Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My forced induction thread

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar

My forced induction thread

I'll recap for those who didn't get to see the starter to this.

In my basement I have 3 good 350 blocks. The was in my Blazer before I put the new engine in it. It's a 350, 010 (high nickel casting), 2 bolt main block. In the next couple years I want to slowly but surely put money and time into it here and there. Nothing to break my back or my check book over, but something to really take my time on and make it right. The 2 things that I am 100% set on with this build is that it will be stroked to a 383 and it will have some method of forced induction.

Here are the things I am thinking of doing in order.
    Have the block bored .030 over, have it machined to fit a stroker crank, and have 4 bolt splayed main caps put on (then off corse line bored and the rest of the basics). Slide the stroker crankshaft in. Get a set of forged rods mated up with some 8.5:1 forged pistons. Slide them into the engine. Get a blower camshaft in along with a Pete Jackson quiet gear drive. Now with the heads I want something with at least 200cc intake runners, screw-in studs, guide plates, etc. I'm thinking possibly a set of World Products Sportsman II's or maybe even go aluminum with a set of Brodix heads. After that bolt in some 1.6 aluminum roller rockers. The rest just depends on what I go with. And this is where the questions start.

I don't know in a few years how I will be driving my Blazer. It might just be a weekend car that never sees the rain. Then again it might be a car that I would like to drive in all weather (except winter conditions).

The 3 choices are:
    twin turbos
    Wieland 6-71 supercharger
    Vortech supercharger

I would absolutely, hands down LOVE to have twin turbos, but I don't really know if I could handle doing all of the plumbing for it. I don't know how it might be once I get this engine in there, then have little room to run the pipes. Also, I don't know much of anything when it comes to tts. Any advice on that would be appreciated. (a TT383 license plate would be awesome)

The Wieland supercharger would be slammed through the hood, shining, wining, and just screaming bad fucking ass! I would like to go with the 6-71 but I don't know about driving with it in the rain. All of that polished surface would get spotty. Might be a bitch to clean. However, a Blazer with a blower. That would just be rompy! Any information on that would be appreciated.

The Vortech supercharger would be great. It would give me the forced induction while keeping it under the hood. That would be great if I wanted to drive it in all weather conditions, but not so great if I felt like showing off without popping the hood.

So on all of those. Which one would give the most performance? What are the boost numbers I would be expecting to see from each? Based on the settup listed above, what kind of HP, TQ, and possible ET numbers might I see? I want to know anything and everything. Personal experience, factual information, links, pictures, everything.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

6-71 :boink:
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

hit me up on aim im on all the time since its summer!
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

Thanks for the Ebay links, but really for the ammount of money I'm going to be putting into the engine over the next few years, I'm probably just going to go with all brand new parts through Summit and Jegs that way I know for sure who I'm dealing with. I would LOVE to have what's in that last link though. Whew!
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

TT. No Compare.
    Damn.

You Sy/Ty guys.. could you give me a brief insight on the world of turbo technology? Like how is it that one with tt's can run 5psi on the street and then run 20psi at the track? How is that possible? Is an adjustment like that possible with a blower or Vortech?

The only thing I know aboutr turbos is that to get good power right from the line you have to have them spooled up. To me, I kind of frown on that in a way, b/c I want to be able to plant my foot down and have instant power.

Half of the reasoning behind this whole deal is back when I was about 13 or so my dad had a 1985 Blazer with a 355 and a B&M blower on it. It was tubbed mildly with a 9''. That thing rolled! It would turn a 11.30 run easy with slicks.

My goal in this is to at least crack into the 10's. I will by then have a 9'' with streetible gearing like I have now (3.42.. so maybe some 3.45s). So with that will then come the traction adders. The reason I want to break into 10's is b/c the fastest guy around here, who stole my ass one night, runs a turbo Eclipse. He runs 11.30's or so. I want to be able to find him at the same stop light he found me and get my ass back.

This isn't something that is going to happen in a day, a week, a month, or even a year. I'm looking for this to possibly be looking towards the end around the winter of 2006-7.

fuel injected TT with a small nitrous to eliminate turbo lag, I plan to have "something" maybe I can speak from experience by 2007.

Still looking for a 480E, already got a spare LS1 or two

spare LS1 or two
    Yes Jon my garage is still open for when teh time comes :bigthumb:
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

now to all if i am wrong on any of this please correct me.

boost controller is how youc ontroll boost. i dont know the specifics but i know its what most use, ill look more into it.

also with turbo lag from what ive heard unless you have insanley large turbos spool up occurs generally by 3,000 rpms. so how bad is a half secon lag?:confused:

and to be running tens youll need considerable traction adders. SERIOUSLY!

shoo be do wop!

Originally posted by 4.3 zach
    Yes Jon my garage is still open for when teh time comes :bigthumb:
    So is my hood if you need a place for that LS1. And Its an white 88. They could be twins.

Little motivation. Definantly old school.
    :smoker:

The way it looks so far is that I am going to go with the 6-71 blower.

As for traction. I'll have it by then. When I get the 9'' I'm going to be putting in traction bars (caltracs). I'm also going to get myself a set of slicks for the rear when I go racing.

Now for the next set of questions. How about building a blower motor with nitrous? With what I listed above for the engine settup, would I have to change anything if I wanted to add about a 200 shot?

A properly sized turbo will make good power, probably more than a roots, and centrifical. And matched well to your motor, the lag will be very minmal.

On tests Iv'e seen on the same motor, Hp is usually close with those 2, but turbo will own centrifical in TQ. Turbo has the ability to make full boost much lower in the rpms.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by Catching Second
    The way it looks so far is that I am going to go with the 6-71 blower.

As for traction. I'll have it by then. When I get the 9'' I'm going to be putting in traction bars (caltracs). I'm also going to get myself a set of slicks for the rear when I go racing.

Now for the next set of questions. How about building a blower motor with nitrous? With what I listed above for the engine settup, would I have to change anything if I wanted to add about a 200 shot?
    IMHO you need to pick one or the other. BUt if your going with a 6-71 you shouldnt need nitrous cause supercharger=instant power. if your still considering turbo or not and your worried about lag go test drive a new car with a turbo(wrx, evo, srt-4, etc.) see what kind of lag there is. im almost certain if the turbos are properly sized your lag time will be minimal.

shoo be do wop!