Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales from the install bay

HAHAHAH she got scared...shoulda said URLL ALL MINE BITCH!!!:)

Myself and another instaler were hooking up an alarm in a Mercedes. After installing the shock sensor under the dash, he popped the A pillar to test it out. The windshield cracked instantly.
    The teenaged owner and her parents showed back up in the middle of the windshield being replaced and didn't seem to upset.

The funny thing is, the next day I was reading some kind of installers magazine, and I'll be damned if there wasn't a story in the magazine about a guy doing the exact same thing, to a Mercedes, also in Virginia Beach! The mag, I know, had been sitting around for a while, but the double take I made! Talk about trippy!!!

Dan

Caps are not for Dummies

A guy come into the shop and bought a Cap from me, and i offered to help with the install. He refused my help and said he has probably been doing this longer than me (LOL). About 10 min after leaving the shop the guy comes running in the garage yelling for a rag or towles. I grab one and go running over to see whats wrong with him, just to see shrapmetal (sp) sticking outa his hand in about 4 different places and blood every where. After calming him down i asked what happened and his reply was the Cap blew up in his hand. Never seeing this happen before, i went out to his car to inspect the dammage. When i turned the corner, all i saw was thick dark yellow smoke rollong out of his car. He went running across the lot and flung open the door with me right behind. Once the smoke cleared, i saw he hooked the wires up wrong. Since there was no fuse, it just shorted out the internals causing the liquid subtance inside the cap to boil until it exploded in his hand. The dammage to his hans was nothing compared to the car, the back seat was covered in oil, and not to mention the smell.:smoker:

dam thats great, we get them all the time , just never that bad.
    and I also broke the glass on a vehicle, but it was a Ford. Im really carefull now around the glass and a-pillars.
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Wasnt and install from me .... But my friend buys a system at the Bestbuy that just opened in my area. Hes all excited and gets a bit of a deal on the install and wiring kit. Bestbuy wires it all up in a few hours.. and my friend drives around with his system thumping ... hes going up towards the 7 11 when all of a sudden some smoke comes out of the hood. They pull into the 711 and open the hood. The power wire ... was on fire. they scramble running into 711 asking for a fire extinguisher or some water.. the guy doesnt speak much english and doesnt help them... My other buddy ends up dumping his eggnog onto the wire and puts it out.

Turns out the installer didnt secure the wire with the protective tubing on it to anything and it dangled and lit on fire from the heat of the engine.... Dad called Bestbuy and the manager was at his house in 15 minutes :rofl:

Ended up getting a better wiring kit and a free install.

Ironically I was at Bestbuy a few days later getting a deck. while I was in line the same manager guy says hey you need install we have good prices and do a good job. I say "No thanks I dont want my car to light on fire." :rofl:

theres idiots everywhere
    thats the problem hiring people, its sometimes hard to tell if they are full of shit or not

I had a guy come in with a RF 6002 hooked up to 2 12" P2 RFs in the ported RF box. He said he blew like 3 right side subs in one week. Now mind you that amp is rated at around 2000-2100 watts peak and the 2 subs rated at 800 for the pair so he is really trying to overpower them. I get in there and the Pioneer radio has the bass maxed out, the sub out maxed out , the parametric eq(you ready for this?) maxed out, the gain on the amp maxed and the remote volume knob(you probably guessed this one) maxxed out. he had the amp "bridged" (he said it) actually running in stereo. I say try to overpower them as they are 8 ohm subs in stereo so this 2k amp is actually running around 75 watts in stereo at 8ohms. I also saw the main fuse in the trunk, so I popped the hood only to not see a fuse. The power wire was run about 2" tops from above the exhaust header and was so hot that the wire insulation was all expanded and discolored. I told him what he did and that he needed it to all be redone and done right, but he used up all of our P2 12" 8 ohm subs. A few days later we got one in, I fixed and replaced the sub and he hasnt been back in around 6 months since I did it right. I guess all those maxed out settings raised the distortion levels so much on the right channel the subs didnt like it
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

ROSHAMBO anyone????? LOWnSLOnoma's Avatar
    94flamds10blazr, man this one youll like, fuckin best buy

last august, i think i was workin on this fuckin f350 puttin a jvc changer in the fucker, so i took the front seat bolts out, mounted the shit with the wires under the rubber mat, it was a stripper, vynl and shit, the shit came out beutiflu, it was so even if the fucker dropped shit in the truck it wouldnt get fucked up, so he comes in to pick it up i get him to sign the order and her goes to walk out and im like ahem, thatll be 95 bucks, he like fuck no i paid already, i was like o aight im sorry lemme see your recept, he was like i dont got it so i wouldnt give his keys to him, he flipped the fuck out on me and grabbed them from my hand, meanwhile im on the other side of the counter in the bay, he grabs his shit and goes for the door so i stopped him, i dint wanna get bitched at and shit to well im like 5'9" he was like six five, he launched me from the doorway ans waslked away, so i ran to his truck took the cd mag out and told him until i get either a recipt or some dough he aint gettin his shit, the manager couldnt believe it and sided with me, the dudes wife got there like 45 minutes later and showed the recipt and the manager threatened to ban the dude from the store if i dint get an appology:smoker:
    in life ups and downs are ok but sometime you just gotta stay LOW

_____ I[__\\.___
    [_(o)__[____(o)_]

"SLOWRIDE"

Originally posted by LOWnSLOnoma
    94flamds10blazr, man this one youll like, fuckin best buy
    that could happen anywhere. I had a customer flipout at the local place I used to work when we said we didnt have his 1700$ cash to give him a refund on the spot for a tv he put the 1700 down on. He grabbed the managers hand and started pulling on him demanding his money. The manager reached back and grabbed one of those old time credit card swipers, the heavy ones, and opened it up behind his head so the guy could see it, he let go. Needless to say he didnt get his cash or a check anytime soon , we took our time on that one.

hes one. Im under the dash of a car with my feet way out trying to do an alarm. Some kid comes flying in the bay in his pos dodge. I hear car and look up only to see a bumper coming my way and retract into the fetal position even while still under the dash. The boss jumps infront of the guy and motions him to back out before he makes it all the way in. The guy says something and the boss tells him to go park it. He backs out cursing and goes to park and the boss pulls up the chain he forgot to pull when he pulled out the last car. So this 17 yr old probably 115 pound black kid comes in here cursing him out right infront of a customer. I didnt hear the words just the tone, so I got out of the car and came in behind the boss.
    Now Im 5'9 and about 280, bench around 350 and have some tree truck thighs, Ive been sick and lost as much weight as this kid weighs. He told the boss to open the door and he said he couldnt, he had to go around . The kid starts arguing with him to hit the button behind the counter to open the door with the boss saying there wasnt a button , but he kept arguing and he even looked over the wall to see if he could hit this magic button himself. He said it again "hit the fucking button" and I chimed in that there wasnt one and I thought he should leave. He went to say something till I pointed at the door and said "out!", he tried again and I said "now" so he left.
    That little shit went around and wanted to talk to a manager. He said that my boss was cursing him out and he was going to get his dad, the cops and a lawyer. He came back later with his dad and they started talking about getting a lawyer and how they wanted this and that like a big screen and surround sound. Then we mentioned the video camera that was right above his sons head in the bay and the 2 witnesses , he shut up real quick. Then he came around and said he still wanted a radio installed and I made it really clear that we didnt need his business and never would again. They left, never to be heard from again.

"The Wireless Amp" i wouldn't put it pass new modern technology. You can already send power over IP ..

yeah but trying to send something like microwave energy around the car to a receiver where the heads might get in the way or a coat on the hanger, might as well just run some wires

ok, I got a great new one today, almost all of which I missed!
    a guy came in yesterday while I was off and got an Alpine 4 channel and some RF 6 1/2s put in his 98 ex-cab Z-71 on the factory radio. They only did the fronts off the amp and left the rears for a sub. While they were installing it and after the guy pissed off like 1/2 the store he went in the store. He grabbed a cd, headed to the back of the store and emerged without a cd case in hand, but the cd sticking out his pocket! They couldnt do a thing about it as nobody actually saw it. One of the installers went in the back and found the opened case and wrapper and the guys talking to them with the cd sticking out of his pocket! They also found him trying to stick a $4 pack of batteries in his pocket and busted him, but as he hadnt actually hid them , once again by law in Louisiana, we couldnt do anything and the guy told us to "put them on his tab".
    Well they get done with the install and he leaves. They said the whole time he was there he was an ass, all drunk or high and generally being a dick. He called back today and says his 4wd quit working after we worked on it and he was calling his lawyer and going to sue us and that he has just won a suit on a slip-and-fall against Walmart and something else elsewhere. Well he arrives and the guy that had been working on it went to talk to him, nothing wrong with the 4wd , but the speakers are clipping at max volume with the treble and bass maxed out(surprise surprise). We told him he couldnt do that and he was ok. Then he says that while we were doing the install WE STOLE HIS 50 CENT CD! The other guy told him to go around and talk to the manager. About 45 minutes later after pissing off all the front counter people, admin, and the manager , telling the manager about 5 different stories, saying it was a store bought cd, no its his, no its his daughters,no it was burnt, he said he was returning the speakers he bought. Well the dumbass up front returned them no questions asked didnt check them, didnt look, didnt call us to look at them. He told us in the back that he was going to call his lawyer and it wasnt going to be one cd by then, it was going to be 50! Well thats fraud and we heard it. he left again saying he was going to come back and talk to the boss to get a speaker box and a 12 and HE WANTED A DEAL AFTER ALL WE PUT HIM THROUGH! So he walks out, comes back in, buys the cd he said we stole from him and leaves again spinning the tires out the lot.
    Now about this time I had to leave so I went home. I came back to drop something off and holy crap had the shit hit the fan! The speakers he brought back were a tad light and fully wrapped in clear tape. The boss came in saw, them and opened them up and low and behold, they are his factory speakers in the box! The guy comes back to talk to the boss about a 12 and box, they start to work a deal and installer is an ex sheriff so he knows the plan and asks him for his keys to pull the truck in and "prep it". As he is pulling it in cops start pulling into the lot and the guy starts freakin a tad with the installer calming him down. He told him they were probably there just to look around like they always do and just keeping him calm as the guy was about to run. About that time, in walks the cops from both sides and arrest him for felony fraud for returning the wrong speakers!
    come to find out, the guys a next door neighbor to a girl that works there and he has had 5 duis, gets speeding tickets every week, and almost killed somebody a few months ago leaving a bar and has never spent time in jail as his family is the DA! and I focking missed it all. They got to parade him in cuffs throught the store and out the front, but we still couldnt get our cd off his visor , but it was worth it

heres an update on the last one

he is suing us! He said that a manager bumped into him and broke open his stitches from a previous surgury that he is suing over right now saying the doctor messed him up and thats on top of the law suit against Walmart he just won for $37k

wow this guy has too much time.. and must be a really big loser. Someone needs to give him a good beating to straighten himself out.

IT will be interesting, as you can see pay offs and favors in action vs. the justice system

more like bad publicity vs settling out of court