Thread: Sub Wiring Diagrams

Dark Side Master LayinBodyBlazer's Avatar

Wiring Subwoofers---diagrams to ease your confusion...

In some cases it may be necessary to wire speakers in different configurations in order to properly match the amplifiers impedance capabilities. The following diagrams show different connections in order to get your desired impedance load.

There are basically two different ways to wire speakers, "Series", and "Parallel" Typically the series wiring configuration is used to increase the impedance and parallel is used to reduce the impedance. For the larger more advanced systems, you can use a combine both series and parallel connections to achieve your desired net impedance.

To figure Impedance: Ohms of subwoofer / # of subwoofers = Impedance in Parallel.
    Example: 4 Ohms / 2 Subs = 2 Ohms Impedance

To figure Impedance: Ohms of subwoofer X # of subwoofers = Impedance in Series.
    Example: 4 Ohms X 2 Subs = 8 Ohms Impedance

To figure Impedance: (Ohms of subwoofer x # of subwoofers (per set in series)) / # of sets paralleled = Load
    Example: (4 ohms x 2 subs)/2 = 4 ohms

To figure Impedance: Ohms of V.C. / 2 = Load

To figure Impedance: (Ohms of V.C. / 2) / # of subwoofers = Load

To figure Impedance: (Ohms of V.C. x 2) / # of subwoofers = Load

There ya go guys, hope this helps!

Team Rockford Fosgate Member
    My Street Source Mag Page
    My MySpace Page

can you please show me how to wire up 2 dual voice coil 2ohm subs so i can send my amp a 2 ohm load

subs are kicker l5 12's

I think if you wire each sub at a 1ohm load and then connect the + of one to the negative of the other. And then take the remaining positive and negative and attach those to the positive and negative of your amp. That should give you the 2 ohm load.

Use the first DVC diagram and just replace the 4ohm voice coil with 2ohm and that will give you the 1ohm per sub.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

You can wire that setup like I showed you in the PM diagram or reverse it like Harley suggested.

Series/Parallel wiring can be reversed in this instance; ie:

Series the coils of each sub together then parallel the subs together

or

Parallel the coils of each subwoofer together and then series wire them together.

My MySpace Page

The on thing you have to keep in mind is if you are running your amp brigded it will see half of what the final ohm rating you have. So if you have 2 ohm load and you run it brigded it is now 1 ohm.
    Brettboom
    Altered Egoz C.C.
    Boomvda

You're right in a sense, but it has no relevance as long as the user doesn't exceed the impedance recommendations of the manufacturer. Not really anything to keep in mind. If you have an amp that is rated for 2 Ohms mono and no higher; don't present it with a 1 Ohm mono load.

My MySpace Page

Ture SoLoudItHtz. But the low the ohm level the hotter the amp will run and the shorter the life of the will be. Always buy an amp that will have the power you are looking for. Don't be fool for the max output on most amps, because that is not an continuse output. Wiring can be tricky. Bottom line, make it some good From the bottom to the top end. (In hrz.)
    Brettboom
    Altered Egoz C.C.
    Boomvda

I also like the diagrams about parallel and series.
    Brettboom
    Altered Egoz C.C.
    Boomvda

Thanks :) Was hoping you didnt think I was trying to shoot you down hehe, been a stressful day to say the least and I may have addressed that a bit too much...

My MySpace Page

No problem. You didn't.
    Brettboom
    Altered Egoz C.C.
    Boomvda

OK my subs=2 1251 Audiobahns, there 4 or 8 ohm .... the drawing i included..is this wired correctly for the subs.....

My amp is a 2ohm stable amp. and everyonce in a while or the first part of "In the club" the amp just goes on protect. and i dunno i think its how i wired it if i'm not wrong, could someone help me wires these correctly so i can thump.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    95;Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    94; S-10

Still blazin'

if your subs are dual 8ohm, then just wire all the positives together, and the negitives together, so its a wired in parallel, with parallel you will then make each sub into a 4ohm load then connecting both subs it will be a 2ohm load to the amp, but, if they are dual 4ohm, then the lowest you can go is 1ohm, but you can't do 2ohm, if its parallel its 1ohm, you can't do all series, so you would have to do series parallel, then it would be a 4ohm load to the amp, so if im not mistaken, the only way to get that amp to see a 2ohm load is if your subs are dual 8ohm, but im tired so i could not be thinking straight, im sure someone else will help me out on this, but thats just a little help from me
    2008 f350- stock

95 4 door blazer- SAS, crate 350. th350/205 37" swampers, dana 44/14 bolt....

Sub Wiring Diagrams

94 Jimmy, 140db sound system, 2002 Blazer Front end conversion, lowering 3"

http://www.cardomain.com/id/sirweezle