Thread: dose bridging a amp change ohms??

dose bridging a amp change ohms??

if i got my 2 4ohm subs wired parallel it would be 2 ohms to the amp, would it matter if the amp is bridged or using both channels? would that change the ohms?

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    It seems to me you have 2 different senarios here that your making into 1.

if i got my 2 4ohm subs wired parallel it would be 2 ohms to the amp
    Yes, you have this correct.

would it matter if the amp is bridged or using both channels?
    It would be bridged cause you just wired them mono to make a 2 ohm load. So you would be bridged.

would that change the ohms?
    Now here I think your asking if the bridged amp changes the load. NO. How the subs coils are wired is what creates the load. The amp just see's the load to create power.

What you have to make sure here is that your amp is capable of running a 2 ohm mono load. Is the amp a 1 ohm stereo stable amp or a mono block amp??

If I'm way off here, I just woke up, I declare temporary mind loss.

:p:

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

the amp is 2ohm stable 2 channel amp, and i wanted to know if i dont change the way the subs r wired at all and the only thing i change is going from bridging the amp to using both channels of the amp will the ohm load change?

does it say 2 ohm stereo, or 2 ohm mono? Telling us the amp usually helps more than having us guess or start asking these questions. If its 2 ohm stereo then you need to run the subs in stereo or wired in series and bridged. If its 2 ohm mono, bridge them in parallel
    what your talking about ,I think, is the changing of phms when you bridge the amp. When you bridge an amp, each channel now sees 1/2 the ohm load of the subs. If you had those 2 subs in parallel bridged , the subs will be at 2 ohms, but each channel will "see" 1 ohm, thats why it puts out more power. Thats also why some (most) companies will say their amps are 2 ohm stable so people think they are better somehow, I dont know how but
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    Originally posted by soontobelow
    the amp is 2ohm stable 2 channel amp, and i wanted to know if i dont change the way the subs r wired at all and the only thing i change is going from bridging the amp to using both channels of the amp will the ohm load change?
    Then the amp will not run a 2 ohm mono load bridged.

But I re-read everything you have typed and I think I have come to another conclusion.
    Do you have the subs wired into a 2 ohm mono load but have it wired that way into just one of the channels? Thats the way I'm reading it now. And now you want to know if you move it to the bridged channel will it see a different load? If that is correct, then the amp will have a 75% chance of going into protection.
    Now if you do have it on one channel, you are still only getting the same amount of power per sub as if you had it wired 4 ohm stereo. But your missing the stereo part of the sound.

My suggestion is for you to wire each sub to each channel so it will be a 4 ogm stereo load and everything should work out fine.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!