Thread: VORTEC 5.7L CYLINDER HEAD same as Merccruiser Vortec?

VORTEC 5.7L CYLINDER HEAD same as Merccruiser Vortec?

So in hunting for a set of vortec heads, I get a lot of giggles from bone yards. "when you find a set buddy call me. " They are damn scarce so I'm finding. Only two sets on Ebay today, both are the undesirable 906 castings "as per chevy High Performance 6/8/2004"
    A friend is into boats, has a few vortec 5.7 Mercs around. These the same animal? Still GM casting numbers? The guy has a dozen of so motors out of boats and laying around, most with cracked blocks becasue of bad storage for winter.
    Anyone know..?
    When in doubt Gas it!

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Why not just buy a brand new pair. They're only about $520 new.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

There's nothing wrong with the 906 castings.

Damn that sucks, I had a hard time finding the heads for my TBI because all the junkyards have are Vortecs. I could've gotten a pair of heads with around 30,000 miles or so for $100/pair. The heads for my TBI were $35 :bigthumb:

Originally posted by s10blaza
    Damn that sucks, I had a hard time finding the heads for my TBI because all the junkyards have are Vortecs. I could've gotten a pair of heads with around 30,000 miles or so for $100/pair. The heads for my TBI were $35 :bigthumb:
    get the vortechs and get an intake to match it all up, thats what I wanna do to my fs gmc
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Yeah, once I get a second vehicle (hopefully the Magnum) I am going to rip the FI out and go carb. I got the rebuild with forged pistons in case of upgrades. This EFI really is a pain in the ass

RCV, no expert at this, was following from http://chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97458/
    Did you have to mods the head to get them to work? Which intake did you use? What lift at you running ?

Other option is a local perfomance shop. Fresh rebuilt heads with stainless valves 2.02, 1.96 , tri cut valves, screw in studs think they were 434 castings? I might have wrote it down wrong $890 cdn complete , add choice of rocker. He's getting them from somether in Ind. or Iowa?
    If I do the vortec's , I need to swap intake and the changes per the artical. I could get these merc head really cheap with low hours. They have rockers and valave cover.
    If I buy new from GM perfromance (1955 -present small block ,fits all except lt1, 1.94 1.5, max 4.75 lift without machine work and new valves.) I'm looking at $700 each cdn , minus the rockers. Rocker alumimum self aligining (same as lt4) $655 for the set.
    Total $2055 then I still need the manifold and valve covers.
    Anyone know of a cheaper place?
    When in doubt Gas it!

CHP later retracted that statement. I bought my heads from Scoggin Dickey a LONG time ago. They already come modified and now they offer "kits" with complete heads, Edelbrock intakes and gaskets.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...art&catid=2172

With the XE268 cam and 1.6 rr I had problems with valve float around 6000 RPM and had to replace the springs.

Good info Rcv. thanks..
    When in doubt Gas it!

Originally posted by s10blaza
    Yeah, once I get a second vehicle (hopefully the Magnum) I am going to rip the FI out and go carb. I got the rebuild with forged pistons in case of upgrades. This EFI really is a pain in the ass
    Maybe you pissed off TRON:rofl: :rofl: