Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My forced induction thread

Im sure with a good set of heads, mild blower cam, you could see 600+ hp on a 6-71.

On something like that, I'd just run mechanical secondaries. And, I think with a roots, your gonna get the worste milage out of the 3.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by slackware
    forcedpsi.com

I also had a few questions... How much HP is possible with a 350 (4 bolt mains, aluminum heads, 4340 forged everything w/ all ARP, blower cam) with a 6-71 on pump gas (94)? And what type of mileage would it get with dual vac. secondary carbs? (mileage... hah)
    And I want to keep the 350ci (no boring) to at least keep some touch on mileage.
    There is very little relevance between gas milage and displacement between a 350 355 358 or 360.

horsepower with a blower can be somewhat oversimplified to the following equation. hp= (Cubic Inches) * boost in pounds/ 14. In round numbers that will put you somewhere between 500 and 700 horsepower depending upon your pulley size, cam head selection.

Vacuum secondaries are not a good idea because the large effective plenum of a blower requires more gas when accelerating than a regular engine even, so many blower carbs are changed run the 50cc accelerator pumps. If you go lean it backfires and grenades!:blowup:

Although I have not ran a blower (owned several)... one of the guys back home had a 6-71 Blown 455 olds that he drove alot on the street claimed 11 - 12 mpg cruising and 5 on weekends :bigthumb: impressive cruiser / smoke show machine. Not really that quick because it needed traction aids, hell of a high gear roll though.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    I'm thinking more along the 6-71 deal again.

The twin turbos would cost so so much. It would take me a lot longer than I would want to take. I would want to do it right and run fuel injection which I don't really have the money for. I would have to do a bunch of plumbing and everything that I really don't know a lot lot about.

I'm not really concerned about the gas mileage issue. By then it's only going to be like a weekend vehicle. Who knows, it might not even be going in the Blazer I have now, I'm not sure. I do have a 1970 VW Beetle in the backyard stripped down. I would take a get a tube chassis made for it with S-10 front suspension, a narrowed 9'' rear, wider fenders in the rear to handle a wider tire, and put it in the front end of the VW. :cool:

I would love to put it in the Blazer.. I want to more than anything.. but I'm just saying by the time I'm going to be completing this project, who knows what I'm going to have.

I'm going down this week or next week to disassemble the block. I'm going to really see what I'm dealing with.

I'm thinking for now my settup will be a 350 (not too sure about the 383 because I would have no turbos to be spooling up or anything), 8.5:1 compression, a set of AFR heads with at least 200cc intake runners (64cc comb. chambers), blower cam, roller rockers, hyrdaulic cam, and then the 6-71 with 2 Holley blower carbs.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    6-71 is still cool because everybody knows your not fooling around, but i have found from a few friends that if you have one, lots of people wont race you, especially imports.

Originally posted by Catching Second
    You Sy/Ty guys.. could you give me a brief insight on the world of turbo technology? Like how is it that one with tt's can run 5psi on the street and then run 20psi at the track? How is that possible? Is an adjustment like that possible with a blower or Vortech?

For the Turbos, adjustement is made via the boost controller. Normally, the built guys tone it down on the street or on 91 gas. The controller limits the amount of boost sent to the engine, and bleeds off the rest via internal or external wastgate. They are adjustable. Stock syty's are controlled by computer, but for what you are doing an in cab controller would allow you to adjust to say 10 lbs, for daily driving, or turn it up at a stoplight. 20 lbs setups normally are on race gas Or using alky/ water/ methanol injection to prevent detonation

The only thing I know aboutr turbos is that to get good power right from the line you have to have them spooled up. To me, I kind of frown on that in a way, b/c I want to be able to plant my foot down and have instant power.
    If its sized right and with the right converter(automatic trans) the boost is almost instantaneous, and if the turbo is larger then the converter being looser will flash to the power range, effectively near instantaneous boost.

Half of the reasoning behind this whole deal is back when I was about 13 or so my dad had a 1985 Blazer with a 355 and a B&M blower on it. It was tubbed mildly with a 9''. That thing rolled! It would turn a 11.30 run easy with slicks.

My goal in this is to at least crack into the 10's. I will by then have a 9'' with streetible gearing like I have now (3.42.. so maybe some 3.45s). So with that will then come the traction adders. The reason I want to break into 10's is b/c the fastest guy around here, who stole my ass one night, runs a turbo Eclipse. He runs 11.30's or so. I want to be able to find him at the same stop light he found me and get my ass back.

This isn't something that is going to happen in a day, a week, a month, or even a year. I'm looking for this to possibly be looking towards the end around the winter of 2006-7.
    Damn.

Originally posted by Blazin03
    Little motivation. Definantly old school.
    :smoker:

He lives local to KC. I see him running around all the time.
    Damn.

Originally posted by Catching Second
    I don't think I want to go fuel injection. This is going to be just a weekend hot rod to go cruising, street racing, and drag racing with. So mileage isn't an issue. Not to mention I don't think once I have all the money into the engine, then the turbo or supercharger, rear end, etc etc... going another $1500-2000 for fuel injection might not look good.
    Syty.net. Search for Woundup. This will switch your thinking to the dark side of the force...... :ohno:
    I am obviously biased here... :bigthumb:
    Last edited by BoostedTy; 06-22-2004 at 12:47 PM.
    Damn.

Sorry for the numerous posts at the end, but I have lots a stuff running through my head in regards to your project. My thoughts are TT.
    See if you cant buy a frame or even the front portion of a frame off a jy truck. Then you can stand it in garage and mock most everything up. the headers will be the hardest part. But you can get the flanges from the header companies, etc. Buy a box of bends, chop saw, and welder. WIth the junk yard frame you can set block into truck and mock up and make your headers. Then the tubing from turbo to intercooler, to carb. The roundup truck will be a great tool for you to consider. I would also look at
    Ghettosled at RPM
    He is tt v6 but it would give you layout ideas.

Twin Turbo Sy

Sample pic of launch.

Dyno Slip before one of turbos let go.

Engine
    Last edited by BoostedTy; 06-22-2004 at 02:09 PM.
    Damn.

Originally posted by bigjsp

Vacuum secondaries are not a good idea because the large effective plenum of a blower requires more gas when accelerating than a regular engine even, so many blower carbs are changed run the 50cc accelerator pumps. If you go lean it backfires and grenades!:blowup:
    What carbs would you suggest? I plan on driving it as pretty much a overkill daily driver just on those good days, so like 3-5 times a week.

...Thanks for the info by the way
    85 sbc blazer

Originally posted by slackware
    What carbs would you suggest? I plan on driving it as pretty much a overkill daily driver just on those good days, so like 3-5 times a week.

...Thanks for the info by the way
    Depends on totality of the build, displacement and heads, plus amount of boost. Most blower setups run a minimum of an 850DP if not larger. Big blocks with blower go as large as a couple of dominators. :eek:
    Damn.

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    if you go dual carbs you might want one of those progressive linkages that keeps only one carb on untill you hammer it

The weiand 6-71s only come as dual carb setups

I want to keep displacement at 350ci, holley 69cc aluminum heads, ~2500-6500 blower cam, forged bottom end and run the blower between 6-10psi with 8:1 CR. I just have to make sure the carb(s) are sufficient so I dont bomb a blower or get crazy low milage. Im looking to stay around 9mpg...

And how much effective compression can you run with 92-94 octane pump gas?
    Last edited by slackware; 06-22-2004 at 09:19 PM.
    85 sbc blazer

Originally posted by SoulsAflame4135
    if you go dual carbs you might want one of those progressive linkages that keeps only one carb on untill you hammer it
    I think that would be bad............... I had a conversation with an Engine builder (who normally ran three predators carbs) when I was trying to put carbs on a streetable 14-71 blower. Most of the conversation was keeping the carbs in sync and keeping fuel going through all areas of the blower to keep the seal strips lubricated.

I like the annular discharge Holleys 9380 for the 850 and 9379 for the 750. Work great out of the box for normal applications and see no reason why they wouldn't on a blower. they have 4 idle circuits and annular booster and 50 cc pumps--- basically a mini dominator.

I am also getting the impression that you are still not giving up on a 350 and no more. Part of the reason for going to a 355 is more to straighten out the bore tapers and cylinder wear than any other reason.

'87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

Originally posted by bigjsp
    Part of the reason for going to a 355 is more to straighten out the bore tapers and cylinder wear than any other reason.
    Ah forgot about that one...

You said something about an olds that got 10-12mpg or so... It is possible for me to crank out 500+ and still get around 9mpg? I thought having dual huge carbs would kill the mileage.

(And damn right I want a blower)
    85 sbc blazer