filled (filled with an epoxy).
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Originally posted by Catching Second
    That's a lot like my settup. I'm just not TBI. Do you have the exact specs on the cam?
    How do you like those heads? I am not sure on the cam size because I wanted you guys to recomend me one because I dont know much about cams or what will work with my TBI.

Oh and thanks for the help. I will probably stay with the 700r-4. I want a t-5, but I started pricing them and all the parts and it is really expensive and I heared they aren't worth it.

Freelance Gynecoligst V8S10BLAZER350's Avatar
    i have a set of those heads for sale
    370.00 for the pair
    FUELINJECTION IS NICE BUT I'D RATHER BE BLOWN
    DONT BLAME ME I DIDNT MAKE YOU A GIRL

Well I was just making ideas. I cant afford them. I dont even have my liscence yet I'm only 15.

They are only $260 from jegs. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...42&prmenbr=361

Or do you have the aluminum ones?
    Last edited by Blazin03; 05-19-2004 at 11:44 PM.

That's $260.00 EACH. It will be $520 for a set.

Oh I see. Man I wish I had some money.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    I love the heads. They were inexpensive and easy. Very good head to go with.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    you could probably get away with even 4.11 on the highway. I have 3.42 and im at 4,000 rpm at 100mph

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    well nevermind, i don't know what tire your running

Right now my tires are stock crappy 215's. But that will change. I want to run a taller wider tire with some wider cragar rims. And I wont really be on the high way. If we do go on the high way we will have 2 other choices for vehicles.

Is the camaro t-5 a 4 speed with over drive?

Originally posted by Blazin03
    I want to run a taller .......

Taller = less lower

I knew that but with a 4:10 gear, a T-5, and I wanted to build the engine for more low end I figured I would be better with a taller tire. I was thinking of only going with a 255/ 60 or something like it.