Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My forced induction thread

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    The only big thing about the turbos is that I don't know about all of the plumbing. It would be all fine and dandy if I was able to do like the guy did with that truck... put the engine on a rolling chassis, get it all plumbed, and then put the cab and body panels back on. That would be something I'd have to figure out once the engine is sat down in the Blazer. You can't plan your pipes with the engine on the stand. I also just don't know a lot about turbos and I don't have many friends who know a lot about them. So I would be totally reliant on the turbo guys on here and any other internet information. Where with the supercharger I have 3 or 4 friends who know superchargers like they know masterbation. They deal with them everyday and twice on Saturday.

This is just the plotting stage. I don't think I absolutely have to decide right now which I want as long as when I'm buying and building the engine block and what not I do it to suite all. Which I don't think will be very hard so long as I build it all forged, lower compression, blower cammed, and a larger head. Right now I'm just waving the pros and cons of each and trying to learn about each as well.

I think I do need to drive a car with each of the choices to see which one I like the most. The only thing is, the only blower cars that I know the owners off are all Outlaw Pro Street cars that cut 4.70's in the 1/8 mile and 8.00's in the quarter. I don't know that they would want me driving them for one... I don't know. I have a few years to figure it out. :bigthumb:
    Last edited by Catching Second; 06-16-2004 at 06:38 AM.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

no just out of curiosity why would you pick 8.5:1 over 8.0:1?
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

I was browsing through the catelogs and happened to spot a set of JE (I believe.. was either JE or SRP) forged pistons that were 8.5:1. I just figured that they would suite the purpose as I've heard that 8.5:1 is about what one should run with forced induction.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Go with fuel injection and either the turbos or a centrifugal supercharger. Way more drivable in my opinion plus fuel mileage would be way better. If you are going as bad ass on horsepower as you seem get some AFR 210cc heads, holley fuel injection if you do not want to spend the coin on F.A.S.T and run about 14psi of boost or so. That should be plenty to smoke an 11's elcipse.

Think about some sort of four bar set-up for the rear-end. Not sure if those traction bars prevent your axle from rotating up and down.

Check out the engine on the Chevrolet Biscayne that Troy Trepanier built called the Chicayne. Twin Turbo 406 chevy. Made 1120hp and over 1000ft-lbs @ 4000rpm. I would built something similar to that.

I don't think I want to go fuel injection. This is going to be just a weekend hot rod to go cruising, street racing, and drag racing with. So mileage isn't an issue. Not to mention I don't think once I have all the money into the engine, then the turbo or supercharger, rear end, etc etc... going another $1500-2000 for fuel injection might not look good.

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    look around for other people who have done twin turbo setups on smallblocks to get an idea of how to run the pipes. the chicayne is by far the best looking. You could buy a set of weld up headers and custom fit them for your turbos, then send them out to be chromed jet hotted or painted to look good. TT would definately get you respect anywhere you pop the hood , from anyone on all sides of perormance. everyone from musclecar guys, to imports, to porsche and bmw guys would give you props.

If you just want to show it off, get a blower. as for rain. you could have it clear coated to protect underneath but think about it, the blower probably wouldnt need to be cleaned any more than a set of polished wheels do. it is exposed to the same conditions. i have seen guys driving in the rain with 32's that dont even have hoods.

as for centrifugal. i know they are better but i dont think they are very cool. you pop your hood and it just looks like you have air conditioning. now a twin centrifugal system would rule.

Originally posted by SoulsAflame4135
    now a twin centrifugal system would rule.
    :bigthumb:

Welp, I've thought for a little bit longer. My plan for now is to do all in my power to build it with twin turbos. That would just fucking awesome. Like Souls said. I would catch the eyes from everyone in all areas of automotive performance. It would perform a lot better, sound awesome, and be different. I don't really want to go with the Vortech just for the reason that 8 out of 10 Mustangs and Camaros you see at the track have one under the hood. It's almost turned into kind of a standard in performance for those guys. I don't want that.

Yep, a pair of snails protruding through the hood would decimate all. I say you should do it a-la Chris Chow- a.k.a Gran National dyno video guy :bigthumb:

With the tt settup, what's all envolved with the plumbing. I know I work on diesel trucks all day, but I've never really looked at how the turbos on them are ran. Is it just the headers going to the turbo, the exhaust after that, a pipe running from the turbo to the intake (carburetor), and a pipe for the intakes (or just filters off of the turbos)? Is there a certain kind of piping that you have to use for it or can you just use like regular exhaust pipe with the rubber elbows and whatnot that you see on the diesels?

You've first got your turbo headers. Those are gonna be the hardest part. Those off the motor, directly to the turbos.

Going twins, you don't need a crossover pipe. From turbo(exhuast still) to down pipe. I think getting a larger pipe out of the engine compartment on the drivers side is gonna be a challange with the steering shaft there. Somewere in there, you've gotta work in wastegates.

Id recommend if your going DIY with this, going with a heavier tubing. They're gonna take a LOT of heat. Something like a modified hedman shorty won't hold up.

You've got the air intake into the turbo. Then, compressed through the turbo, out to the intercooler(highly recommend intercooler with turbo), to the throttle body.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

No way of running carberution with a turbo settup is there?

Yeah it can be done. Its gonna be way harder to tune with a carb and turbo vs a roots or centrifical.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by Catching Second
    No way of running carberution with a turbo settup is there?
    forcedpsi.com

I also had a few questions... How much HP is possible with a 350 (4 bolt mains, aluminum heads, 4340 forged everything w/ all ARP, blower cam) with a 6-71 on pump gas (94)? And what type of mileage would it get with dual vac. secondary carbs? (mileage... hah)
    And I want to keep the 350ci (no boring) to at least keep some touch on mileage.
    Last edited by slackware; 06-21-2004 at 11:38 PM.
    85 sbc blazer