Thread: whats a body drop ??

whats a body drop ??

i was just wondering how a body drop works ?? and will it ruffin my ride up ?

There are a few different types of body drop. I'll try to explain the most common as best as I can. A body drop will lower the body of the truck in relation to the frame. On a first gen S-10, its common for a 3.5". This is accomplished by cutting around the inside of the body in the cab, separating the floor from the sides of the cab. The body is suported somehow, probably jacks too keep the body from slamming on the floor when all cut out. The interior must be stripped. Once the floor is cut all around, the cab is then lowered down, covering the frame. The floor is then rewelded to the cab, all along the cuts. Kinda difficult around the firewall/tranny doghouse. The front bumper mounts are cut and lowered too, or the radiator support is cut down. This looks like your truck is lowered 3.5(or whatever the amount of drop) without any suspension lowering. Usually done to get the body down more when a truck is laying the the frame. It does not harshen the ride any. It will lower our truck without any ride difference. This will cause clearance problems is its already lowered. You will loose head room, whatever the amount of BD is.

Now, usually most guys do this with an adjustable suspension, air bags,hydos, etc, to lay out the body. I was thinking of this with just a small static drop, like 3-3". Then maybe a 3.5 body drop, and it would look like a 6.5" drop, and ride like almost stock. My problem is that I've got headers that wrap around the steering shaft for my v8, and the shaft would hit the headers when it was done. Its not for novices to do at home. Most shops charge around $2500 for a body drop. A suv(like our blazers) is harder than a truck. Because you can't do the cab and the bed separate. Anyways, I hope this helps. Any more questions just ask, I'll try to explain the best I can.
    Last edited by ZZ4Blazer; 05-19-2002 at 11:59 AM.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Slow Ride
    To us old geezers it's called channeling.

for any of you who wouldnt understand that and it sounds lke jibberish pics of them done can be found on websites like RAW or N'Sanity customs and lots of other places just search for body dropped vehicles and try o find the frame sticking out under the car :p:

A blazer is alot easier than a s10 truck. If your doing a traditional BD you need to stop cutting the body right after the rear wheels. Save yourself alot of time & extend the step notch down 4.75" (or 3.5" if your a wuss). This will make the rear frame rails even with the rest of the truck and you won't have to have a nasty looking step in the back or cut up the rear cargo area. You will have to get a shorter fuel cell. More people are doing a stock floor BD now which is a form of channeling that is much cleaner, leg room efficient, and the stock carpet will fit! L8
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Why is a blazer easier than a truck????
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

1 piece.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Man, I'd think a truck would be cause you can do the cab and bed separtely.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

thanks guys i dont know what i would do without you guys lol but i just wanted to see if it was worth it but it sounds to me like it aint !!:bigthumb:

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    If your thinking about a full show custom that you baby like gold and you have the room to store it while you drive a beater in the winter then a body drop is worth it.
    I'd start by getting a 2WD 2 door blazer with no motor, a little rust around the bottom, but all of it windows and upper body in tact and in good shape. A few hundred should take home a decent Gen 1, more like a grand for a Gen 2, but no more then that! Be smart about what your about to do to this thing!
    Draggin iz right about the rear end thing. Leave the cargo floor alone, move up the passenger floor with the bellhouse and move it all up the fire wall. If you tub it right you can move up to bigger wells in the rear that will clear your monster notch and taller wheels all at once. You want to leave that cargo floor alone and move the rear of the frame down when you notch or else you'll lose all your sub woofer area. If you make a place to mount the master cylinder down under the floor you can stuff an LT1 in it and have a smooth fire wall. Like I said, it's not for your dailly driver. Dont expect to have A/C and all dat shiat when it's packin' a V8 with a body drop tuckin' 18's and Dubs on da rear!

A few of my buddies have BD'd trucks that they drive often. They don't drive them everyday but a few times a week. If good work is preformed on the truck you can drive it everyday. Just because a truck is body dropped dosen't mean it's a trailer queen and has to hibernate in a garage. L8
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer